4WDs and bikes in roundabouts

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by SteveA, Apr 11, 2005.

  1. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    Coming home on Sat morning from a lazy 40km ride, I had a stupid woman in a 4WD cut me off in a single lane roundabout so she could beat me out the other side. I took evasive action. I then chased her to the next T intersection where she had to wait for traffic. I got right up beside her drivers window but she hit the electric windows button so I could not have a chat to her about her actions. I must have looked a bit fierce about being cut off as she also hit the central locking button as well. Then she just sat staring straight ahead.

    I had a double espresso mid ride and 2 gels full of caffeine during the ride - did this have anything to do with my reaction to this woman, or was I really well controlled considering she deserved to have frame pump prints across the bonnet and cleat marks down her doors ? :cool:

    SteveA

    Tags:

  2. >>>>> "SteveA" == SteveA <[email protected]> writes:

    SteveA> I had a double espresso mid ride and 2 gels full of caffeine
    SteveA> during the ride - did this have anything to do with my
    SteveA> reaction to this woman, or was I really well controlled
    SteveA> considering she deserved to have frame pump prints across
    SteveA> the bonnet and cleat marks down her doors ? :cool:

    Must be something in the air. Normally I just shrug off rudeness from
    motorists but not this evening.

    Riding home up Nepean and was at the junction of Bay Road. Lights
    changed, took off. Was cycling along the entrance to the car park and a
    P plater took umbrage and tooted me.

    Normally I let these things go, however it was about 17:45 so figured
    I'd have a good chance of catching her in the car park.

    Found the car but the driver had already decamped. Was just about to
    head off when she came out with her friend who she was obviously picking
    up.

    Cycled up to car and tapped on her window. She looked at me, realized
    who I was and did a passable impression of a startled rabbit caught in
    the headlights. I think I gave her a bit of a scare. Told her tooting
    cyclists wasn't on and left it at that.

    Probably not the right thing to do but man did I leave with a smile on
    my face. Her face was a picture.
    --
    Cheers
    Euan

  3. geoffs

    geoffs New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2003
    Spend most of my time on the tandem lately so the most I am allowed to do is swear a bit when wallified. However in days gone by......... did you realise that if you give most cars most cars a thud on the side window with an elbow or a palm strike, they break really easily. Expensive cars have laminated side widows.
    I call it a wally fine.

    Life doesn't exist before coffee

    Cheers

    Geoff

  4. Brett

    Brett Guest

    SteveA <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I had a double espresso mid ride and 2 gels full of caffeine during
    > the ride - did this have anything to do with my reaction to this
    > woman, or was I really well controlled considering she deserved to
    > have frame pump prints across the bonnet and cleat marks down her
    > doors ? :cool:
    >
    > SteveA

    Well controlled I would have said.

    Cheers

    Brett

  5. When approaching a roundabout I get in the middle of the lane, so I cant be
    cut off.

    A bike goes as fast thru a roundabout about as quick as a car anyway (as
    long as you dont have to stop or slow right down before entering).

    Paul

    news:[email protected]

  6. geoffs wrote:

    > ...did you realise that if you give most cars most cars a thud on the side
    > window with an elbow or a palm strike, they break really easily.
    > Expensive cars have laminated side widows.
    > I call it a wally fine.

    I smashed a rear car window with my elbow. Can't tell you how much it hurt
    at the time, because I was knocked unconcious (with short term memory loss),
    but my elbow bloody hurt for a week afterwards... Not as much as my head though...
    --
    Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org>

  7. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 at 11:03 GMT, Katharine & Paul (aka Bruce)
    > When approaching a roundabout I get in the middle of the lane, so I cant be
    > cut off.
    >
    > A bike goes as fast thru a roundabout about as quick as a car anyway (as
    > long as you dont have to stop or slow right down before entering).

    Pffft. I go much faster than cars, as long as I can gauge the safety
    of doing so. Therefore, I learn to cross into the middle well before
    the rounbdabout, or I end up just waiting for the idiot who just
    passed me. (Similarly for turning left at intersections. There is a
    whole lane free, yet everyone seems so reluctant to use it to turn
    into. There's no risk of crashing, because there are no idiots on the
    road who don't use their indicators 30m before changing lanes (as
    required by law), are there?)

    I also accelarate much quicker out the roundabout (and off traffic
    lights, as long as my feet are in the clips) than any car, so the
    "unless stopping or slowing right down before entering" phrase doesn't
    become relevant.

    Quick question: What bite sized sound bite could I come up with for
    motorists who get upset at me sitting in the middle of the road with
    right arm outstretched waiting to turn right? Would they be as upset
    with me if I was in a car and blocking the entire lane instead of just
    the right 1 foot of it?

