4x4 Ban?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Toby Barrett, May 27, 2003.

  1. Toby Barrett

    Toby Barrett Guest

    Tags:

  2. Simon Galgut

    Simon Galgut Guest

    "Toby Barrett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I wonder if our friends in uk.tosspot will be getting worked up over this:
    >
    > http://politics.guardian.co.uk/green/story/0,9061,964205,00.html

    At least one only has to be wary of 4x4's in that neck of the woods when out walking or cycling, as
    these are the only vehicles that cause cyclists a problem. Thankfully there is no chance of the
    Lib-Dems getting into power any time soon, so they can spout as much lunatic drivel as they feel fit
    without worrying too much about the consequences.

    Simon Land Rover Defender 110 Airborne Zeppelin Cannondale Jekyll etc etc

  3. Frank°

    Frank° Guest

    "Toby Barrett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I wonder if our friends in uk.tosspot will be getting worked up over this:
    >
    > http://politics.guardian.co.uk/green/story/0,9061,964205,00.html
    >
    > Difficult to see how a ban could be made to work, however.

    Yep he's just looking for votes. I express my disapproval by never showing any courtesy (when
    driving) to 4x4's, e.g. never let them out of a junction etc, and also by pointing out that
    people only drive them because they were bullied at school, probably not true but it does seem to
    annoy them ;o)

  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Frank°" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Toby Barrett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I wonder if our friends in uk.tosspot will be getting worked up over
    this:

    > > http://politics.guardian.co.uk/green/story/0,9061,964205,00.html
    > >
    > > Difficult to see how a ban could be made to work, however.
    > >

    > Yep he's just looking for votes. I express my disapproval by never showing any courtesy (when
    > driving) to 4x4's, e.g. never let them out of a
    junction
    > etc, and also by pointing out that people only drive them because they
    were
    > bullied at school, probably not true but it does seem to annoy them ;o)

    I'm sure that's most effective and leaves them totally gutted, Frank. In fact I'm sure they must
    rush home, sell the 4x4s and purchase....I dunno, what would you prefer they drive, Frank ? ;o)

  5. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    Simon Galgut wrote:

    > Simon Land Rover Defender 110 Airborne Zeppelin Cannondale Jekyll etc etc

    Sounds like a load of dodgy products from the back of razzle.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

  6. Frank°

    Frank° Guest

    "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > Yep he's just looking for votes. I express my disapproval by never
    showing
    > > any courtesy (when driving) to 4x4's, e.g. never let them out of a
    > junction
    > > etc, and also by pointing out that people only drive them because they
    > were
    > > bullied at school, probably not true but it does seem to annoy them ;o)
    > >

    > I'm sure that's most effective and leaves them totally gutted, Frank. In fact I'm sure they must
    > rush home, sell the 4x4s and purchase....I dunno, what would you prefer they drive, Frank ? ;o)

    Well if people are willing to waste tens of thousands of pounds on the imagined empowerment promised
    by advertisers its fair to assume they may be put off just as easily.

    Perhaps you could explain why someone pays so much money to buy a totally inappropriate vehicle
    for town driving, why they above other car drivers seem to be selfishly will to endanger other
    road users.

    Personally I'd prefer they just tattooed twat across their foreheads and walked instead. ;o)

  7. Tezza

    Tezza New Member

    Joined:
    May 26, 2003

  8. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > I'm sure that's most effective and leaves them totally gutted, Frank. In fact I'm sure they must
    > rush home, sell the 4x4s and purchase....I dunno, what would you prefer they drive, Frank ? ;o)

    A Heinkel 3 wheeler.

    --
    Dave...

  9. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Frank° <[email protected]> typed:

    > Personally I'd prefer they just tattooed twat across their foreheads and walked instead. ;o)

    Thanks, I'll bear that in mind next time I'm walking past a tattoo parlour.

    Tony

    http://www.raven-family.com

  10. John Murf

    John Murf Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Dave Kahn wrote:
    > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >> I'm sure that's most effective and leaves them totally gutted, Frank. In fact I'm sure they must
    >> rush home, sell the 4x4s and purchase....I dunno, what would you prefer they drive, Frank ? ;o)
    >
    > A Heinkel 3 wheeler.

    Look more like Fokkers to me...... Sorry, I get my coat.

    --
    John Murf

  11. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Frank°" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > Yep he's just looking for votes. I express my disapproval by never
    > showing
    > > > any courtesy (when driving) to 4x4's, e.g. never let them out of a
    > > junction
    > > > etc, and also by pointing out that people only drive them because they
    > > were
    > > > bullied at school, probably not true but it does seem to annoy them
    ;o)

    > > I'm sure that's most effective and leaves them totally gutted, Frank. In fact I'm sure they must
    > > rush home, sell the 4x4s and purchase....I
    dunno,
    > > what would you prefer they drive, Frank ? ;o)
    > >

    > Well if people are willing to waste tens of thousands of pounds on the imagined empowerment
    > promised by advertisers its fair to assume they may
    be
    > put off just as easily.
    >
    > Perhaps you could explain why someone pays so much money to buy a totally inappropriate vehicle
    > for town driving, why they above other car drivers seem to be selfishly will to endanger other
    > road users.
    >
    > Personally I'd prefer they just tattooed twat across their foreheads and walked instead. ;o)

    I think you'll find that's a certain sort of person Frank, rather than the sort of person that
    drives a certain kind of motor, Frank. It is a certain sort of person who has no regard for other
    road users, Frank, like failing to show the courtesy of occassionally letting other road users take
    presedence <s?> when they don't necessarily have ROW, Frank, f'rinstance. I think you'll find that
    there are lots of inappropriate tens of thousands of pounds worth of cars out there, not just 4x4's
    and as for inappropriate vehicles, I seriously would not want a bog standard car 'round these 'ere
    parts, Frank. The lack of investment in road surfaces for the last 30 years has led to very uneven
    surfaces indeed. As a cyclist it p*sses me off somewhat. As a car owner, even more so...possibly,
    Frank Cheers, Dave.

    ps, not quite sure what this means :- ''seem to be selfishly will to endanger other road
    users.''....?

