4mm vs. 5mm cable housing

Borrall Wonnell

Guest
I am just finishing (my first) rebuild, and noticed that several of my
MTB cable housings are longer than they should be (excessive bending).
The cables are marked with "Jagwire sealed 40", which I assume to mean
4.0mm. I'm not so sure about the 'sealed' part.

The cables are black, and most of the ferrules are black rubber or
plastic to match. Some are metal. The rubber ferrules seem to be part
of the housing (does this mean 'sealed'?), but given my limited
experience it is difficult for me to tell. AFAIK, all cabling is OEM
(i.e. my LBS received the bike with cables in place).

Is it possible to remove the ferrules (rubber or metal), cut the cable,
and re-install more ferrules without damaging the cable? I have my
doubts about this....so I have considered purchasing new housing.

I have seen 4mm and 5mm housing online. Presumably I need 4mm (as
that's what I already have). Can anyone point out the differences
between these two types, besides the obvious 1mm? Does the inner cable
size change? Presumably there is a weight penalty with 5mm...is this
offset by better performance? Can 5mm cable even be used with my MTB
(i.e. are ferrule sizes different).

Can anyone recommend a good cable housing? Cable cutter/tools? I
realize that this "upgrade" is not really necessary...but I want to
learn how this is done, and now seems like a good time (given that the
bike is in pieces). I've already read about the basics on cable
routing (courtesy to Mr. Sheldon Brown).

Cheers,
Dave

Borrall Wonnell wrote:
> I am just finishing (my first) rebuild, and noticed that several of my
> MTB cable housings are longer than they should be (excessive bending).
> The cables are marked with "Jagwire sealed 40", which I assume to mean
> 4.0mm. I'm not so sure about the 'sealed' part.
>
> The cables are black, and most of the ferrules are black rubber or
> plastic to match. Some are metal. The rubber ferrules seem to be part
> of the housing (does this mean 'sealed'?), but given my limited
> experience it is difficult for me to tell. AFAIK, all cabling is OEM
> (i.e. my LBS received the bike with cables in place).
>
> Is it possible to remove the ferrules (rubber or metal), cut the cable,
> and re-install more ferrules without damaging the cable?

Sure, pull of the plastic ferrules, cut and replace BUT see below-

I have my
> doubts about this....so I have considered purchasing new housing.
>
> I have seen 4mm and 5mm housing online. Presumably I need 4mm (as
> that's what I already have). Can anyone point out the differences
> between these two types, besides the obvious 1mm? Does the inner cable
> size change? Presumably there is a weight penalty with 5mm...is this
> offset by better performance? Can 5mm cable even be used with my MTB
> (i.e. are ferrule sizes different).

5mm is a MUCH better idea than 4mm..der inner wire moves more freely,
something essential to a good shifting system. Get the 5mm, metal(brass
is best) ferrules and chuck the crappy 4mm/plastic ferrule stuff. The
5mm stuff from Qual;ity, same place jagwire comes from...

Falco cutters are the very best..period.

> Can anyone recommend a good cable housing? Cable cutter/tools? I
> realize that this "upgrade" is not really necessary...but I want to
> learn how this is done, and now seems like a good time (given that the
> bike is in pieces). I've already read about the basics on cable
> routing (courtesy to Mr. Sheldon Brown).
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

On 14 Jul 2006 04:41:29 -0700, "Borrall Wonnell"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I am just finishing (my first) rebuild, and noticed that several of my
>MTB cable housings are longer than they should be (excessive bending).
>The cables are marked with "Jagwire sealed 40", which I assume to mean
>4.0mm. I'm not so sure about the 'sealed' part.
>
>The cables are black, and most of the ferrules are black rubber or
>plastic to match. Some are metal. The rubber ferrules seem to be part
>of the housing (does this mean 'sealed'?), but given my limited
>experience it is difficult for me to tell. AFAIK, all cabling is OEM
>(i.e. my LBS received the bike with cables in place).
>
>Is it possible to remove the ferrules (rubber or metal), cut the cable,
>and re-install more ferrules without damaging the cable? I have my
>doubts about this....so I have considered purchasing new housing.
>
>I have seen 4mm and 5mm housing online. Presumably I need 4mm (as
>that's what I already have). Can anyone point out the differences
>between these two types, besides the obvious 1mm? Does the inner cable
>size change? Presumably there is a weight penalty with 5mm...is this
>offset by better performance? Can 5mm cable even be used with my MTB
>(i.e. are ferrule sizes different).
>
>Can anyone recommend a good cable housing? Cable cutter/tools? I
>realize that this "upgrade" is not really necessary...but I want to
>learn how this is done, and now seems like a good time (given that the
>bike is in pieces). I've already read about the basics on cable
>routing (courtesy to Mr. Sheldon Brown).
>
>Cheers,
>Dave

