5/22/04: a few other stories

Sonarrat

Guest
We've all heard by now of the Ukraine double in the Giro, with Serhiy
Honchar winning the ITT and Yaroslav Popovych taking third,
simultaneously taking the Maglia Rosa by 3 seconds over Honchar. And
we've all heard about Stage 4b of the Tour of Belgium being cancelled in
the wake of a major crash, apparently taking an American race of a month
ago as a precedent. Perhaps you cared about the re-emergence of Moreau
and the continued strength of elder statesman Ekimov, perhaps you
didn't. Here are a few other things I've kept my eye on...

Santiago Botero is actually hanging tough, much better than I thought
based on the first two days of the Bayern Rundfahrt. The past two
stages have been peppered with lots of climbs, six Cat. 1's in all, and
he stayed with the peloton, avoiding enormous splits. I would upgrade
him from a thumbs-down to a question mark at this point, to put it in
rough inhumane terms.

Looking at the two teams classificiations for the Giro d'Italia, I'm
quite surprised to see that Alessio-Bianchi is leading both of them -
the Trofeo Fast Team (aggregate time) and Trofeo Super Team (cumulative
points). But there it is, plain as day, even though no Alessio rider
has yet won anything in this Giro - be it a stage, an Intergiro sprint,
or a mountain climb. But with the combined talents of Andrea Noe',
Christian Moreni, Magnus Backstedt (whose Velonews blog is a joy to
read), Angelo Furlan, and a very strong Franco Pellizotti, it certainly
hasn't been for lack of trying. This is just solid, dogged tenacity at
work and I think it may pay off big by the end of this race.

-Sonarrat.

What to think of Cadel Evans HD at L-R?

"Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> We've all heard by now of the Ukraine double in the Giro, with Serhiy
> Honchar winning the ITT and Yaroslav Popovych taking third,
> simultaneously taking the Maglia Rosa by 3 seconds over Honchar. And
> we've all heard about Stage 4b of the Tour of Belgium being cancelled in
> the wake of a major crash, apparently taking an American race of a month
> ago as a precedent. Perhaps you cared about the re-emergence of Moreau
> and the continued strength of elder statesman Ekimov, perhaps you
> didn't. Here are a few other things I've kept my eye on...
>
> Santiago Botero is actually hanging tough, much better than I thought
> based on the first two days of the Bayern Rundfahrt. The past two
> stages have been peppered with lots of climbs, six Cat. 1's in all, and
> he stayed with the peloton, avoiding enormous splits. I would upgrade
> him from a thumbs-down to a question mark at this point, to put it in
> rough inhumane terms.
>
> Looking at the two teams classificiations for the Giro d'Italia, I'm
> quite surprised to see that Alessio-Bianchi is leading both of them -
> the Trofeo Fast Team (aggregate time) and Trofeo Super Team (cumulative
> points). But there it is, plain as day, even though no Alessio rider
> has yet won anything in this Giro - be it a stage, an Intergiro sprint,
> or a mountain climb. But with the combined talents of Andrea Noe',
> Christian Moreni, Magnus Backstedt (whose Velonews blog is a joy to
> read), Angelo Furlan, and a very strong Franco Pellizotti, it certainly
> hasn't been for lack of trying. This is just solid, dogged tenacity at
> work and I think it may pay off big by the end of this race.
>
> -Sonarrat.

In article <[email protected]>,
"matabala" <[email protected]> wrote:

> What to think of Cadel Evans HD at L-R?

It's not clear what happened to him, but personally, I prefer to see a
rider go Hors Delai having done the course and having crossed the finish
line, rather than dropping out mid-stage. It's a matter of
professionalism and dedication. David Millar DNF'ed today, and that
makes me a little worried...

I think there was something not right about the T-Mobile presence in
this race from the beginning. I noticed that on the first stage, there
was a group of 5 that finished more than 16 minutes down and there were
three T-Mobiles in it (not Evans)... I think there might have been a
contagious illness in the team which just happened to hit Cadel
particularly hard today.

-Sonarrat.

Sonarrat wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "matabala" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>What to think of Cadel Evans HD at L-R?

> It's not clear what happened to him, but personally, I prefer to see a
> rider go Hors Delai having done the course and having crossed the finish
> line, rather than dropping out mid-stage. It's a matter of
> professionalism and dedication. David Millar DNF'ed today, and that
> makes me a little worried...
>
> I think there was something not right about the T-Mobile presence in
> this race from the beginning. I noticed that on the first stage, there
> was a group of 5 that finished more than 16 minutes down and there were
> three T-Mobiles in it (not Evans)... I think there might have been a
> contagious illness in the team which just happened to hit Cadel
> particularly hard today.
>
> -Sonarrat.

Story is up at cyclingnews.com and on Evans website.
Evan's fell while in the second group, was run over by two other riders
then had to wait for the second car to bring him a wheel. It was back
in the caravan and the #1 car was up at the break. The Wheel came and
it's found that his Rear Mech is toasted, so they call the front car and
a mechanic *rides* his back up bike back through the pack to get it to
him....... Apparently Der JAn was supposed to be in attendance but
something went wrong and they ended up with Evans riding for CG.

Sonarrat <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "matabala" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > What to think of Cadel Evans HD at L-R?

> It's not clear what happened to him, but personally, I prefer to see a
> rider go Hors Delai having done the course and having crossed the finish
> line, rather than dropping out mid-stage. It's a matter of
> professionalism and dedication. David Millar DNF'ed today, and that
> makes me a little worried...

Many of these guys have to race again next week. Toughing it
out to the finish may show guts and the stubbornness of a
Hinault or Armstrong (what was Armstrong's first WC race,
where he finished last in miserable conditions?). Or it
may just be keeping one step ahead of the broom wagon, riding
yourself into a hole while sick, injured or just plain fatigued.
Professionalism also means knowing when not to kill yourself
so that you can regain some condition for the next race.

To make a ball-sports analogy, playing while hurt isn't always
good for the team, unless it's the biggest game of the year.

Benjamin Weiner <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<
> Many of these guys have to race again next week. Toughing it
> out to the finish may show guts and the stubbornness of a
> Hinault or Armstrong (what was Armstrong's first WC race,
> where he finished last in miserable conditions?).

Classica san sebastian, or Donastia-Donastia if you like. He came in
last, a week or two after the Olympics. The next week (IIRC) he came
in 2nd at Zurich to Ekimov.

"Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "matabala" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > What to think of Cadel Evans HD at L-R?

> It's not clear what happened to him, but personally, I prefer to see a
> rider go Hors Delai having done the course and having crossed the finish
> line, rather than dropping out mid-stage. It's a matter of
> professionalism and dedication. David Millar DNF'ed today, and that
> makes me a little worried...
><SNIP>

I heard he was HD after being penalized for using the team car to tow him
back to the peloton after he crashed.

-T

Tom Schulenburg wrote:

> "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>In article <[email protected]>,
>> "matabala" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>What to think of Cadel Evans HD at L-R?

>>It's not clear what happened to him, but personally, I prefer to see a
>>rider go Hors Delai having done the course and having crossed the finish
>>line, rather than dropping out mid-stage. It's a matter of
>>professionalism and dedication. David Millar DNF'ed today, and that
>>makes me a little worried...
>><SNIP>

> I heard he was HD after being penalized for using the team car to tow him
> back to the peloton after he crashed.
>
> -T

yeah they said he spent "too much time" hanging on to the car while they
tried to get the bike to run right..... However it sounded like he went
HD before penelties but that part wasn't clear.....