    And for the important things in life:
    "If you teach a child to read, he or her can pass a literacy test"
    -- George "Dubya" Boosh - president of the Yoonited States.

  8. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    think you did well considering. moving into the middle of lane to 'take ownership' of the entry is definelty the way to go, and yes as per TimC i also go thru far faster than cars can/do. of course it challenges their tiny bits nd they HAVE to accelerate past.

    Riding home tonight a saw a guy blabbing on mobby about to puul out of sidestreet. I rode past him mimmicking him by holding up my hand with thumb/little out, frowning at him as i blabbed on my 'phone'. He pulled out behind me, blaired horn at me as he zoomed past.
    twat, Im thinkun...
    Next set of lights he's waiting at em. hmmm what to do?
    Pull up next to him on driver's side and just stare at him, totally expressionless.
    He is lookin REAL nervous. I start mouthng at him as if Im speakin.
    Of course he cant hear me (cos Im not actually making any noise).
    so he winds window down carefully.
    I keep mouthing at him silently. He's gettin real confused now and blurts
    "what are you talkin about?"
    I smile and quickly tap him on the arm.
    "You're it!" and i ride off. hahahahahahaha
    I look back and he's smilin.
    Put one down for the Dutch :D:D:D

    F"Tiggy-Bandit"Dutch

  9. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    I got rear-ended when I was doing that and then had to give way.
    Fortunately it was right outside an open bikeshop.

    That roundabout a bike turning right was about twice as fast as a car.

  10. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 at 12:34 GMT, flyingdutch (aka Bruce)
    > Riding home tonight a saw a guy blabbing on mobby about to puul out of
    > sidestreet. I rode past him mimmicking him by holding up my hand with
    > thumb/little out, frowning at him as i blabbed on my 'phone'. He pulled
    > out behind me, blaired horn at me as he zoomed past.
    > twat, Im thinkun...
    > Next set of lights he's waiting at em. hmmm what to do?
    > Pull up next to him on driver's side and just stare at him, totally
    > expressionless.
    > He is lookin REAL nervous. I start mouthng at him as if Im speakin.
    > Of course he cant hear me (cos Im not actually making any noise).
    > so he winds window down carefully.
    > I keep mouthing at him silently. He's gettin real confused now and
    > blurts
    > "what are you talkin about?"
    > I smile and quickly tap him on the arm.
    > "You're it!" and i ride off. hahahahahahaha

    We so want your drugs :)

    That was great.

    Black holes are where God divided by zero. -- Steven Wright

  11. Gags

    Gags Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]

    > SteveA Wrote:
    > > Coming home on Sat morning from a lazy 40km ride, I had a stupid woman
    > > in a 4WD cut me off in a single lane roundabout so she could beat me
    > > out the other side. I took evasive action. I then chased her to the
    > > next T intersection where she had to wait for traffic. I got right up
    > > beside her drivers window but she hit the electric windows button so I
    > > could not have a chat to her about her actions. I must have looked a
    > > bit fierce about being cut off as she also hit the central locking
    > > button as well. Then she just sat staring straight ahead.
    > >
    > > I had a double espresso mid ride and 2 gels full of caffeine during the
    > > ride - did this have anything to do with my reaction to this woman, or
    > > was I really well controlled considering she deserved to have frame
    > > pump prints across the bonnet and cleat marks down her doors ? :cool:
    > >
    > > SteveA

    > think you did well considering. moving into the middle of lane to
    > 'take ownership' of the entry is definelty the way to go, and yes as
    > per TimC i also go thru far faster than cars can/do. of course it
    > challenges their tiny bits nd they HAVE to accelerate past.
    >
    > Riding home tonight a saw a guy blabbing on mobby about to puul out of
    > sidestreet. I rode past him mimmicking him by holding up my hand with
    > thumb/little out, frowning at him as i blabbed on my 'phone'. He pulled
    > out behind me, blaired horn at me as he zoomed past.
    > twat, Im thinkun...
    > Next set of lights he's waiting at em. hmmm what to do?
    > Pull up next to him on driver's side and just stare at him, totally
    > expressionless.
    > He is lookin REAL nervous. I start mouthng at him as if Im speakin.
    > Of course he cant hear me (cos Im not actually making any noise).
    > so he winds window down carefully.
    > I keep mouthing at him silently. He's gettin real confused now and
    > blurts
    > "what are you talkin about?"
    > I smile and quickly tap him on the arm.
    > "You're it!" and i ride off. hahahahahahaha
    > I look back and he's smilin.
    > Put one down for the Dutch :D:D:D
    >
    > F"Tiggy-Bandit"Dutch
    >
    > --
    > flyingdutch

    hehehehe....nice one dutch........will have to add that one to the memory
    banks!!!

