4th place Champ

Bc

Guest
It's disappointing that in the #1 race on the domestic
calendar unknown Euros can come over and take 1&2. Is
the US Peloton that far behind? An what's with
HealthNet? No American on the roster worthy of being set-
up for the finale?

"Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "BC" wrote ...
> > It's disappointing that in the #1 race on the domestic
> > calendar unknown Euros can come over and take 1&2. Is
> > the US Peloton that far behind?
>
> Americans have won 10 of the 20 USPro cycling
> championships. http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/jun03-
> /wachovia03/?id=USPRO_results Nothing wrong with that.

No one is marking the Euros and all of the top US riders are
busy marking each other. What the hell would you expect from
a situation like that?

Tom Kunich wrote:

> "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>>"BC" wrote ...
>>
>>>It's disappointing that in the #1 race on the domestic
>>>calendar unknown Euros can come over and take 1&2. Is the
>>>US Peloton that far behind?
>>
>>Americans have won 10 of the 20 USPro cycling
>>championships. http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/jun03-
>>/wachovia03/?id=USPRO_results Nothing wrong with that.
>

> No one is marking the Euros and all of the top US riders
> are busy marking each other. What the hell would you
> expect from a situation like that?

Effectively this was a small escape bunch at the end that
Freddy managed to latch onto the back of. I'm surprised he
got away with it.

Americans are only batting .500 in their own domestic
championships race, yet the field is always predominantly
compsed of Americans. A few Europeans come over to latch on
to the free gravy giveaway.

We may as well turn the race back into a 100k crit like they
did back in 83 (when Johnny Useless took the stars and
stripes jersey with his 15th place behind Phinney and Bauer)

Seems Eddy B was right when he said that most new US Pros
take out their licenses so they can brag to their
girlfriends that they are pro bike racers.

"Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "BC" wrote ...
> > It's disappointing that in the #1 race on the domestic
> > calendar unknown Euros can come over and take 1&2. Is
> > the US Peloton that far behind?
>
> Americans have won 10 of the 20 USPro cycling
> championships. http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/jun03-
> /wachovia03/?id=USPRO_results Nothing wrong with that.
>
> JF

"kaiser" wrote...
> Americans are only batting .500 in their own domestic
> championships race, yet the field is always predominantly
> compsed of Americans. A few Europeans come over to latch
> on to the free gravy giveaway.
>
> THAT'S PRETTY F------- SAD.

It's better than the French and the TdF.

Jim Flom

> "kaiser" wrote...
> > Americans are only batting .500 in their own domestic
> > championships race, yet the field is always
> > predominantly compsed of Americans. A few Europeans come
> > over to latch on to the free gravy giveaway.
> >
> > THAT'S PRETTY F------- SAD.
>
> It's better than the French and the TdF.

Why do you suppose they close the French national
championships to French only?

[email protected] (kaiser) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Americans are only batting .500 in their own domestic
> championships race, yet the field is always predominantly
> compsed of Americans. A few Europeans come over to latch
> on to the free gravy giveaway.

It's a European sport.

> We may as well turn the race back into a 100k crit like
> they did back in 83 (when Johnny Useless took the stars
> and stripes jersey with his 15th place behind Phinney
> and Bauer)

Eustice deserves a lot more respect than that.

> Seems Eddy B was right when he said that most new US Pros
> take out their licenses so they can brag to their
> girlfriends that they are pro bike racers.

No, he was wrong. Most bike racers do not have girlfriends,
nor would that be likely to help one get a girlfriend. Most
racers turn pro to compensate for having been awful at
dodgeball.

-RJ

PS Not every Eddie in cycling is spelled 'Eddy.' Only Eddy
spells it that way. If you can't spell Borysewicz, at
least get Eddie right.

> "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > "BC" wrote ...
> > > It's disappointing that in the #1 race on the domestic
> > > calendar unknown Euros can come over and take 1&2. Is
> > > the US Peloton that far behind?
> >
> > Americans have won 10 of the 20 USPro cycling
> > championships. http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/jun-
> > 03/wachovia03/?id=USPRO_results Nothing wrong with that.
> >
> > JF

"Tom Kunich" ...

> Why do you suppose they close the French national
> championships to French only?

I'll bet it's so that it's harder for a foreigner to win.

On 8 Jun 2004 18:22:16 -0700, [email protected] (Ronaldo
Jeremiah) wrote:

>Eustice deserves a lot more respect than that.

Its OK, he did OK on the commissions for the white sun block
he seemed to be wearing all the time. If he could have swung
it into the same kind of craze that Greg did with the wrap-
around sunglasses, he'd be a rich man today...

Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on
two wheels...

I think John used the zinc oxide due to the massive facial
scars he sustained from a very bad crash not long before
that. But man, he sure looked like a Fred with that getup.

No disrespect intened towards John. Great bike racer. I just
can never resist using his old nickname.

But I'd be content having no national champion at all for a
year if no US rider can even crack the top-10 in the champs.

Curtis L. Russell <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On 8 Jun 2004 18:22:16 -0700, [email protected]
> (Ronaldo Jeremiah) wrote:
>
> >Eustice deserves a lot more respect than that.
>
> Its OK, he did OK on the commissions for the white sun
> block he seemed to be wearing all the time. If he could
> have swung it into the same kind of craze that Greg did
> with the wrap-around sunglasses, he'd be a rich man
> today...
>
> Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two
> wheels...

In article <[email protected]>, kaiser
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I think John used the zinc oxide due to the massive facial
> scars he sustained from a very bad crash not long before
> that. But man, he sure looked like a Fred with that getup.
>
> No disrespect intened towards John. Great bike racer. I
> just can never resist using his old nickname.

Yes, a bike racer without a cool nickname would be
useless, eh?

-WG (East Coast during the 80's)

On 9 Jun 2004 16:09:15 -0700, [email protected] (kaiser) wrote:

>But I'd be content having no national champion at all
>for a year if no US rider can even crack the top-10 in
>the champs.

There were three or four in the top 10 this year, and I
think that is typical.

JT

Well, lets at least settle on some standard of excllence.
How about cracking the top-three in order to qualify for a
championship jersey?

John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote in