4WDs and bikes in roundabouts

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by SteveA, Apr 11, 2005.

  1. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    While I was riding in this morning, I was rolling easily up to the
    lights, because I don't have new cleats yet... some loser in a black
    commodore sped past me, only to stop at the red. I pointed and laughed
    at the idiot driver as I rolled past in the edge lane to the front of
    the queue. A guy in a ute in the next lane gave two quick toots on the
    horn (fast enough to be clearly friendly), gave me a wave and a thumbs
    up. Bet he was a cyclist.

    Tam

    who didn't get nearly run off the road this morning *yay*

  2. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    "TimC" wrote
    > Eg, the time I was deliberately rammed from behind by 4 thugs in a
    > stolen vehicle.

    And you felt the need to attack _them _ with a pump?

    Theo

  3. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 at 04:49 GMT, Theo Bekkers (aka Bruce)

    > "TimC" wrote
    >> Eg, the time I was deliberately rammed from behind by 4 thugs in a
    >> stolen vehicle.

    > And you felt the need to attack _them _ with a pump?

    Nah, would have prefered something more painful and long term.
    Hopefully reduce their chances of procreating too.

    Ride by the freeway
    Bumper to bumper traffic
    A Schadenfreude -- riding Haiku by Duncan Farrow @ aus.bicycle

  4. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    "Carl Brewer" wrote

    > You know this stuff Theo, I remember you from aus.moto, you're
    > either trolling, or drunk :)

    Ahh? That Carl Brewer, yes, I remember you too.

    No, and no. Never felt the need to attack a car. Not even on the
    motorbike. I did threathen a bloke in a car once who wanted to ignore
    the smoke over the road, but I was in an 11 tonne fire-truck at the
    time. :)

    Theo

  5. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    yes.

    jump on a bike and ride around the city for a few years theo.

  6. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    "byron27" wrote
    > jump on a bike and ride around the city for a few years theo.

    12 years, 5 days a week, 25 km round trip to the Perth CBD. Then 5
    years to Inglewood, 15 km round trip. Then I moved and now live 50 kms
    from the office. Now ride the motorcycle or drive the ute three days a
    week, telecommute the other two.

    Theo

  7. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    not in and out of the city, actually in the city continuously.

    I have riden 9-10 hours a day in the city for 8 years, 5 days a week, over 90km's a day. In that time ive been hit by a 4wd running a red light, hit by numerous cars turning without indicating, punched in the head from a car by some yob for no reason, spat on, abused repeatedly and almost cleaned up god knows how many times by people doing crazy stuff in a mobile missile weighing over a tonne and travelling at 60+kph.
    Most drivers are great, i definitely believe that. The ones that are assholes will cop it. If you let someone tread all over you they will.

  8. Carl Brewer

    Carl Brewer Guest

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 13:09:53 +0800, "Theo Bekkers"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"byron27" wrote
    >> jump on a bike and ride around the city for a few years theo.

    >12 years, 5 days a week, 25 km round trip to the Perth CBD. Then 5
    >years to Inglewood, 15 km round trip. Then I moved and now live 50 kms
    >from the office. Now ride the motorcycle or drive the ute three days a
    >week, telecommute the other two.

    To be fair, I've clocked up 48,500km in the last 3 years riding
    around Melbourne and
    only been assaulted (egged, swerved at and random yelling
    of abuse at) maybe 10 times or so, and that's a lot of hours
    for not much real hassle, doesn't mean it doesn't happen
    at all though. I have been swerved at in such a way
    as to attempt to force me into a ditch out in Gembrook
    on a quiet country road by some turd in a holden ute
    which was probably the worst offender. This individual
    came roaring up behind me, locked his wheels and
    missed running me over from behind my no more than
    a meter, then swerved *very* close beside me and proceded to
    try and run me into the ditch.

    This was a deliberate, and
    unprovoked action. There was no other traffic around and I
    was on my own. The road was wet, but it wasn't
    raining at the time. Visability was clear. No fog. I wasn't
    wearing dark clothes, or riding in an illegal or dangerous
    way. Left hand wheel track of a country road.

    For anyone that might remember the
    day it was the 2003 Blackburn club champs RR out at
    Gembrook. Sunday morning, around 11am

    Aparently he did something similar to
    Kathy Watt who was 1km further up the road to
    me. I'd been dropped by my bunch, she was a mile off
    the front of the women's bunch.

    It happens, Theo, I assure you! Not very often, but it
    certainly happens. I'd think that under circumstances like
    that retaliation is highly justified, if not suicidal
    at the same time.

  9. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    "byron27" <[email protected]> wrote
    > Theonot in and out of the city, actually in the city continuously.

    Gee, I don't qualify then. Never got a job as a courier.

    Theo

  10. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    "Carl Brewer" wrote
    > if not suicidal at the same time.

    I think that was my point, :)

    Theo

  11. Carl Brewer

    Carl Brewer Guest

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 13:51:55 +0800, "Theo Bekkers"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Carl Brewer" wrote
    >> if not suicidal at the same time.

