4WDs and bikes in roundabouts

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by SteveA, Apr 11, 2005.

  1. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote:
    <snip>
    > I've told guys "yeah? why don't you get out of your cage and say that?!"
    > but they never take me seriously...
    >
    > Tam

    Oh, and just to prove I can back it up:

    http://www.uqboxing.org/history2.html

    (yeah my name is spelt incorrectly...)

  2. LotteBum

    LotteBum New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2004
    Messages:
    1,138
    Can you fight pretty well Tamyka??!?!?

    I'd love to be able to put up a good fight. The amount of times I've been abused by men who assume that because I am female 1. can't fight and 2. wouldn't even if I could.

    I love it when you say something to someone like "You've a face like a smashed crab - that'd be the reason you don't have a girlfriend, right?" or "What's the matter poopski, your wife leave you for another woman?" and they say "What did you say!?!?!", assuming you won't repeat it. I always repeat it really clearly and slowly for them.

    My boyfriend tells me off for being confrontational on the rare occasion that I am, but as far as I'm concerned, if someone really wants to get out of their car and hit me then they may be my guest: if they as much as touch me, I'll have them up for assault. If they kill me.... then there's a fair chance they'll end up in jail and come out with an sphincter like a concrete mixer after a few years.

  3. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    LotteBum wrote:

    > Can you fight pretty well Tamyka??!?!?

    Ha ha, in my glory days, yes. Now... well I can still pull off a quick
    combo but I run faster than I used to...

    > I'd love to be able to put up a good fight. The amount of times I've
    > been abused by men who assume that because I am female 1. can't fight
    > and 2. wouldn't even if I could.

    It's funny in social situations that turn nasty. Some guy kept "bumping
    into" my ex-housemate/training partner at a club. She gently elbowed him
    in the ribs. He did it a few more times so she elbowed him really hard.
    He turned around and went to throw a hook, but she just ducked and
    ripped into his guts, then bolted. Holy crap it was funny. Scary to
    think that there are guys out there that are such losers though. At
    least they don't hang out on a.b.

    > I love it when you say something to someone like "You've a face like a
    > smashed crab - that'd be the reason you don't have a girlfriend,
    > right?" or "What's the matter poopski, your wife leave you for another
    > woman?" and they say "What did you say!?!?!", assuming you won't repeat
    > it. I always repeat it really clearly and slowly for them.

    *ROFLMAO* I gotta hang out with you some more. It could be very, very
    fun. Or funny, or both. Yep, I always repeat it. Usually add a comment
    about how slow/deaf they must've been to miss it in the first place.

    > My boyfriend tells me off for being confrontational on the rare
    > occasion that I am, but as far as I'm concerned, if someone really
    > wants to get out of their car and hit me then they may be my guest: if
    > they as much as touch me, I'll have them up for assault. If they kill
    > me.... then there's a fair chance they'll end up in jail and come out
    > with an sphincter like a concrete mixer after a few years.
    >
    > --
    > LotteBum

    *breathes the fresh air*

    Tell us more, LotteBum!

    Tam

  4. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > LotteBum wrote:
    >
    >>Can you fight pretty well Tamyka??!?!?

    > Ha ha, in my glory days, yes. Now... well I can still pull off a quick
    > combo but I run faster than I used to...

    Tam it probably doesn't apply so much to Qld weather, but in Melb's
    winter I usually try and get in a couple of sessions a week on the speed
    ball and floor to ceiling bag as a substitute for swimming. As long as I
    keep the cardio work up on the bike and running, I can drop to one swim
    session a week and maintain some level of swim fitness just by giving
    the shoulders and triceps a decent workout. Plus I can do it during my
    lunch break when working from home. I love winter swimming in the local
    outdoor pool (I get the whole pool to myself at night) but bloody hell
    it's hard to get motivated to get out there.

    DaveB

  5. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    DaveB wrote:

    > Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > > LotteBum wrote:
    > >
    > >>Can you fight pretty well Tamyka??!?!?

    > > Ha ha, in my glory days, yes. Now... well I can still pull off a quick
    > > combo but I run faster than I used to...
    > >

    > Tam it probably doesn't apply so much to Qld weather, but in Melb's
    > winter I usually try and get in a couple of sessions a week on the speed
    > ball and floor to ceiling bag as a substitute for swimming. As long as I
    > keep the cardio work up on the bike and running, I can drop to one swim
    > session a week and maintain some level of swim fitness just by giving
    > the shoulders and triceps a decent workout. Plus I can do it during my
    > lunch break when working from home. I love winter swimming in the local
    > outdoor pool (I get the whole pool to myself at night) but bloody hell
    > it's hard to get motivated to get out there.
    >
    > DaveB

    Well it does apply in Qld... unless you're a Victorian living in Qld. I
    feel the cold really badly. For example in my office today I'm wearing a
    jumper and (very funky) trackies.