Hi, if you have no bike tools, then consider one of the kits from
Nashbar or Performance. Both of these sites have 10% off online
coupons out there, just do a search for them.

Nashbar:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...rand=&sku=3521&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=
Buy it now, on sale, a very real deal. And if you are buying a bunch
of stuff, they are offering 20% off on orders over $100, ends today -
July 14th.
http://www.nashbar.com/

Performance:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=22310&subcategory_ID=4218

I bought the Nashbar version, on sale, a few years ago. It paid for
itself, many times over. I upgraded just about everything but the
headset using these tools, and the Shimano brand cable/housing cutter.
There may be a few speciality tools that you will want to add, if your
bike is not a common one, but the Nashbar tool kit at the current
price of $29.95, can't be beat. I must add, in my opinion.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Borrall Wonnell wrote:
> I am just finishing (my first) rebuild, and noticed that several of my
> MTB cable housings are longer than they should be (excessive bending).
> The cables are marked with "Jagwire sealed 40", which I assume to mean
> 4.0mm. I'm not so sure about the 'sealed' part.
>
> The cables are black, and most of the ferrules are black rubber or
> plastic to match. Some are metal. The rubber ferrules seem to be part
> of the housing (does this mean 'sealed'?), but given my limited
> experience it is difficult for me to tell. AFAIK, all cabling is OEM
> (i.e. my LBS received the bike with cables in place).
>
> Is it possible to remove the ferrules (rubber or metal), cut the cable,
> and re-install more ferrules without damaging the cable? I have my
> doubts about this....so I have considered purchasing new housing.
>
> I have seen 4mm and 5mm housing online. Presumably I need 4mm (as
> that's what I already have). Can anyone point out the differences
> between these two types, besides the obvious 1mm? Does the inner cable
> size change? Presumably there is a weight penalty with 5mm...is this
> offset by better performance? Can 5mm cable even be used with my MTB
> (i.e. are ferrule sizes different).
>
> Can anyone recommend a good cable housing? Cable cutter/tools? I
> realize that this "upgrade" is not really necessary...but I want to
> learn how this is done, and now seems like a good time (given that the
> bike is in pieces). I've already read about the basics on cable
> routing (courtesy to Mr. Sheldon Brown).
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

with 4mm, you have to use a plastic ferrule afaik. 4mm is fine provided
you do two things:

1. use sealed ferrules. there should be a small rubber donut in the end
that keeps crud from working into the housing from the cable.

2. the ends are cut off square and the strands ground flat. if they're
left sharp, they can cut through the plastic leading to shifting and
crud intrusion problems.

arguably, 4mm can offer slightly better precision needed for modern 10
speed systems, but i think it's hard to show a difference on any well
maintained and set up system.

> I bought the Nashbar version, on sale, a few years ago. It paid for
> itself, many times over. I upgraded just about everything but the
> headset using these tools, and the Shimano brand cable/housing cutter.
> There may be a few speciality tools that you will want to add, if your
> bike is not a common one, but the Nashbar tool kit at the current
> price of $29.95, can't be beat. I must add, in my opinion.

I agree, it's a good price....but I have pretty much all of those tools
already (definitely spent more than $30 on 'em, though).

Regarding 5mm housing, are there any compatibility issues I should
worry about? Should my inner cables be replaced with cables of a
larger diameter (does such a beast even exist)? Will ferrules used
with the 5mm housing fit into the cable stops on my frame?

Cheers,
Dave

http://www.jagwireusa.com/
--