    I don't know what it is lately but I have had quite a few near misses.....

    The other morning I had a bit of a rear wheel slide happening at about 45
    km/h (pretty scary) as I was going over some of those red ripple strip
    thingos in the wet (the ones at the bottom of the hill near the reserve at
    Heidelberg that the BR goes on just before Burgundy St). Later on the same
    ride I was Southbound on Wellington St (near the Clifton Hill end) and
    riding in the bike lane when a garbage truck (industrial bin type) came from
    one of the side streets on the left and stopped just before the bike
    lane......trouble was, he still had his two steel prong bizzos lowered and
    so they pretty well went right across the bike lane. I was doing between 30
    and 35kph and had fark all time to react. There was no way I was going to
    stop and so I swerved right and hoped like hell that nothing was coming up
    behind me (there was one guy but thankfully he gave me some room).

    Another day last week, I was riding Northbound on Wellington St in the arvo
    and coming up to the lights at Alexandra when a car door in the parking lane
    suddenly flung open and a girl lurched out into the bike lane. It was a two
    door hatch and so the door was pretty wide, and then the chick sorta
    stumbled as she came out and ended up right in the middle of the bike lane.
    The traffic was already stopped for the lights and so I had nowhere to go to
    the right and I did an emergency stop (back wheel came off the ground a bit)
    and at the same time said pretty loudly "fckin idiot". I stopped probably a
    foot or so before this chick who then (along with her three friends) had the
    nerve to have a go at me. I basically told them in no uncertain terms to
    step into the room of mirrors and have a good hard look at themselves and
    then kept riding.........morons.

    I am seriously considering bypassing this road as it is the same one that I
    was cleaned up on a couple of years ago and I am getting too many near
    misses for comfort.

    Ride On,

    Gags

  12. BrettS

    BrettS Guest

    SteveA wrote:

    > Coming home on Sat morning from a lazy 40km ride, I had a stupid woman
    > in a 4WD cut me off in a single lane roundabout so she could beat me
    > out the other side. I took evasive action. I then chased her to the
    > next T intersection where she had to wait for traffic. I got right up
    > beside her drivers window but she hit the electric windows button so I
    > could not have a chat to her about her actions. I must have looked a
    > bit fierce about being cut off as she also hit the central locking
    > button as well. Then she just sat staring straight ahead.

    Did she see you coming or were you yelling?

    > I had a double espresso mid ride and 2 gels full of caffeine during the
    > ride -

    Holy cow! 4 shots of caffeine for a lazy 40km ride? What do you need
    to get you through a fast one? ;-)

    > did this have anything to do with my reaction to this woman, or
    > was I really well controlled considering she deserved to have frame
    > pump prints across the bonnet and cleat marks down her doors ? :cool:

    No, I sometimes have the same reaction without the elevated caffeine
    levels. In fact, I'd dosed up on coffee before my race yesterday and
    was surprisingly calm after being shunted off the road...

    You also have to weigh up the risk of bending your pump... I know the
    feeling when a cager invades your space - the heart rate jumps and you
    just want to chase them down and beat them over the head with a clue
    stick. Well done for showing restraint.

    --
    BrettS

  13. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    Fantastic that you left him smiling, maybe even converted to cyclists being people.
    Good one!

  14. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 at 13:42 GMT, Gags (aka Bruce)
    > The other morning I had a bit of a rear wheel slide happening at about 45
    > km/h (pretty scary) as I was going over some of those red ripple strip
    > thingos in the wet (the ones at the bottom of the hill near the reserve at
    > Heidelberg that the BR goes on just before Burgundy St).

    What the hell is the go with those?

    > Later on the same ride I was Southbound on Wellington St (near the
    > Clifton Hill end) and riding in the bike lane when a garbage truck
    > (industrial bin type) came from one of the side streets on the left
    > and stopped just before the bike lane......trouble was, he still had
    > his two steel prong bizzos lowered and so they pretty well went
    > right across the bike lane.

    In Melbourne, something happens I have never seen before. It is
    universal that people wait at an intersection hanging well over the
    line into the left-most lane. I guess it's just an extension of
    Melbourne drivers disbeleif in the concept of a "lane"?

    They come up to the instersection at a rate that would be impossible
    to stop behind the line, even if they did see a truck coming at the
    last moment. They'll be busy looking the other way, and won't even
    notice that they parked their front out into the path of a B-double
    until it is too late. Alas, that never happens, but they do park
    their front in the path of *me* before looking.

