5 - 6 hour ride nourishment?

jkca1

Apr 23, 2003
Newbie Question

This Sunday I will be going on a 72 mile ride/race. My longest ride to date has been 35 miles. The toughest section of the ride will start at mile 60. I figure the ride will take about 5 - 6 hours to complete, and that's all I want to do, complete the ride. What should I expect to eat during the ride? We are going through several small towns, will eating something during the ride help me or should I just carbo load and expect to get by with Power Bars and gels? Thanks.

-Jim-

Jim:

Is this in Tahoe??? Good luck bro if it is, because you will need it!!!

Since you only have a few days, it is too late to experiment with food. Stick to things you know your stomach agrees with. You can do the bar/gel or eat cookies, or whatever has carbs in it. Make sure it is easy to chew while riding. Drinks lots of fluid with light carbs in it like Gatorade or other sports drinks. Too much carbohydrate without enough water can make you sick. If your ride is stopping in towns eat something "real" you know will make your stomach happy.

Now for the ride. My advice would be to start in the front group of the ride, going at a pace you know you can handle. If the pace is too fast, drop back to a slower group. Most importantly, wheelsuck as much as possible, if not the whole ride. Do as little work as possible.

If people get mad at you and tell you to pull, make up some excuse like you just got over the flu or a bad knee injury, and you are lucky to stay on their wheel, let alone "pull." You could tell them that your longest ride was only 35 miles, but you will probably get more "understanding" from an illness. If you find a friendly group that tows you to the finish, you could buy them lunch to "repay" them.

Because your endurance is not that good, you will need all the help you can get. Stay on other riders wheels!!!

Good luck man!!!

J-MAT,

Yes, this is Tahoe. I have been training since just before we first talked. Thanks for all the advice and help. One of my goals this year was to make the trip around the lake and come home in one piece. If I can do that then I will be very satisfied. :)

-Jim-