4WDs - High and Mighty

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Keith, Jun 17, 2003.

  1. Keith

    Keith Guest

    From 'Background Briefing' on ABC Radio National last Sunday morning:

    Keith Bradsher is a former Detroit bureau chief for The New York Times. He's written a book on sport
    utility vehicles called ‘High and Mighty', which has caused quite a stir in the US. Here's an
    extract from the book:

    Who's been buying SUVs since auto makers turned them into family vehicles? They tend to be people
    who are insecure and vain, they're frequently nervous about their marriages, and uncomfortable about
    parenthood. They often lack confidence in their driving skills. Above all, they're apt to be
    self-centred and self-absorbed, with little interest in their neighbours or communities. No, that's
    not a cynic talking, that's the auto industry's own market researchers and executives.

    Sounds like something to print off and slip under the windscreen wipers of the Landcruisers in the
    carpark :)

    The full text is at:

    http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/bbing/stories/s881845.htm

    > Sounds like something to print off and slip under the windscreen wipers of the Landcruisers in the
    > carpark :)

    Yawn...

    Another them-and-us post.

  3. K.A. Moylan

    K.A. Moylan Guest

    In article <>, [email protected] (Keith) wrote:

    > From 'Background Briefing' on ABC Radio National last Sunday morning: ... (The Cars that ate
    > Cities) ... The full text is at: http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/bbing/stories/s881845.htm

    One of the observations I made was the fear & discomfort felt by car drivers towards big 4WDs has
    the same causes of the fear & discomfort felt by cyclists towards motorists:
    * they are bigger;
    * they cause disproportionately more damage to the smaller one;
    * they dominate the roads;
    * the operators (unconciously) become more aggressive or assertive;
    * the operators feel safer.

    My greatest hope is that car drivers get a road law that says something like 'the bigger party is
    presumed negligent in a crash' (& everything that leads to).

    Cheerio,

    --
    K.A. Moylan Canberra, Australia Ski Club: http://www.cccsc.asn.au kamoylan at ozemail dot com dot au

  4. Steve Reynolds wrote:

    >>Sounds like something to print off and slip under the windscreen wipers of the Landcruisers in the
    >>carpark :)
    >

    > Yawn...
    >
    > Another them-and-us post.
    Ah Steve, I suspect you are one of them .. or just fit the profile?

  5. In article <[email protected]>, lutherblissett20 @buggeroffspammers.mailhot.com says...
    > Ah Steve, I suspect you are one of them .. or just fit the profile?

    Nothing like a good label, jew, nigger, willy waver, women driver, skip, etc, etc... :)

  6. Rman

    Rman Guest

    "Keith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > From 'Background Briefing' on ABC Radio National last Sunday morning:

    [snip]

    > Who's been buying SUVs since auto makers turned them into family vehicles? They tend to be people
    > who are insecure and vain, they're frequently nervous about their marriages, and uncomfortable
    > about parenthood. They often lack confidence in their driving skills. Above all, they're apt to be
    > self-centred and self-absorbed, with little interest in their neighbours or communities. No,
    > that's not a cynic talking, that's the auto industry's own market researchers and executives.

    I got it to go off road, but, y'know never quite made it, kids and work stuff, now we use it if for
    the family car..........

  7. Malvern_star

    Malvern_star New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2002
    Toyota rules

    Lancruiser and Hilux:cool:

    Seriously as a cyclist , I don't have a problem with 4 wheel drives.

    I've had run ins with the standard sedans , not looking or failing to give way.

    As a four wheel driver! I have a problem with Mitsubishis;) and other vehicles without low range.

    :D

  8. Rs

    Rs Guest

    They have something like that in the Netherlands - if car stikes bike it's always the fault of the
    car. Even if the bike went through a red light and hit the side of the car.