  12. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "John Murf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Look more like Fokkers to me...... Sorry, I get my coat.

    No -- the Fokkers are the ones with bull bars.

    I'll get my coat.

  13. [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:
    > A Heinkel 3 wheeler.

    One of my colleagues drives a Messerschmidt KR200 (but only on the days when he thinks the weather
    isn't up to his ten to fifteen mile cycle commute). If they were still to be had at a reasonable
    price, I think I might be tempted.

  14. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Wed, 28 May 2003 12:51:33 +0100, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"John Murf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> Look more like Fokkers to me...... Sorry, I get my coat.
    >
    >No -- the Fokkers are the ones with bull bars.

    On the subject of 4x4s and bulls, I was talking to a farmer a couple of weekends ago when I was
    staying in wildest Gloucestershire. He seemed to be quite happy with his Land Rover for "proper
    off-road driving" and his Subaru 4x4 (and no, it wasn't an Impreza) for "normal roads" and for
    "driving through my muddy yard".

    Sensible chaps, farmers.

    James

  15. Frank°

    Frank° Guest

    > I think you'll find that's a certain sort of person Frank, rather than the sort of person that
    > drives a certain kind of motor, Frank. It is a certain sort of person who has no regard for other
    > road users, Frank, like failing to show the courtesy of occassionally letting other road users
    > take presedence <s?> when they don't necessarily have ROW, Frank, f'rinstance.

    What like someone whose driving is so bad he gets banned. That is why you said you started riding a
    bike isn't it?

    > I think you'll find that there are lots of inappropriate tens of thousands of pounds worth of
    > cars out there, not just 4x4's and as for inappropriate vehicles, I seriously would not want a
    > bog standard car 'round these 'ere parts, Frank. The lack of investment in road surfaces for
    > the last 30
    years
    > has led to very uneven surfaces indeed. As a cyclist it p*sses me off somewhat. As a car owner,
    > even more so...possibly, Frank

    Road surfaces, what you mean road humps slowing you down?

    > ps, not quite sure what this means :- ''seem to be selfishly will to endanger other road
    > users.''....?

    It means I can't write to well when I'm drunk ;o) should be ''seem to be selfishly willing to
    endanger other road users.''.

    Now who does that sound like?

  16. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Frank°" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > I think you'll find that's a certain sort of person Frank, rather than
    the
    > > sort of person that drives a certain kind of motor, Frank. It is a
    certain
    > > sort of person who has no regard for other road users, Frank, like
    failing
    > > to show the courtesy of occassionally letting other road users take presedence <s?> when they
    > > don't necessarily have ROW, Frank,
    f'rinstance.

    > What like someone whose driving is so bad he gets banned. That is why you said you started riding
    > a bike isn't it?

    23 years driving, never even been near an accident, Frank. Don't sound too bad ;-)..... 3 instances
    of speeding in the wrong place at the wrong time. I now appreciate the error of my ways and never
    speed, boy am I popular!!. Life's a learning process, Frank, remember, the man who never makes
    mistakes, never does anything, Frank

    > > I think you'll find that there are lots of inappropriate tens of
    thousands
    > > of pounds worth of cars out there, not just 4x4's and as for
    inappropriate
    > > vehicles, I seriously would not want a bog standard car 'round these
    'ere
    > > parts, Frank. The lack of investment in road surfaces for the last 30
    > years
    > > has led to very uneven surfaces indeed. As a cyclist it p*sses me off somewhat. As a car owner,
    > > even more so...possibly, Frank
    >
    > Road surfaces, what you mean road humps slowing you down?

    Nope, I mean potholes the size of small village duckponds. Never had a problem with traffic calming
    measures, apart from when on me bike and I'm squeezed into an area I'd rather not be sharing with
    inconsiderate road users, Frank...;-)

    > > ps, not quite sure what this means :- ''seem to be selfishly will to endanger other road
    > > users.''....?
    > >

    > It means I can't write to well when I'm drunk ;o) should be ''seem to be selfishly willing to
    > endanger other road users.''.
    >
    > Now who does that sound like?

    It's always *other* inconsiderate road users, eh, Frank ? ;-)

  17. W K

    W K Guest

    > of pounds worth of cars out there, not just 4x4's and as for inappropriate vehicles, I seriously
    > would not want a bog standard car 'round these 'ere parts, Frank. The lack of investment in road
    > surfaces for the last 30
    years
    > has led to very uneven surfaces indeed.

    As J****y C***son described my car as only being fit for African taxi drivers, then I'll take it
    that the bog standard car is OK on any road in the UK (although perhaps not the ROI!!)