4x4 choices for bikes and surf fishing... and family

James Y. Yang

Guest
we're looking for a second car, and i'd like to get something that can go onto the beaches here in
nc (and elsewhere). i'm a longtime pier fisher, but will be new to the beach and surf. it *is*
necessary to get a good 4x4 as a fisherman in nc, isn't it? i've heard there are good parks to go
camping at also, where you need 4x4 capability?

we also need the car to be decent or good on the road, for normal use. we have a new baby... also,
my s.o. is only 5'1" tall, while i'm 6' so i don't want her to feel the truck is too high (getting
in) or too big (reaching the trunk, etc).

we're looking at the MAZDA TRIBUTE. We know it drives well on the road... is the 4 wheel drive V6
reasonable for the beach?? Enough power? Won't get stuck? I've heard compact suv's like the CRV are
not good that way..

any real differences on the FORD ESCAPE? how is the Jeep liberty? Toyota 4runner tops the charts but
$$... would have to get a *more* used one.

What do you all drive on the beach for fishing/camping/biking? i guess ideally you want a truck
truck for the beach, which probably doesn't ride that well on the road, and a car car for
everyday.... but what's the best of both worlds, or the best compromise?... we have a budget too to
consider and we'd like to stay in the 15-22K range for a new, or 1-2 year old, <20-30K miles type
of bracket.

also, anyone know if a slim thule or other cargo box plus a couple mountain bike trays would fit on
top of the Mazda tribute?

can you email replies to me, if you also post? thx in advance james [email protected]

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:

"James Y. Yang" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> we're looking for a second car, and i'd like to get something that can go onto the beaches here in
> nc (and elsewhere). i'm a longtime pier fisher, but will be new to the beach and surf. it *is*
> necessary to get a good 4x4 as a fisherman in nc, isn't it? i've heard there are good parks to go
> camping at also, where you need 4x4 capability?
>
> we also need the car to be decent or good on the road, for normal use. we have a new baby... also,
> my s.o. is only 5'1" tall, while i'm 6' so i don't want her to feel the truck is too high (getting
> in) or too big (reaching the trunk, etc).
>
> we're looking at the MAZDA TRIBUTE. We know it drives well on the road... is the 4 wheel drive V6
> reasonable for the beach?? Enough power? Won't get stuck? I've heard compact suv's like the CRV
> are not good that way..
>
> any real differences on the FORD ESCAPE? how is the Jeep liberty? Toyota 4runner tops the charts
> but $$... would have to get a *more* used one.
>
> What do you all drive on the beach for fishing/camping/biking? i guess ideally you want a truck
> truck for the beach, which probably doesn't ride that well on the road, and a car car for
> everyday.... but what's the best of both worlds, or the best compromise?... we have a budget too
> to consider and we'd like to stay in the 15-22K range for a new, or 1-2 year old, <20-30K miles
> type of bracket.
>
> also, anyone know if a slim thule or other cargo box plus a couple mountain bike trays would fit
> on top of the Mazda tribute?
>
> can you email replies to me, if you also post? thx in advance james [email protected]
>
> --
> rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or
> contact the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
> http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

You might want to look at the Suzuki XL-7 (4 wheel drive version). You could get the third row seat
version and still stay close to the upper limit of your price range. Even an '02 model would be
good, and most (those sold after August last year) have a transferable 7 year 100,000 mile
powertrain warranty. It might be worth looking at.

--

On 16 Aug 2003 21:45:01 GMT, "Clay-in-Ky" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"James Y. Yang" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> we're looking for a second car, and i'd like to get something that can go onto the beaches here
>> in nc (and elsewhere). i'm a longtime pier fisher, but will be new to the beach and surf. it *is*
>> necessary to get a good 4x4 as a fisherman in nc, isn't it? i've heard there are good parks to go
>> camping at also, where you need 4x4 capability?

Check out the Subaru Outback. Way more interior space than many averaged sized SUV's. It's also much
easier to get bikes up on the roof.

Barry

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

Is it necessary to post again?

Well, I'll reply to a couple other points...