    It's interesting that works for you, because I find that swim is so
    closely linked to feel for the water that if I'm out of the pool, I lose
    swim fitness. Moreso than I lose cycle/run fitness if I can't do one of
    those.

    Tam

  6. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > DaveB wrote:
    >
    >>Tamyka Bell wrote:

    >>>Ha ha, in my glory days, yes. Now... well I can still pull off a quick
    >>>combo but I run faster than I used to...
    >>>

    >>Tam it probably doesn't apply so much to Qld weather, but in Melb's
    >>winter I usually try and get in a couple of sessions a week on the speed
    >>ball and floor to ceiling bag as a substitute for swimming. As long as I
    >>keep the cardio work up on the bike and running, I can drop to one swim
    >>session a week and maintain some level of swim fitness just by giving
    >>the shoulders and triceps a decent workout. Plus I can do it during my
    >>lunch break when working from home. I love winter swimming in the local
    >>outdoor pool (I get the whole pool to myself at night) but bloody hell
    >>it's hard to get motivated to get out there.
    >>
    >>DaveB

    > Well it does apply in Qld... unless you're a Victorian living in Qld. I
    > feel the cold really badly. For example in my office today I'm wearing a
    > jumper and (very funky) trackies.

    Hah, me too. Would go and warm up with a session on the bags but about
    to go dancing with my wife which is an even better way to warm up,
    although harder on the knees than cycling.

    > It's interesting that works for you, because I find that swim is so
    > closely linked to feel for the water that if I'm out of the pool, I lose
    > swim fitness. Moreso than I lose cycle/run fitness if I can't do one of
    > those.
    >
    > Tam

    Agree with the feel for the water so I make sure I still get one session
    a week (with a squad so it's a pretty hard session), but find that that
    (plus the boxing) keeps me with a sufficient base till spring. One year
    I made the mistake of thinking I could substitute the gym for the pool.
    Did lots of high rep tricep and lat work. That spring I got into the
    pool and almost had to learn to swim again, the muscles just would not
    work the right way.

    DaveB

  7. Marty

    Marty Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > hippy wrote:
    >
    >>Theo Bekkers wrote:
    >>
    >>>Do some people really think resorting to, or advising, violence to
    >>>other road users is a viable solution?

    >>Yes.
    >>

    >>>Do you think people in motor vehicles deliberately try to injure you?

    >>Yes.
    >>

    >>>And do you think retaliatory road rage on your part is justified or advisable?

    >>Yes.
    >>

    >>>One and a half tonne car versus 10kg bike? I don't like the odds.

    >>Meh. Let them step out of the vehicle.
    >>
    >>hippy

    > I've told guys "yeah? why don't you get out of your cage and say that?!"
    > but they never take me seriously...
    >
    > Tam

    Hey I get that too.
    Don't you hate it when people laugh in your face?

    Marty

  8. alex

    alex Guest

    Hey Theo,

    I don't remember you using a bicycle :)

    Or are you referring to NCR days?

    catchyaz :)

  9. alex

    alex Guest

    Hey Theo,

    I don't remember you using a bicycle while I was working for Jamie.

    The Moto doesn't count :)

    alex

  10. hemyd

    hemyd Guest

    "Plodder" <CORNED [email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Carl Brewer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 13:51:55 +0800, "Theo Bekkers"
    > > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > > >"Carl Brewer" wrote
    > > >
    > > >I think that was my point, :)

    > > Fully understood, but just because something isn't wise,
    > > doesn't mean it isn't justified.

    > I tend toward Theo's non-violent approach, but I must admit to losing my

    rag
    > a time or two. A few days ago some twaddledick driving a shiny red 4WD

    tried
    > to force me into the median strip when we were turnning right in a slip
    > lane. Yells of "get off the road ya poofta!" (this from an 'off road'
    > vehicle on the road!) coming from the car. I caught up at the lights and
    > kicked his shiny red, lovingly polished left door. Yells of "Is that the
    > best ya can do? Ha ha ha." etc. Shrug from me and ride off. He'll be less
    > happy when he spots the bloody great big gouge through to the metal that a
    > cleat can leave.
    > Things to think about?
    > (1) I caught up before I had time to cool off so I struck out in fury. A

    bit
    > later I would have calmed down and ignored the gobshite. Maybe I should

    stop
    > and cool off in future.
    > (2) I let some lowlife with the minimum number of synapses goad me. That
    > doesn't feel good.
    > (3) A big part of me feels immense satisfaction with the gouge and the
    > effect on said gobshite when he sees it (assuming it's his car!).
    > (4) I feel better for having stood up for myself than tucking my tail in

    and
    > feeling like a victim.
    > (5) It was local, so I hope he doesn't recognise me next time he and I are
    > on the same road.
    > (6) It's hard (if not impossible!) for me to be firmly in one camp -

    ALWAYS
    > non-violent or ALWAYS aggressive. It's not binary. It's one of those
    > continuum things; I'll always be somewhere between the end points.
    > (7) Mixed feelings. Would I do it again? Dunno. It's hard to rationalise
    > when caught in an adrenaline fright. Spur of the moment is harder to

    control
    > than when there's time to deliberate.
    >
    > My 2.5 cent's worth
    >
    > Frank

    My 5c worth is that first of all, inflicting damage to the car you could be
    made to pay for it. Worse, though - if the bugger decided to kill you, his
    smart arse lawyer would convince the judge that you kicking his vehicle made
    it justifiable homicide....