    >I think that was my point, :)

    Fully understood, but just because something isn't wise,
    doesn't mean it isn't justified.

  12. hemyd

    hemyd Guest

    "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Do some people really think resorting to, or advising, violence to
    > other road users is a viable solution? Do you think people in motor
    > vehicles deliberately try to injure you? And do you think retaliatory
    > road rage on your part is justified or advisable?
    >
    > One and a half tonne car versus 10kg bike? I don't like the odds.
    >
    > Theo

    Although I can understand why a cyclist, pedestrian or another driver would
    want to inflict injury onto a driver who has just tried to kill him through
    gross carelessness and aggression, I am always acutely aware that there is a
    99% chance that as a cyclist I will come off second best in any
    confrontation. that determines how I ride my bike.

    Henry.

  13. hemyd

    hemyd Guest

    "Carl Brewer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:27:49 +0800, "Theo Bekkers"

    > Some people do, all too often, alas. However, what's
    > happening here is just speen venting. Call it therapy if you
    > like.
    >
    > > Do you think people in motor
    > >vehicles deliberately try to injure you?

    > Sometimes, most definatly. I know first-hand of people
    > who have been assaulted physically whilst riding by
    > occupiers of cars. I've had heavy objects thrown at
    > me myself (and I *don't* bash cars with random objects, but do
    > occasionally gesticulate when cutoff). Last week riding
    > along St Kilda Rd at 11pm I was "egged" while riding
    > in the bike lane, doing nothing more wrong than wearing a
    > bright yellow jersey. That was definatly an attempt to
    > intimidate, if not injure.
    >
    > > And do you think retaliatory
    > >road rage on your part is justified or advisable?

    > Advisable, no, but justified, sometimes yes. If I could have
    > caught the turds that egged me, I've have felt quite justified
    > in force-feeding them the egg, and any remaining eggs they
    > may have been carrying.
    >
    > >One and a half tonne car versus 10kg bike? I don't like the odds.

    > That's why I ride away (same thing on the motorbike). Doesn't
    > mean that retaliation isn't justified sometimes, just that it's
    > not likely to be successful!
    >
    > You know this stuff Theo, I remember you from aus.moto, you're
    > either trolling, or drunk :)

    I've had a driver drag infront of me and scream abuse for being on a street;
    had a carload of thugs follow me through side streets yelling abuse, had an
    ir gun pellet hit me, numerous cars deliberately (with yobbos inside them
    yelling) veer next to me on bike tracks, truck driving real close to me on a
    widened road, with the yobbo passenger yelling at me to f'n get on the bike
    track on the footpath..... I could go on. That on top of the usual drivers
    squeezing past me at roundabouts, etc. etc.

    Henry.

  14. Theo Bekkers wrote:

    >>You need one of those Kryptonite Mini ULocks. They fit in to your
    >>back
    >>pocket for easy access and are useful for rearranging various parts
    >>of
    >>a car's bonnet, roof and side panels.

    > Do some people really think resorting to, or advising, violence to
    > other road users is a viable solution?

    Yes, because the pigs just think it is a big joke.

    The only time the porkers ever took one of my complaints seriously was
    after I wrote a letter of complaint to the commisisioner against there
    non-action (I was chased onto a farm and rammed from behind).

    The seargent who cam around to poo-poo me off was snagged by community
    connects to do something, but that wasn't enough until he found out the
    arsehole to whom the vehicle was registered had actually been sacked by
    an ex-copper from a bottle shop he owned.

    And what did they finally catch him on? lying to a police officer and
    driving whilst disqualified.

    So, at that stage, I had a wire basket on the front of my bicycle with a
    lump of heavy pipe in it Very effective, especially if you threw it at
    their rear window. It didn't break it, but it sure left a lot of marks
    on their nice paintwork and by the time they had worked out "WTF was
    that", I was at the piece of pipe again calmly picking up a piece of
    dangerous rubbish on the road {:)

    > Do you think people in motor vehicles deliberately try to injure you?
    > And do you think retaliatory
    > road rage on your part is justified or advisable?
    >
    > One and a half tonne car versus 10kg bike?

    Only a problem on fenced lonely country roads. It is really funny how
    well a bicle can side step parked cars, etc in urban areas.

  15. > >

    > > This was first time back on the bike after 2 weeks off due to illness.
    > > And I'm an old bugger so I need something anyway to get the system
    > > started first thing in the morning. Rode from Kensington south along
    > > the bike path beside the Kwinana Freeway. Sat on 30kph to 35kph for
    > > most of the ride.

    Kensington hey... I'm in Vic Park. Which roundabout was it? (so I can
    be on heightened 4WD alert!!) and more importantly where did you get a
    double espresso after heading south along the freeway?

  16. hippy

    hippy Guest

    Theo Bekkers wrote:
    > Do some people really think resorting to, or advising, violence to
    > other road users is a viable solution?