On 16 Aug 2003 15:55:31 GMT, James Y. Yang <[email protected]> wrote:
> we're looking for a second car, and i'd like to get something that can go onto the beaches here in
> nc (and elsewhere). i'm a longtime pier fisher, but will be new to the beach and surf. it *is*
> necessary to get a good 4x4 as a fisherman in nc, isn't it? i've heard there are

Only if you want one.

> good parks to go camping at also, where you need 4x4 capability?

I've never seen a campground or park that requires a real 4x4 to get to the site. The worst I've
seen is the Winterhawk bluegrass festival, which requires you to get up a big, steep hill; if it's
muddy, 2-wheel drive vehicles have a tough time.

Some campgrounds do have rather rough paths, but all that's required is a little extra ground
clearance.

> we also need the car to be decent or good on the road, for normal use.

This is when you'll use it most, on the road. You should probably make that a priority.

> road... is the 4 wheel drive V6 reasonable for the beach?? Enough power? Won't get stuck? I've
> heard compact suv's like the CRV are not good that way..

Compact SUVs, as well as larger ones built on a car platform, are not off-road vehicles, no matter
what the manufacturer claims. They can handle grass, the path to the campground, etc; but tough
stuff like deep in the woods or in deep sand, you need quite the ballsy off-road pickup (or SUV
built on a pickup truck platform).

Do you expect to drive on the beach? I've only ever seen vehicles allowed on the beach on TV shows
like Baywatch; nowhere I've been, have I seen vehicles permitted to drive onto the sand, or anywhere
out of the parking lot.

> any real differences on the FORD ESCAPE?

The Ford Escape is a car-based SUV. It will do anything spectacular. It probably gives a pretty good
ride on the road.

> how is the Jeep liberty?

Reportedly, the Liberty is okay. Never driven one.

> What do you all drive on the beach for fishing/camping/biking? i guess

I don't drive anything on the beach.

For fishing/camping/biking, I drove a 1997 Pontiac Grand Am for 5 years; a 1987 Cadillac Sedan
Deville for a couple years before that; and now I drive a full size pickup, specifically, a 2002 GMC
Sierra 4x4, extended cab, etc.

The Caddy and the Pontiac did fine for all sorts of off-road situations, although I did bend a wheel
by going too fast in the Caddy on a very rough trail.

People who think a low-slung, 2wd car can't go off road, either have never done it, or are
unskilled off-road drivers. They can't do really gnarly off road stuff; but car-based SUVs can't
either, except that they can deal with a little bit slipperier conditions and a little bit higher
clearance issues.

> ideally you want a truck truck for the beach, which probably doesn't ride that well on the road,
> and a car car for everyday.... but what's the best of both worlds, or the best compromise?... we
> have a budget

My GMC Sierra, which does NOT have any sort of off-road package, and has lame-looking road tires, is
the most comfortable vehicle I've ever driven. The tires, which look lame, provide ample grip in all
sorts of snow, mud, etc.

> also, anyone know if a slim thule or other cargo box plus a couple mountain bike trays would fit
> on top of the Mazda tribute?

I can't imagine why not.

> can you email replies to me, if you also post? thx in advance james [email protected]
--
Rick Onanian

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

James,

If I had the money to blow on a new car, I'd probably buy a Honda Element. This seems to meet all of
your criteria, and is available in four wheel drive. We (wife and I) have considered buying one but
have decided to wait a couple of years for a Hybrid gasoline/ electric vehicle. (Toyota Highlander,
Ford Escape, and Saturn VUE hybrids will all available within the next couple of years, as will a
Toyota Sienna Hybrid AWD (a real wallet-buster, no doubt.)

Until then, we're still cramming all of our stuff into our Saturn Wagon! The bikes go on a receiver
hitch rack in the back.

Dave Wissenbach

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Check out the Subaru Outback. Way more interior space than many averaged sized SUV's. It's also
> much easier to get bikes up on the roof.

I like Outbacks, but at 6'3" (not overly tall) I found they have a serious lack of legroom. I don't
see how you can say they have way more interior space than an average SUV, as my smallish 2-door
Explorer is roomier. Maybe more cargo space than a CRV or RAV 4, but those are quite a bit smaller
than average size and still have more legroom.