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 01:35:13 +1000, "K.A. Moylan" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <>, [email protected] (Keith) wrote:
    >
    >> From 'Background Briefing' on ABC Radio National last Sunday morning: ... (The Cars that ate
    >> Cities) ... The full text is at: http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/bbing/stories/s881845.htm
    >
    >One of the observations I made was the fear & discomfort felt by car drivers towards big 4WDs has
    >the same causes of the fear & discomfort felt by cyclists towards motorists:
    >* they are bigger;
    >* they cause disproportionately more damage to the smaller one;
    >* they dominate the roads;
    >* the operators (unconciously) become more aggressive or assertive;
    >* the operators feel safer.
    >
    >My greatest hope is that car drivers get a road law that says something like 'the bigger party is
    >presumed negligent in a crash' (& everything that leads to).
    >
    >Cheerio,
    >
    >--
    >K.A. Moylan Canberra, Australia Ski Club: http://www.cccsc.asn.au kamoylan at ozemail dot com
    > dot au

  9. G

    G Guest

    Steve Reynolds <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, lutherblissett20 @buggeroffspammers.mailhot.com says...
    > > Ah Steve, I suspect you are one of them .. or just fit the profile?
    >
    > Nothing like a good label, jew, nigger, willy waver, women driver, skip, etc, etc... :)

    wowser

  10. givathafat

    givathafat New Member

    Joined:
    May 9, 2003
    As a 4wder, cyclist and professional driver, I don't have a problem with the type of vehicle it is just how it's driven.

    A person with no respect for those around them is just as dangerous in corolla or a kenworth or even a push bike.

    I will happly for go my 4wd as soon as they ban all others bigger than it. As that's not going to happen then it's time for all of us to get over it. Calling me names and questioning my choice of vehicle won't help anything.

    Although knowing what it does cost to run my 4wd compared to a small car I can't think why anyone would want to just run around in one.

    I use my 4wd for what it was intended, it goes off road offten!

    Dave C

  11. Pc

    Pc Guest

    On 21 Jun 2003 14:00:00 +0950, givathafat <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I use my 4wd for what it was intended, it goes off road offten!

    Since when were today's 4WD product lines designed for going off road? They're unsafe on any road
    surface and unsuited to any purpose other than looking mean in urban traffic, which is exactly what
    their designers and marketers intended..

    PC

  12. [email protected] (PC) wrote:

    >They're unsafe on any road surface and unsuited to any purpose other than looking mean in urban
    >traffic, which is exactly what their

    Look mean? I reckon they look like garden sheds on wheels.

  13. Paul Jones

    Paul Jones Guest

    The problem most have with 4wds is when people buy them as some sort of urban fashion statement and
    never use them off road.

    Congrats for buying a vehicle for your needs

    Paul

    givathafat wrote:

    > As a 4wder, cyclist and professional driver, I don't have a problem with the type of vehicle it is
    > just how it's driven.
    >
    > A person with no respect for those around them is just as dangerous in corolla or a kenworth or
    > even a push bike.
    >
    > I will happly for go my 4wd as soon as they ban all others bigger than
    > it. As that's not going to happen then it's time for all of us to get over it. Calling me names
    > and questioning my choice of vehicle won't help anything.
    >
    > Although knowing what it does cost to run my 4wd compared to a small car I can't think why anyone
    > would want to just run around in one.
    >
    > I use my 4wd for what it was intended, it goes off road offten!
    >
    > Dave C

  14. G

    G Guest

    Actually, people buy them for their wives because they are perceived as safer, to take the kids to
    school with etc. The concept of going to lengths to make sure the "other" person dies rather than
    yourself is what irks me. But is does backfire at times with 4wd ease at flipping over.

    Paul Jones <"katpaul"@dodo.com.au(nospam)> wrote:

    > The problem most have with 4wds is when people buy them as some sort of urban fashion statement
    > and never use them off road.
    >
    > Congrats for buying a vehicle for your needs

  15. Malvern_star

    Malvern_star New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2002
    +1

    It costs less in fuel etc to run my hilux 4wd than it does to run a 95 model falcon , the fuel consumption argument is a real storm in a tea cup.
    I use my 4wd for everything , it's a work ute , offroader/weekender , general shopping trolley/ transport , I can't afford to register two cars.
    They give money to people to buy back guns , if they don't like people with offroad vehicles and want to ban them (including bullbars)...hey...they can buy them back , and all the wowsers , killjoys and safety nazis can pay a 'buyback levy'. I'm sure they'll be happy, as they tear down a 60km/hr street doing 80 or 90 in their little doom buggies , not indicating , not looking or concentrating , giving bike riders hell ; knowing that there are no nasty landcruisers lurking:D
    When they've got all the Jetskis out of waterways , 4wds off roads , horses out of national parks ....next will be the.... bicycles ...
    I 've never considered killing anyone whilst driving , however when I'm riding I consider it all the time, and they drive....