    Yes.

    > Do you think people in motor vehicles deliberately try to injure you?

    Yes.

    > And do you think retaliatory road rage on your part is justified or advisable?

    Yes.

    > One and a half tonne car versus 10kg bike? I don't like the odds.

    Meh. Let them step out of the vehicle.

    hippy

  17. hippy

    hippy Guest

    byron27 wrote:
    > Theo Bekkers Wrote:
    >>"byron27" wrote
    >>
    >>>jump on a bike and ride around the city for a few years theo.

    >>12 years, 5 days a week, 25 km round trip to the Perth CBD. Then 5
    >>years to Inglewood, 15 km round trip. Then I moved and now live 50 kms
    >>from the office. Now ride the motorcycle or drive the ute three days a
    >>week, telecommute the other two.
    >>
    >>Theonot in and out of the city, actually in the city continuously.

    > I have riden 9-10 hours a day in the city for 8 years, 5 days a week,
    > over 90km's a day. In that time ive been hit by a 4wd running a red
    > light, hit by numerous cars turning without indicating, punched in the
    > head from a car by some yob for no reason, spat on, abused repeatedly
    > and almost cleaned up god knows how many times by people doing crazy
    > stuff in a mobile missile weighing over a tonne and travelling at
    > 60+kph.
    > Most drivers are great, i definitely believe that. The ones that are
    > assholes will cop it. If you let someone tread all over you they will.

    I ride in and out of the city (not quite into the CBD) and I've had most
    of what byron27 mentions - no one has punched me and no one has spat on
    me - and if they were close enough to do either, they are lucky they
    thought twice about it. I've certainly had people get out of their cars
    and approach like they were going to try though.

    I usually avoid conflict (okay Carl, I 'used to' avoid conflict ;)) but
    when you think you are going to die you can do some strange things.

    hippy

  18. Plodder

    Plodder Guest

    "Carl Brewer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 13:51:55 +0800, "Theo Bekkers"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >"Carl Brewer" wrote
    > >> if not suicidal at the same time.

    > >I think that was my point, :)

    > Fully understood, but just because something isn't wise,
    > doesn't mean it isn't justified.

    I tend toward Theo's non-violent approach, but I must admit to losing my rag
    a time or two. A few days ago some twaddledick driving a shiny red 4WD tried
    to force me into the median strip when we were turnning right in a slip
    lane. Yells of "get off the road ya poofta!" (this from an 'off road'
    vehicle on the road!) coming from the car. I caught up at the lights and
    kicked his shiny red, lovingly polished left door. Yells of "Is that the
    best ya can do? Ha ha ha." etc. Shrug from me and ride off. He'll be less
    happy when he spots the bloody great big gouge through to the metal that a
    cleat can leave.
    Things to think about?
    (1) I caught up before I had time to cool off so I struck out in fury. A bit
    later I would have calmed down and ignored the gobshite. Maybe I should stop
    and cool off in future.
    (2) I let some lowlife with the minimum number of synapses goad me. That
    doesn't feel good.
    (3) A big part of me feels immense satisfaction with the gouge and the
    effect on said gobshite when he sees it (assuming it's his car!).
    (4) I feel better for having stood up for myself than tucking my tail in and
    feeling like a victim.
    (5) It was local, so I hope he doesn't recognise me next time he and I are
    on the same road.
    (6) It's hard (if not impossible!) for me to be firmly in one camp - ALWAYS
    non-violent or ALWAYS aggressive. It's not binary. It's one of those
    continuum things; I'll always be somewhere between the end points.
    (7) Mixed feelings. Would I do it again? Dunno. It's hard to rationalise
    when caught in an adrenaline fright. Spur of the moment is harder to control
    than when there's time to deliberate.

    My 2.5 cent's worth

    Frank

  19. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    When I talked about doing the frame-pump parradiddle (drummers know what this is) on a car, it was, for me , on the day, hypothetical. The bike I was on has the mini-est of mini pumps on it - its only 7 inches long and only weighs about 3 ounces (bling bling - made of carbon fibre). Not much use for hitting anything really. Perhaps only useful in the circumstances to wave around while making gestures comparing the small size of the pump to the small size of the genitals of the driver. And that would not have worked on Saturday as the driver was female. :eek:

    SteveA

  20. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    hippy wrote:

    > Theo Bekkers wrote:
    > > Do some people really think resorting to, or advising, violence to
    > > other road users is a viable solution?

    > Yes.
    >
    > > Do you think people in motor vehicles deliberately try to injure you?

    > Yes.
    >
    > > And do you think retaliatory road rage on your part is justified or advisable?

    > Yes.
    >
    > > One and a half tonne car versus 10kg bike? I don't like the odds.

    > Meh. Let them step out of the vehicle.
    >
    > hippy

    I've told guys "yeah? why don't you get out of your cage and say that?!"
    but they never take me seriously...

    Tam