Nice vehicles though if you can fit in them.

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

[email protected] (James Y. Yang) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> we're looking for a second car, and i'd like to get something that can go onto the beaches here in
> nc (and elsewhere). i'm a longtime pier fisher, but will be new to the beach and surf. it *is*
> necessary to get a good 4x4 as a fisherman in nc, isn't it? i've heard there are good parks to go
> camping at also, where you need 4x4 capability?

Be wary of the Mazda Tribute/Ford Escape twins (they are mechanically identical, built by Ford).
They are good vehicles on paper, but have fairly poor reliability and resale value.

The Jeep Liberty also has shown poor reliability and resale. It is more capable off road than the
Tribute/Escape but rides rougher, doesn't drive as nice, is less roomy and gets poorer fuel economy.

A well used Toyota 4-runner would be a better vehicle than either the Escape/Tribute or the Liberty
are new. But it is probably more than what you need.

Take a long look at a Subaru Outback or Forester. Also a Honda CRV and Toyota RAV4 would probably
meet your needs. The CRV is especially nice for kids as it has a minivan-like passthough to the back
seats. The Hyundai Santa Fe is also a nice vehicle and comes with a great warranty. Do your research
and be sure to look at total cost of ownership, including resale value and maintenence costs. You
will find Ford, GM, and Chrysler products really struggle there, while Honda is typically the best.

Check out this article: http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-08-15-carcosts_x.htm

The "cute-utes" are not real off road vehicles only if you plan to rock hop with the Jeeps. They
should do fine for what you described. If you had any heavy towing to do I would say differently. It
would be silly to get a more capable 4x4 you would rarely if ever need, and you may get annoyed with
the "truckyness" that comes with the bigger
4x4s. I sure do. Then again, I really don't know how serious your off-road plans are. But I'm
guessing not as serious as you think. When I was in high school, my dad had a 2-wheel
drive 4-cylinder Ranger. You may be surprised where I took that thing. It made a fine
hunting vehicle.

I can tell you with absolute certainty to stay away from Ford Explorers. I have one and it is the
biggest piece of junk I have ever owned. And it doesn't even have 60,000 miles on it yet. The
initial price made it seem like a good value. But it's been anything but.

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

I guess for the beach you need wide tires and 4 wheel drive?

I am sure that down around Corpus Christi they have some favorite vehicles?

I think I have seen Chevy Suburbans in some articles?

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop Sacramento, CA www.kiene.com

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 15:10:01 +0000, Phil wrote:

> I like Outbacks, but at 6'3" (not overly tall) I found they have a serious lack of legroom. I
> don't see how you can say they have way more interior space than an average SUV, as my smallish
> 2-door Explorer is roomier.

If the Outback is too small for you, look at the Forester. It has more room in all ways, but still
isn't a gas hog or road-warrier.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | I don't believe you, you've got the whole damn thing all wrong. _`\(,_ | He's not the kind
you have to wind-up on Sundays. --Ian (_)/ (_) | Anderson

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 16 Aug 2003 21:45:01 GMT, "Clay-in-Ky" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >"James Y. Yang" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> we're looking for a second car, and i'd like to get something that can go onto the beaches here
> >> in nc (and elsewhere). i'm a longtime pier fisher, but will be new to the beach and surf. it
> >> *is* necessary to get a good 4x4 as a fisherman in nc, isn't it? i've heard there are good
> >> parks to go camping at also, where you need 4x4 capability?
>

> Check out the Subaru Outback. Way more interior space than many averaged sized SUV's. It's also
> much easier to get bikes up on the roof.

Outback simply SUCK for beach riding. I almost lost mine in Kauai. Yes, I took the air down to 20psi
and all that funky stuff. It doesn't have a real 4x4 and only the wheel with least resistance spins.
I know, I have a lot of scars to prove it - trying to get it out.

A 4 runner towed me out - for a case of beer.

