5/22/04: a few other stories

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Sonarrat, May 22, 2004.

  1. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    We've all heard by now of the Ukraine double in the Giro, with Serhiy
    Honchar winning the ITT and Yaroslav Popovych taking third,
    simultaneously taking the Maglia Rosa by 3 seconds over Honchar. And
    we've all heard about Stage 4b of the Tour of Belgium being cancelled in
    the wake of a major crash, apparently taking an American race of a month
    ago as a precedent. Perhaps you cared about the re-emergence of Moreau
    and the continued strength of elder statesman Ekimov, perhaps you
    didn't. Here are a few other things I've kept my eye on...

    Santiago Botero is actually hanging tough, much better than I thought
    based on the first two days of the Bayern Rundfahrt. The past two
    stages have been peppered with lots of climbs, six Cat. 1's in all, and
    he stayed with the peloton, avoiding enormous splits. I would upgrade
    him from a thumbs-down to a question mark at this point, to put it in
    rough inhumane terms.

    Looking at the two teams classificiations for the Giro d'Italia, I'm
    quite surprised to see that Alessio-Bianchi is leading both of them -
    the Trofeo Fast Team (aggregate time) and Trofeo Super Team (cumulative
    points). But there it is, plain as day, even though no Alessio rider
    has yet won anything in this Giro - be it a stage, an Intergiro sprint,
    or a mountain climb. But with the combined talents of Andrea Noe',
    Christian Moreni, Magnus Backstedt (whose Velonews blog is a joy to
    read), Angelo Furlan, and a very strong Franco Pellizotti, it certainly
    hasn't been for lack of trying. This is just solid, dogged tenacity at
    work and I think it may pay off big by the end of this race.

    -Sonarrat.

    Tags:

  2. matabala

    matabala Guest

    What to think of Cadel Evans HD at L-R?

    "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > We've all heard by now of the Ukraine double in the Giro, with Serhiy
    > Honchar winning the ITT and Yaroslav Popovych taking third,
    > simultaneously taking the Maglia Rosa by 3 seconds over Honchar. And
    > we've all heard about Stage 4b of the Tour of Belgium being cancelled in
    > the wake of a major crash, apparently taking an American race of a month
    > ago as a precedent. Perhaps you cared about the re-emergence of Moreau
    > and the continued strength of elder statesman Ekimov, perhaps you
    > didn't. Here are a few other things I've kept my eye on...
    >
    > Santiago Botero is actually hanging tough, much better than I thought
    > based on the first two days of the Bayern Rundfahrt. The past two
    > stages have been peppered with lots of climbs, six Cat. 1's in all, and
    > he stayed with the peloton, avoiding enormous splits. I would upgrade
    > him from a thumbs-down to a question mark at this point, to put it in
    > rough inhumane terms.
    >
    > Looking at the two teams classificiations for the Giro d'Italia, I'm
    > quite surprised to see that Alessio-Bianchi is leading both of them -
    > the Trofeo Fast Team (aggregate time) and Trofeo Super Team (cumulative
    > points). But there it is, plain as day, even though no Alessio rider
    > has yet won anything in this Giro - be it a stage, an Intergiro sprint,
    > or a mountain climb. But with the combined talents of Andrea Noe',
    > Christian Moreni, Magnus Backstedt (whose Velonews blog is a joy to
    > read), Angelo Furlan, and a very strong Franco Pellizotti, it certainly
    > hasn't been for lack of trying. This is just solid, dogged tenacity at
    > work and I think it may pay off big by the end of this race.
    >
    > -Sonarrat.

  3. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "matabala" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > What to think of Cadel Evans HD at L-R?

    It's not clear what happened to him, but personally, I prefer to see a
    rider go Hors Delai having done the course and having crossed the finish
    line, rather than dropping out mid-stage. It's a matter of
    professionalism and dedication. David Millar DNF'ed today, and that
    makes me a little worried...

