5 best mountain bike towns?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Guest, May 10, 2002.

1. Banatean

Banatean New Member

Hey "The Den" you asked about some Canucks,well ya there a few here,this MTB forum does have a lot of Australians,South Africans and about 2 Americans ,the rest are in Iraq and Afganistan trying to take a picture of Sadam Husein and Bin Laden riding their hardtails in the sand dunes ,i hope their chains are well lubed ...(just kidding).Well i'm from Edmonton and you perfectly right on about our mountains ,Rocky Mountains rule !!!!

2. mikep

mikep New Member

Anyone seen the videos Kranked 3 & 4. That will give you some of the best spots all over the world. Well worth watching if you havent seen them. Some awsome down hill action.

3. sh0rty

sh0rty New Member

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada!!!

Can't have a list of "Best Mountain Biking Towns", and not include the "North Shore"...it has defigned "Freeriding" as the world knows it!

sh0rty :p

4. dblack

dblack New Member

I would sell a nut to live in Asheville because it gives you access to Pisgah and Tsali....some of the best mountain biking in the country IMHO. Actaully, the "moab" town of North Carolina would probably be Brevard because you have the southern part of Pisgah and DuPont state forest...site of an IMBA epic. You also have access to road rides into the Blue Ridge Mountains. There are multiple rides which rise 2500+ ft. and the tread is very nice. Unlike some western states, there is lower ratio of riders to singletrack....so you rarely see other riders. When you do meet other, especially at Tsali (west of Asheville) they are typically from other parts of the country. This is definately a "destination" for mtb.

5. Dredd

Dredd New Member

I thought the SF Bay area was one of the hottest spots for roadies and mtb'ers alike....:confused:

my vote: skeggs, purisima, russian ridge..lotsa places..this is mtb nirvana

6. Sidi

Sidi New Member

Santa Cruz, CA has my vote.
    Has some of the steepest accents you have ever seen.
    Check Alba Rd. Mountain Charly Rd.
    Santa Cruz has a big public park with MTB trails called Nicene Marks.
    I lived in Santa Cruz for 15 years and now want to get back there cause i don't like bike unfriendly New Hampshire.

7. Hunter

Hunter New Member

OK guys fr al the non Americans that wined about US only towns mentioned, well they rag that wtote the article is US based hence the listings. Also it was not only based on trails in the mentioned towns. It is an all encompassing rating. It ha to do with resturants, clubs, hotels, bike shops, etc. Now if you are describing "in the sticks" trails, with a very small "ghost" type town like I live in then it really does not fit the rating scale they used. Also I am sure there are opinions like the ones expressed her for trail quality, however see above for the reason not mentioned. Also trails did play a part but it has to do with a overall accessability to all skill levels. I have heard of some trails in Wistler BC that is not exactly for the beginner. Not that they are not good trails, but it does not fit the rating system used. I hope this clarifies this subject.

8. Dirtrider71

Dirtrider71 New Member

fruita is awesome!! when someone mentioned cresta butte, i think he means riding in taylor park. their are so many great trails in colorado , i just can't imagine living anywhere else.

9. Faferoni

Faferoni New Member

I'll have to vote for Deer Valley, Utah- or just Utah in general.

10. Dredd

Dredd New Member

11. floody

floody New Member

HELL YEAH!
    I live in South Hobart, right under the mountain tasdigi speaks of. Its awesome! the rock itself is 1270m high, with a myriad of trails up, down and around the thing. Theres awesome trails across the river, and even a few areas where there is wicked singletrack hiding just behind the houses. PLus, this 1270m mountain has a paved tourist road all the way up, so when it is not snowing, I can get shuttled to the top with my bike and raz down. Theres a downhill run near me that encompasses 2 suburbs...
    I am a bit Freeride/DH oriented, but there are good XC trails too.
    It is of interest to note that the mountain (Mt wellington) is 1270m tall, yet it is actually only 4.5kms from the ocean! So there is some steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep terrain here!

I want to go to the North Shore and Whistler one day though (yeah yeah, stereotypical freerider , right?), they sound awesome. Also, a place called Castle Rock in NZ sounds wicked too. http:/www.castlerock.co.nz I think.

cheers,
    floody

12. bigkeith

bigkeith New Member

i live in Philadephia and my vote is for the wissahickon valley . i'm a beginner but to my suprise i've heard that those were pretty tough. i hope to make it back to camp Pendleton CA and ride some of the hills i used to hump on .

hump=hike

13. Dredd

Dredd New Member

Yeah a nice 5 mile hump always does the body good. Hoorah!

Semper Fi :)

14. bigkeith

bigkeith New Member

5mile u must of been with Marine Corps base or the band he he

semper fi

pain is weekness leaving the body

15. Dredd

Dredd New Member

hehe 5 miles is a fun little warmup.. :)

i was an MP. got in some trouble...in the army now. :(

SEMPER FI FOR LIFE

16. bigkeith

bigkeith New Member

still wouldnt mind hitting those. i finally saw what moab looks like and damn i gotta get there

17. Adski

Adski New Member

Even with the recent fires taking out most of Mt Stromlo's trails, the town rocks. Bike paths and roads with wide shoulders for commuting. Every single hill in the town still has bushland on it, untouched by development and with bush or plantation pine forest.

The Ainslie/Majura combo ride can't be beat for an inner-city mtb, no shuttle required!

18. snowboy

snowboy New Member

I live in Colorado springs and it has some sweet trails. Some I ride 3 or 4 times a week. Ive lived here for 3 years now and still love riding here. Anyone else from the springs loking for people to ride with??????

19. Banatean

Banatean New Member

The town of Jasper and Banff in the province of Alberta in Canada :p .
    Dan

20. WCcannondale

WCcannondale New Member

Is the springs mostly singletrack? I live on the west slope and was wondering if the trails are as good there as here.