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

> Outback simply SUCK for beach riding. I almost lost mine in Kauai. Yes, I took the air down to
> 20psi and all that funky stuff. It doesn't have a real 4x4 and only the wheel with least
> resistance spins. I know, I have a lot of scars to prove it - trying to get it out.
>
> A 4 runner towed me out - for a case of beer.

20 PSI is generally too high. Try 15 or even 10 PSI next time and you can probably go anywhere.

--

in rec.autos.4x4, "Dan J.S." <[email protected]> wrote:
>Outback simply SUCK for beach riding. I almost lost mine in Kauai. Yes, I took the air down to
>20psi and all that funky stuff. It doesn't have a real 4x4 and only the wheel with least resistance
>spins. I know, I have a lot of scars to prove it - trying to get it out.

Down to 20psi? For sand try more like 5-8 psi.... I run 2-3 psi in the snow/sand.

~Brian

--

On 19 Aug 2003 02:05:01 GMT, Dan J.S. <[email protected]> wrote:
> Outback simply SUCK for beach riding. I almost lost mine in Kauai. Yes, I took the air down to
> 20psi and all that funky stuff. It doesn't have a real 4x4 and only the wheel with least
> resistance spins. I know, I have a lot

I thought those fancy modern "All Wheel Drive" systems are supposed to power the wheels that DO
get traction.

I guess I'll stick with my old assumption, that AWD is good for cars on less-than-perfect roads
/ weather, and not much else. Maybe different AWD systems from different manufacturers are
better or worse.

--
Rick Onanian

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

I've driven my Jeep Wrangler on the NC outer banks beaches. It's actually pretty tough conditions
getting over the dune trails. I saw a Subaru getting pulled out of the deep sand - he was buried up
to his frame, and two really big 4wd trucks were having trouble getting him out. Depending on recent
weather, you might have to drive quite a distance through the softest, driest sand you can imagine,
with really deep tracks that require good clearance. On the beach I see mostly 4WD trucks and
"normal/large" size SUVs, not the small ones. You need to lower your tire pressure to 15-10 psi.
Once you clear the really soft sand you can drive easily. There's nothing like the outer banks
beaches - sometimes you can drive till you can barley see another vehicle, and have a mile of beach
all to yourself. Other times it's like a parking lot of 4x4s. Not sure why. You can also ride a
mountain bike along the hard sand at the water's edge, but the sand and salt are really bad for the
bike... Brad

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

This past April I had my GMC Sarfari AWD van on the beaches in Hatteras... deflate the air pressure
in your tires to 20psi and off you go!!! Everything fits in, or, or behind the van.

--
Marty S. Baltimore, MD USA

"James Y. Yang" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> we're looking for a second car, and i'd like to get something that can go onto the beaches here in
> nc (and elsewhere). i'm a longtime pier fisher, but will be new to the beach and surf. it *is*
> necessary to get a good 4x4 as a fisherman in nc, isn't it? i've heard there are good parks to go
> camping at also, where you need 4x4 capability?
>
> we also need the car to be decent or good on the road, for normal use. we have a new baby... also,
> my s.o. is only 5'1" tall, while i'm 6' so i don't want her to feel the truck is too high (getting
> in) or too big (reaching the trunk, etc).
>
> we're looking at the MAZDA TRIBUTE. We know it drives well on the road... is the 4 wheel drive V6
> reasonable for the beach?? Enough power? Won't get stuck? I've heard compact suv's like the CRV
> are not good that way..
>
> any real differences on the FORD ESCAPE? how is the Jeep liberty? Toyota 4runner tops the charts
> but $$... would have to get a *more* used one.
>
> What do you all drive on the beach for fishing/camping/biking? i guess ideally you want a truck
> truck for the beach, which probably doesn't ride that well on the road, and a car car for
> everyday.... but what's the best of both worlds, or the best compromise?... we have a budget too
> to consider and we'd like to stay in the 15-22K range for a new, or 1-2 year old, <20-30K miles
> type of bracket.
>
> also, anyone know if a slim thule or other cargo box plus a couple mountain bike trays would fit
> on top of the Mazda tribute?
>
> can you email replies to me, if you also post? thx in advance james [email protected]
>
> --
> rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or
> contact the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
> http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

What I drive is a 2001.5 Dodge Cummins Diesel 4x4 Quad Cab with topper.... But that doesn't really sound like the type of vehichle that you are looking for.

