4th place Champ

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bc, Jun 7, 2004.

  1. Bc

    Bc Guest

    It's disappointing that in the #1 race on the domestic
    calendar unknown Euros can come over and take 1&2. Is
    the US Peloton that far behind? An what's with
    HealthNet? No American on the roster worthy of being set-
    up for the finale?

    Tags:

  2. Jim Flom

    Jim Flom Guest

    "BC" wrote ...
    > It's disappointing that in the #1 race on the domestic
    > calendar unknown Euros can come over and take 1&2. Is the
    > US Peloton that far behind?

    Americans have won 10 of the 20 USPro cycling championships.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/jun03/wachovia03/?id=U-
    SPRO_results Nothing wrong with that.

    JF

  3. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "BC" wrote ...
    > > It's disappointing that in the #1 race on the domestic
    > > calendar unknown Euros can come over and take 1&2. Is
    > > the US Peloton that far behind?
    >
    > Americans have won 10 of the 20 USPro cycling
    > championships. http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/jun03-
    > /wachovia03/?id=USPRO_results Nothing wrong with that.

    No one is marking the Euros and all of the top US riders are
    busy marking each other. What the hell would you expect from
    a situation like that?

  4. Tom Kunich wrote:

    > "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>"BC" wrote ...
    >>
    >>>It's disappointing that in the #1 race on the domestic
    >>>calendar unknown Euros can come over and take 1&2. Is the
    >>>US Peloton that far behind?
    >>
    >>Americans have won 10 of the 20 USPro cycling
    >>championships. http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/jun03-
    >>/wachovia03/?id=USPRO_results Nothing wrong with that.
    >

    > No one is marking the Euros and all of the top US riders
    > are busy marking each other. What the hell would you
    > expect from a situation like that?

    Effectively this was a small escape bunch at the end that
    Freddy managed to latch onto the back of. I'm surprised he
    got away with it.

  5. Kaiser

    Kaiser Guest

    Americans are only batting .500 in their own domestic
    championships race, yet the field is always predominantly
    compsed of Americans. A few Europeans come over to latch on
    to the free gravy giveaway.

    We may as well turn the race back into a 100k crit like they
    did back in 83 (when Johnny Useless took the stars and
    stripes jersey with his 15th place behind Phinney and Bauer)

    Seems Eddy B was right when he said that most new US Pros
    take out their licenses so they can brag to their
    girlfriends that they are pro bike racers.

    "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "BC" wrote ...
    > > It's disappointing that in the #1 race on the domestic
    > > calendar unknown Euros can come over and take 1&2. Is
    > > the US Peloton that far behind?
    >
    > Americans have won 10 of the 20 USPro cycling
    > championships. http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/jun03-
    > /wachovia03/?id=USPRO_results Nothing wrong with that.
    >
    > JF

  6. Jim Flom

    Jim Flom Guest

    "kaiser" wrote...
    > Americans are only batting .500 in their own domestic
    > championships race, yet the field is always predominantly
    > compsed of Americans. A few Europeans come over to latch
    > on to the free gravy giveaway.
    >
    > THAT'S PRETTY F------- SAD.

    It's better than the French and the TdF.

    Jim Flom

  7. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "kaiser" wrote...
    > > Americans are only batting .500 in their own domestic
    > > championships race, yet the field is always
    > > predominantly compsed of Americans. A few Europeans come
    > > over to latch on to the free gravy giveaway.
    > >
    > > THAT'S PRETTY F------- SAD.
    >
    > It's better than the French and the TdF.

    Why do you suppose they close the French national
    championships to French only?

  8. [email protected] (kaiser) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Americans are only batting .500 in their own domestic
    > championships race, yet the field is always predominantly
    > compsed of Americans. A few Europeans come over to latch
    > on to the free gravy giveaway.

    It's a European sport.

    > We may as well turn the race back into a 100k crit like
    > they did back in 83 (when Johnny Useless took the stars
    > and stripes jersey with his 15th place behind Phinney
    > and Bauer)

    Eustice deserves a lot more respect than that.

    > Seems Eddy B was right when he said that most new US Pros
    > take out their licenses so they can brag to their
    > girlfriends that they are pro bike racers.

    No, he was wrong. Most bike racers do not have girlfriends,
    nor would that be likely to help one get a girlfriend. Most
    racers turn pro to compensate for having been awful at
    dodgeball.

    -RJ

    PS Not every Eddie in cycling is spelled 'Eddy.' Only Eddy
    spells it that way. If you can't spell Borysewicz, at
    least get Eddie right.

    > "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "BC" wrote ...
    > > > It's disappointing that in the #1 race on the domestic
    > > > calendar unknown Euros can come over and take 1&2. Is
    > > > the US Peloton that far behind?
    > >
    > > Americans have won 10 of the 20 USPro cycling
    > > championships. http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/jun-
    > > 03/wachovia03/?id=USPRO_results Nothing wrong with that.
    > >
    > > JF

  9. Jim Flom

    Jim Flom Guest

    "Tom Kunich" ...

    > Why do you suppose they close the French national
    > championships to French only?

    I'll bet it's so that it's harder for a foreigner to win.

  10. On 8 Jun 2004 18:22:16 -0700, [email protected] (Ronaldo
    Jeremiah) wrote:

    >Eustice deserves a lot more respect than that.

    Its OK, he did OK on the commissions for the white sun block
    he seemed to be wearing all the time. If he could have swung
    it into the same kind of craze that Greg did with the wrap-
    around sunglasses, he'd be a rich man today...

    Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on
    two wheels...

  11. Kaiser

    Kaiser Guest

    I think John used the zinc oxide due to the massive facial
    scars he sustained from a very bad crash not long before
    that. But man, he sure looked like a Fred with that getup.

    No disrespect intened towards John. Great bike racer. I just
    can never resist using his old nickname.

    But I'd be content having no national champion at all for a
    year if no US rider can even crack the top-10 in the champs.

    Curtis L. Russell <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 8 Jun 2004 18:22:16 -0700, [email protected]
    > (Ronaldo Jeremiah) wrote:
    >
    > >Eustice deserves a lot more respect than that.
    >
    > Its OK, he did OK on the commissions for the white sun
    > block he seemed to be wearing all the time. If he could
    > have swung it into the same kind of craze that Greg did
    > with the wrap-around sunglasses, he'd be a rich man
    > today...
    >
    > Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two
    > wheels...

  12. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, kaiser
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I think John used the zinc oxide due to the massive facial
    > scars he sustained from a very bad crash not long before
    > that. But man, he sure looked like a Fred with that getup.
    >
    > No disrespect intened towards John. Great bike racer. I
    > just can never resist using his old nickname.

    Yes, a bike racer without a cool nickname would be
    useless, eh?

    -WG (East Coast during the 80's)

  13. On 9 Jun 2004 16:09:15 -0700, [email protected] (kaiser) wrote:

    >But I'd be content having no national champion at all
    >for a year if no US rider can even crack the top-10 in
    >the champs.

    There were three or four in the top 10 this year, and I
    think that is typical.

    JT

  14. Kaiser

    Kaiser Guest

    Well, lets at least settle on some standard of excllence.
    How about cracking the top-three in order to qualify for a
    championship jersey?

    John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote in