4th Anniversary and a new book

ilpirata

Aug 19, 2004
On the fourth anniversary of the death of Marco Pantani, the one who humbled at one time or another all the great cyclists of his era, I'll offer a prayer. And for the cyling fans of this forum I'll include a translated article from Gazetta dello Sport that covers a book just released:

MILANO, 11 febbraio 2008 “With great suffering I have become a man, with uncountable convictions and hopes. And I have always played the game, respecting all the rules of my sport and of my life. But today I have passed over to the side of wrong with injustice and falsity, with the trick they have done to me. Who it was can not be known, but I and more sincere than my face of an evil one lets on.

So ends the letter written in June 2001 by Marco Pantani to his family. A letter not yet heard, that opens the new book “He was my son” in print tomorrow, on the fourth anniversity of the death of the Romagnolo champion. A book wanted by mother Tonina and written by journalist Enzo Vicennati. Edited by Mondadori, the book is a long and gripping trip into the breif life of Pantani- from childhood to the days of the glory, from the clubbing of Madonna di Campiglio to the refuge into cocaine and the atrocious epilogue in a Rimini residence – approached across the testimonies of many persons, the parents, especially – that with Marco have spent both great and sad moments. Testimonies that make us see a side of the Pirate by certain new verses, like glimpses never revealed. And this can help us to understand better Pantani the man. “He was my son” relives like a flashback all of the grand exploits, the crashes and the dramatic moments of that career, but it tells also of the child Marco, and the first turns on the pedals, of the passions, the friendships, of the strong ties with the sister Manola. The book unveals for the first time many tiny secrets. But also some big ones, like the lost paternity, in 2002. “Christine was pregnant, and Marco was happy. “I looked at him and saw his heart had opened for the first time in three years…A son was maybe that which was needed because Marco would have understood a change of life was needed….(Christine) was not ready, she wanted to study, get her diploma in the arts… She looked at Marco and told him that. He remained silent and dropped his gaze. It was not a matter of money. It was something else. Marco understood that it would not have worked and for him it was maybe the biggest disappointment of that disgusting year”. Reveals father Paolo: “She was cold, Marco needed a lady who could stay close to him…I am sure he would still be with us. But that child was never born”.

Vicennati gives voices from other personalities. Among these is Wladimir Belli, that we did not know had something special with Pantani, his adversary from the juniors, but apparently they always had a good relationship. “The voices that came to me were grave, recounts Belli – but I did not hear it as if about one who was to die like this for cocaine. I thought he would be able to turn himself around….I still can’t believe it finished like that…At one point at the funeral I saw his father and said to him: Finally they can’t touch him any more” “I have named my son Marco. To talk about it is hard. Because I always think of the last time that I saw him”.

and another article by Gianni Mura taken from cicloweb which I have translated:

[A year ago, in deepest discomfort we published a piece intitled YEAR : 3; TRUTH : 0. We referred obviously to Marco Pantani, who we can not not think about every time we pass this dat, that before that cursed 14th of February 2004, brought us thoughts much more simple, the festival of those in love, kisses, hugs and bla bla bla. And then the drama, or better, the fulfillment of a drama that started almost 5 years earlier, that took away for always the smile of this day.

In only one year from that article, still how much has changed! Spirals ever more open have been opened in the story of the pirate. And what was once to be considered an act of extreme faith, that is to think that any light could be shed on the truth of the last few years of the greatest climber of all time, today there is hope in the tones being heard. What has changed? The success of the Pantani Foundation, having rid themselves of the deleterious management of Manuela Ronchi and now being managed directly by the family Pantani has begun moving with decisiveness to find the truth. What was it that happened at Madonna di Campiglio? Why were the investigations relating to the death of Pantani done in such a botched way?

If the reality is not yet a clear picture, we still must acknowledge that something has happened: the proceedings of Forli have been re-opened on the death of Pantani, putting for the first time officially in relation to the drama of Rimini also that of Madonna di Campiglio. The French journalist, Philippe Brunel, has contributed in a profound way to this change of direction, with his book “Vie et mort de Marco Pantani”, collecting testimony and demonstrating the superficiality of the investigations, taken and relaunched by Gianni Mura of The Repubblic, has suscitated at the same time incredulity and indignation with respect to certain particulars, (to give one: the anatomic pathologist compelled – who knows why – to bring to his home the heart of the Pirate).

Clearly something doesn’t add up; clearly more work is needed, for as much is still possible. Clearly the wind has changed, Capadacqua, Travaglio, Cannavó have not written another line about Pantani, and probably never will again. The air is better, finally, bringing with it a sadness that is even greater, because this path was not taken much earlier and a destiny much different might have resulted for the poor champion. To write this last thought hurts very much]

ilpirata said:
and another article by Gianni Mura taken from cicloweb which I have translated:

[A year ago, in deepest discomfort we published a piece intitled YEAR : 3; TRUTH : 0. We referred obviously to Marco Pantani, who we can not not think about every time we pass this dat, that before that cursed 14th of February 2004, brought us thoughts much more simple, the festival of those in love, kisses, hugs and bla bla bla. And then the drama, or better, the fulfillment of a drama that started almost 5 years earlier, that took away for always the smile of this day.

In only one year from that article, still how much has changed! Spirals ever more open have been opened in the story of the pirate. And what was once to be considered an act of extreme faith, that is to think that any light could be shed on the truth of the last few years of the greatest climber of all time, today there is hope in the tones being heard. What has changed? The success of the Pantani Foundation, having rid themselves of the deleterious management of Manuela Ronchi and now being managed directly by the family Pantani has begun moving with decisiveness to find the truth. What was it that happened at Madonna di Campiglio? Why were the investigations relating to the death of Pantani done in such a botched way?

If the reality is not yet a clear picture, we still must acknowledge that something has happened: the proceedings of Forli have been re-opened on the death of Pantani, putting for the first time officially in relation to the drama of Rimini also that of Madonna di Campiglio. The French journalist, Philippe Brunel, has contributed in a profound way to this change of direction, with his book “Vie et mort de Marco Pantani”, collecting testimony and demonstrating the superficiality of the investigations, taken and relaunched by Gianni Mura of The Repubblic, has suscitated at the same time incredulity and indignation with respect to certain particulars, (to give one: the anatomic pathologist compelled – who knows why – to bring to his home the heart of the Pirate).

Clearly something doesn’t add up; clearly more work is needed, for as much is still possible. Clearly the wind has changed, Capadacqua, Travaglio, Cannavó have not written another line about Pantani, and probably never will again. The air is better, finally, bringing with it a sadness that is even greater, because this path was not taken much earlier and a destiny much different might have resulted for the poor champion. To write this last thought hurts very much]
For me something in my enthusiasm for cycling died that Valentine's day. Pantani is much maligned as being an example of a hardcore EPO user, particularly was at the time by Armstrong fans, which makes it all the more hypocritical. His talent for climbing has in some ways been swept under this notion that he was "cheating" against a clean pack when we all know the entire peleton was using EPO in the mid to late 90's. There's yet to be another cyclist to even come close to matching the Pantani magic - his a mix of pure talent, flamboyance and what Italians refer to as grinta. My big regret is that I never saw him ride but I did see Arsmtrong ride up Alpe D'Huez (and what a waste of time that was).