In the Small SUV market, I would look at the Nissan Xtera. Other options for me would be a Dodge Dakota Quad cab or Explorer Sport Track.

I live in Iowa, and I couldn't begin to tell you how many people I have pulled out because they thought 4x4 was not needed....snow of course....

I have a Durango and it does pretty well. It isn't some crazy outlaw rockcrawler, but I have driven on our beaches and some minor dunes out here without too much trouble. That is after I learned to lower your air pressure! It gets pretty poor gas mileage would be my biggest complaint. We keep it tuned and in good repair and I am happy to get 17MPH on the highway/13 in town.

How is the reliability with Saturn's little SUV? Someone at work just bought one and I sat in it, it's pretty comfortable (I am 6'3" 270lbs). You certainly could not go wrong with the venerable Cherokee. They pretty much last forever if you take care of them. Good luck and have fun shopping.

K.

I go to the NC beaches many times throughout the year. I have owned a 2001 santafe and now i have a
2002 xterra. The santafe did pretty good on the beaches from oregon inlet to ocracoke. One drawback
for the hyundai is the lack of a 4lo, just in case you hit some orange sand, you may need it. also,
it always made an annoying jingling/creaking noise while on the deep sand, never figured out what it
was, maybe plastic skid plate. the xterra is much much better on the beaches. it has gone places
that they big boys (full size gmc trucks) couldn't (passed many a stuck gmc pickup). i pulled out a
honda crv from oregon inlet once and a suburu something or another form ocrackoe. i always run
25-26psi which is perfect for the combination of beach driving and highway driving (under 50mph). I
have never gotten stuck at that pressure. I did get stuck with the santafe when i was running 30psi,
but really, i also got stuck on carolina beach once in my then new 98 cherokee for the same reason,
tire pressure....all the owners manuals i read say not to deflate the tires, that's nonsense. you
MUST! i am really satisfied with the Xterra and will not part with it for years to come voluntarily.
It's also solor yellow and easy to pick out in the parking lot....

:)

blah the impale <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I go to the NC beaches many times throughout the year. I have owned a 2001 santafe and now i have
> a 2002 xterra. The santafe did pretty good on the beaches from oregon inlet to ocracoke. One
> drawback for the hyundai is the lack of a 4lo, just in case you hit some orange sand, you may need
> it. also, it always made an annoying jingling/creaking noise while on the deep sand, never figured
> out what it was, maybe plastic skid plate. the xterra is much much better on the beaches. it has
> gone places that they big boys (full size gmc trucks) couldn't (passed many a stuck gmc pickup). i
> pulled out a honda crv from oregon inlet once and a suburu something or another form ocrackoe. i
> always run 25-26psi which is perfect for the combination of beach driving and highway driving
> (under 50mph). I have never gotten stuck at that pressure. I did get stuck with the santafe when i
> was running 30psi, but really, i also got stuck on carolina beach once in my then new 98 cherokee
> for the same reason, tire pressure....all the owners manuals i read say not to deflate the tires,
> that's nonsense. you MUST! i am really satisfied with the Xterra and will not part with it for
> years to come voluntarily. It's also solor yellow and easy to pick out in the parking lot....

Since the last time this thread was around I am happy to report that my Explorer is GONE and good
riddance. Just in the shop way, way too much and I finally got fed up and sold it.

I just purchased a 2000 4Runner. For what I paid I could have gotten a year-old Explorer,
Trailblazer, or Grand Cherokee but my 98 Explorer was a good lesson in domestic reliability and
depreciation (323 service bulletins, 9 recalls!). More research on JD Power revealed the
Trailblazer and Grand Cherokee were even WORSE! But that was no surprise, as personal experience
told me that. I couldn't be happier with my 4Runner, it is a better vehicle than my Explorer was in
almost every way. Of course, I expect that with what it cost. I plan on keeping this truck for a
long, long, time. I wanted a truck and not a pavement queen like most SUVs are turning into, so
this should keep me happy.