    Bus error -- driver executed.

  15. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 at 13:49 GMT, BrettS (aka Bruce)
    > You also have to weigh up the risk of bending your pump... I know the
    > feeling when a cager invades your space - the heart rate jumps and you
    > just want to chase them down and beat them over the head with a clue
    > stick.

    Hmmm. How's a vistalight for this purpose? I've been given the
    go-ahead to put a bike light on mum's credit card for my upcoming
    b'day :)

    Modus Ponens in action:
    - Nothing is better than world peace.
    - A turkey sandwich is better than nothing.
    ==> Ergo, a turkey sandwich is better than world peace. --unknown

  16. Marty

    Marty Guest

    SteveA wrote:
    > Coming home on Sat morning from a lazy 40km ride, I had a stupid woman
    > in a 4WD cut me off in a single lane roundabout so she could beat me
    > out the other side. I took evasive action. I then chased her to the
    > next T intersection where she had to wait for traffic. I got right up
    > beside her drivers window but she hit the electric windows button so I
    > could not have a chat to her about her actions. I must have looked a
    > bit fierce about being cut off as she also hit the central locking
    > button as well. Then she just sat staring straight ahead.
    >
    > I had a double espresso mid ride and 2 gels full of caffeine during the
    > ride - did this have anything to do with my reaction to this woman, or
    > was I really well controlled considering she deserved to have frame
    > pump prints across the bonnet and cleat marks down her doors ? :cool:
    >
    > SteveA

    Reminds me of Phineas from the Furry Freak brothers.
    He's riding along on his bike with a heap of amyl nitrate ampules
    stuffed down his shirt. Some red necks in a ute abuse him and force off
    the road. He falls over breaking all of the ampules, the vapours make
    his heartbeat race and he jumps on his bike, catches up to the rednecks
    and beats 'em all up. Ya really got to read the cartoon to appreciate it.

    For those too young to know who the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers are,
    well, that's probably a good thing.

    Marty

  17. BrettS

    BrettS Guest

    TimC wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 at 13:49 GMT, BrettS (aka Bruce)
    >
    >>You also have to weigh up the risk of bending your pump... I know the
    >>feeling when a cager invades your space - the heart rate jumps and you
    >>just want to chase them down and beat them over the head with a clue
    >>stick.

    > Hmmm. How's a vistalight for this purpose? I've been given the
    > go-ahead to put a bike light on mum's credit card for my upcoming
    > b'day :)

    I dunno, but my SigmaSport lights have a nice Pb-Acid bottle cage
    battery that would make a hellava dent...

    You can't beat having good lights for winter. Wish more guys on my ride
    tonight had lights, then I wouldn't have had to spend so much time at
    the front ;-)

    --
    BrettS

  18. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 at 14:23 GMT, Marty (aka Bruce)
    > Reminds me of Phineas from the Furry Freak brothers.
    > He's riding along on his bike with a heap of amyl nitrate ampules
    > stuffed down his shirt. Some red necks in a ute abuse him and force off
    > the road. He falls over breaking all of the ampules, the vapours make
    > his heartbeat race and he jumps on his bike, catches up to the rednecks
    > and beats 'em all up. Ya really got to read the cartoon to appreciate it.
    >
    > For those too young to know who the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers are,
    > well, that's probably a good thing.

    However, if you are too young, then you can go and google "Spike
    bike", and get your laughs thataway.

    Experiments must be reproducible; they should all fail in the same way.

  19. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:

    <snip>
    > Riding home tonight a saw a guy blabbing on mobby about to puul out of
    > sidestreet. I rode past him mimmicking him by holding up my hand with
    > thumb/little out, frowning at him as i blabbed on my 'phone'. He pulled
    > out behind me, blaired horn at me as he zoomed past.
    > twat, Im thinkun...
    > Next set of lights he's waiting at em. hmmm what to do?
    > Pull up next to him on driver's side and just stare at him, totally
    > expressionless.
    > He is lookin REAL nervous. I start mouthng at him as if Im speakin.
    > Of course he cant hear me (cos Im not actually making any noise).
    > so he winds window down carefully.
    > I keep mouthing at him silently. He's gettin real confused now and
    > blurts
    > "what are you talkin about?"
    > I smile and quickly tap him on the arm.
    > "You're it!" and i ride off. hahahahahahaha
    > I look back and he's smilin.
    > Put one down for the Dutch :D:D:D
    >
    > F"Tiggy-Bandit"Dutch
    >
    > --