    Sedans
    Hatchbacks
    2wd utes
    and buses

    They're usually middle aged men and women , who should know better , unfortunately they vote and they probably want to vote me off the road . They don't like 4wds and they don't like bike riders.

    cheers:)

  16. Cody

    Cody Guest

    "G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1fwyxzo.7am42y17ny8cgN%[email protected]...
    > Actually, people buy them for their wives because they are perceived as safer, to take the kids to
    > school with etc. The concept of going to lengths to make sure the "other" person dies rather than
    > yourself is what irks me. But is does backfire at times with 4wd ease at flipping over.

    That certainly seems to be the case, the only accident I have seen involving a 4wd was in a 50km
    street and the 4wd ended up upside down with a rear wheel and axle ripped off whereas the sedan that
    it hit had a crushed front end but was less damaged than the large 4wd.

    The rear wheel was ripped off by hitting the kerb durring one of the 4wds summersalts. The only
    injuries were to the occupants of the 4wd who were cut and bruised by the flying contents of
    their vehicle.

  17. Warwick

    Warwick Guest

    I am not anti 4WD, but I find some of the logic amusing - eg. Great visibility (yes, but at the
    expense of other people's visibility) Safer (sometimes yes, but at the expense of other people's
    safety). Just a very selfish mindset I think.

    The final irony I love is that people buy 4WDs to keep the kids safe. Then as soon as they turn 17,
    Dad buys them an old shitbox with no safety features. This is the time they are most likely to be
    involved in an accident!!

    "G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1fwyxzo.7am42y17ny8cgN%[email protected]...
    > Actually, people buy them for their wives because they are perceived as safer, to take the kids to
    > school with etc. The concept of going to lengths to make sure the "other" person dies rather than
    > yourself is what irks me. But is does backfire at times with 4wd ease at flipping over.
    >
    > Paul Jones <"katpaul"@dodo.com.au(nospam)> wrote:
    >
    > > The problem most have with 4wds is when people buy them as some sort of urban fashion statement
    > > and never use them off road.
    > >
    > > Congrats for buying a vehicle for your needs

  18. Scotty

    Scotty Guest

    funny...I use mine for towing my boat and for off-road use (most decent 4WDS have higher towing
    capacities than your bog standard sedans...also allowing to launch off the beach etc)

    and yes I ride my bike whenever I can including to work and as someone else said earlier its not the
    vehicle thats the problem...its the person behind the wheel....and a lot of people shouldn't be
    behind a wheel on a public road. Just my observations..

    "G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1fwyxzo.7am42y17ny8cgN%[email protected]...
    > Actually, people buy them for their wives because they are perceived as safer, to take the kids to
    > school with etc. The concept of going to lengths to make sure the "other" person dies rather than
    > yourself is what irks me. But is does backfire at times with 4wd ease at flipping over.
    >
    > Paul Jones <"katpaul"@dodo.com.au(nospam)> wrote:
    >
    > > The problem most have with 4wds is when people buy them as some sort of urban fashion statement
    > > and never use them off road.
    > >
    > > Congrats for buying a vehicle for your needs

  19. Jeremy Lunn

    Jeremy Lunn Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Scotty wrote:
    > funny...I use mine for towing my boat and for off-road use (most decent 4WDS have higher towing
    > capacities than your bog standard sedans...also allowing to launch off the beach etc)

    Reminds me of a friend of mine who let a 4WD that was covered in mud into the lane we were in
    (driving) and then said that if they hadn't of been any evidence that they were using the thing for
    what it's meant for then he wouldn't have let them in!

    --
    Jeremy Lunn Melbourne, Australia Homepage: http://www.austux.net/ http://www.jabber.org.au/ - the
    next generation of Instant Messaging.

  20. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    "Scotty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    : said earlier its not the vehicle thats the problem...its the person behind the wheel....and a lot
    : of people shouldn't be behind a wheel on a public road. Just my observations..
    :

    Like...

    "It's not guns that kill people. People kill people" (not sure on the credit for that)

    I just say its a lot harder to kill people with a rotting banana and an anchovie.

    If I was to be hit by a car (again) then I would prefer to be hit by an excel that crumples up like
    a coke can with the chance of rolling up onto the bonnet than a 4wd with a bull bar at head height
    with a large chance of going underneath.

    Pete