    Henry.

  11. dave

    dave Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > Theo Bekkers wrote:
    >
    >> Do some people really think resorting to, or advising, violence to
    >> other road users is a viable solution?

    > Yes.
    >
    >> Do you think people in motor vehicles deliberately try to injure you?

    > Yes.
    >
    >> And do you think retaliatory road rage on your part is justified or
    >> advisable?

    > Yes.
    >
    >> One and a half tonne car versus 10kg bike? I don't like the odds.

    > Meh. Let them step out of the vehicle.
    >
    > hippy

    Where suddenly they are no (or only a little) bigger than you; far less
    fit and far far less courageous . (This last in idirect proportion to
    vehicle size..eg the bigger the 4WD the more gutless the driver)

    Dave

  12. hemyd wrote:

    > My 5c worth is that first of all, inflicting damage to the car you could be
    > made to pay for it. Worse, though - if the bugger decided to kill you, his
    > smart arse lawyer would convince the judge that you kicking his vehicle made
    > it justifiable homicide....

    Do you have a legal cite for this or is this just another load of crap
    about the claimed godship of car drivers.

  13. hemyd wrote:

    > My 5c worth is that first of all, inflicting damage to the car you could be
    > made to pay for it. Worse, though - if the bugger decided to kill you, his
    > smart arse lawyer would convince the judge that you kicking his vehicle made
    > it justifiable homicide....

    Do you have a legal cite for this or is this just another load of crap
    about the claimed godship of car drivers.

  14. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    you don't pay attention do you?

  15. hemyd

    hemyd Guest

    "Terry Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > hemyd wrote:
    >
    > > My 5c worth is that first of all, inflicting damage to the car you could

    be
    > > made to pay for it. Worse, though - if the bugger decided to kill you,

    his
    > > smart arse lawyer would convince the judge that you kicking his vehicle

    made
    > > it justifiable homicide....

    > Do you have a legal cite for this or is this just another load of crap
    > about the claimed godship of car drivers.

    You may be a lawyer, in which case you definitely will have more legal
    information at your disposal that I do. Perhaps you could explain the
    circumstances under which a driver can run down and kill a cyclist, not stop
    afterwards, and be acquitted. If you are merely a driver (as I am), maybe
    you can explain some of the quaint behavioural traits that drivers exhibit
    every day as I commute to work on my bicycle.

    Henry.

  16. hemyd

    hemyd Guest

    "hemyd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Terry Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > hemyd wrote:
    > >
    > > > My 5c worth is that first of all, inflicting damage to the car you

    could
    > be
    > > > made to pay for it. Worse, though - if the bugger decided to kill you,

    > his
    > > > smart arse lawyer would convince the judge that you kicking his

    vehicle
    > made
    > > > it justifiable homicide....

    > > Do you have a legal cite for this or is this just another load of crap
    > > about the claimed godship of car drivers.

    > You may be a lawyer, in which case you definitely will have more legal
    > information at your disposal that I do. Perhaps you could explain the
    > circumstances under which a driver can run down and kill a cyclist, not

    stop
    > afterwards, and be acquitted. If you are merely a driver (as I am), maybe
    > you can explain some of the quaint behavioural traits that drivers exhibit
    > every day as I commute to work on my bicycle.
    >
    > Henry.

    Almost every day as we watch the news on telly and read the paper, we find
    out about some gross injustice that has been done, wehther it's here in
    Australia or overseas, something we are powerless to prevent or do anything
    about. One solution is to speak out about it, hoping against all odds that
    one little voice may achieve something eventually. Alternatively, to
    preserve our sanity, we could simply stop reading the paper and watch the
    news (which I have done on and off). Unfortunately as I ride my bicycle I
    come across driver aggression and homicidal behaviour almost daily, and that
    is hard to ignore, although I try. I'll stop bitching now.

  17. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    "alex" <[email protected]> wrote
    > Hey Theo,
    >
    > I don't remember you using a bicycle while I was working for Jamie.
    >
    > The Moto doesn't count :)

    G'day Alex, how's ya doing?
    For the first two or three years I worked at Bekkers, which I think
    was before your time there, I rode my pushie to work. Unfortunately I
    needed to go to the bank in Morley more frequently and also needed to
    pick stuff up from NJS, J Mills etc so the bicycle became impossible.
    At NCR I rode everyday for ten years.

    Cheers

    Theo

  18. alex