    I think there was something not right about the T-Mobile presence in
    this race from the beginning. I noticed that on the first stage, there
    was a group of 5 that finished more than 16 minutes down and there were
    three T-Mobiles in it (not Evans)... I think there might have been a
    contagious illness in the team which just happened to hit Cadel
    particularly hard today.

    -Sonarrat.

  4. Sonarrat wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "matabala" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>What to think of Cadel Evans HD at L-R?

    > It's not clear what happened to him, but personally, I prefer to see a
    > rider go Hors Delai having done the course and having crossed the finish
    > line, rather than dropping out mid-stage. It's a matter of
    > professionalism and dedication. David Millar DNF'ed today, and that
    > makes me a little worried...
    >
    > I think there was something not right about the T-Mobile presence in
    > this race from the beginning. I noticed that on the first stage, there
    > was a group of 5 that finished more than 16 minutes down and there were
    > three T-Mobiles in it (not Evans)... I think there might have been a
    > contagious illness in the team which just happened to hit Cadel
    > particularly hard today.
    >
    > -Sonarrat.

    Story is up at cyclingnews.com and on Evans website.
    Evan's fell while in the second group, was run over by two other riders
    then had to wait for the second car to bring him a wheel. It was back
    in the caravan and the #1 car was up at the break. The Wheel came and
    it's found that his Rear Mech is toasted, so they call the front car and
    a mechanic *rides* his back up bike back through the pack to get it to
    him....... Apparently Der JAn was supposed to be in attendance but
    something went wrong and they ended up with Evans riding for CG.

  5. Sonarrat <[email protected]> wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "matabala" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > What to think of Cadel Evans HD at L-R?

    > It's not clear what happened to him, but personally, I prefer to see a
    > rider go Hors Delai having done the course and having crossed the finish
    > line, rather than dropping out mid-stage. It's a matter of
    > professionalism and dedication. David Millar DNF'ed today, and that
    > makes me a little worried...

    Many of these guys have to race again next week. Toughing it
    out to the finish may show guts and the stubbornness of a
    Hinault or Armstrong (what was Armstrong's first WC race,
    where he finished last in miserable conditions?). Or it
    may just be keeping one step ahead of the broom wagon, riding
    yourself into a hole while sick, injured or just plain fatigued.
    Professionalism also means knowing when not to kill yourself
    so that you can regain some condition for the next race.

    To make a ball-sports analogy, playing while hurt isn't always
    good for the team, unless it's the biggest game of the year.

  6. otto

    otto Guest

    Benjamin Weiner <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<
    > Many of these guys have to race again next week. Toughing it
    > out to the finish may show guts and the stubbornness of a
    > Hinault or Armstrong (what was Armstrong's first WC race,
    > where he finished last in miserable conditions?).

    Classica san sebastian, or Donastia-Donastia if you like. He came in
    last, a week or two after the Olympics. The next week (IIRC) he came
    in 2nd at Zurich to Ekimov.

  7. "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "matabala" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > What to think of Cadel Evans HD at L-R?

    > It's not clear what happened to him, but personally, I prefer to see a
    > rider go Hors Delai having done the course and having crossed the finish
    > line, rather than dropping out mid-stage. It's a matter of
    > professionalism and dedication. David Millar DNF'ed today, and that
    > makes me a little worried...
    ><SNIP>

    I heard he was HD after being penalized for using the team car to tow him
    back to the peloton after he crashed.

    -T

  8. Tom Schulenburg wrote:

    > "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>In article <[email protected]>,
    >> "matabala" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>What to think of Cadel Evans HD at L-R?

    >>It's not clear what happened to him, but personally, I prefer to see a
    >>rider go Hors Delai having done the course and having crossed the finish
    >>line, rather than dropping out mid-stage. It's a matter of
    >>professionalism and dedication. David Millar DNF'ed today, and that
    >>makes me a little worried...
    >><SNIP>

    > I heard he was HD after being penalized for using the team car to tow him
    > back to the peloton after he crashed.
    >
    > -T

    yeah they said he spent "too much time" hanging on to the car while they
    tried to get the bike to run right..... However it sounded like he went
    HD before penelties but that part wasn't clear.....