5 best mountain bike towns?

I used to live 10 miles from Fruita (Grand Junction) and that area has some of the GREATEST trails ever! It should be on the list, definately. I currently live in Eugene and while there are some good spots here it is not as good as any place in CO. They must have meant Eugene was good for roadies. There are enough of them here. There are cool rides, but not as abundantly available or epic. Moab is nice, but 5 best? Probably not. There are some insanely great rides in the northern Arizona area. The northern bay area has some killer rides as well.

How's the east coast? I've not ridden east of CO, but we have been thinking about it, maybe next summer. Keep the rubber side down.

K.

I live in a small town in northern Colorado, and I suspect that many, many locales all over the world are similar to mine: unheralded riding areas with heaps of bad ass singletrack, largely unmapped and known only to the locals. Which is as it should be. With all respect, there's way more single track here than there is in Fruita, for example...
The search continues...

verve,
I lived in Estes during the summers in H.S. and a few during college. I gotta admit there is some gnarly riding there (down hwy 7) but there is nothing better than screaming down the face of the bookcliffs in Fruita or burning out your legs on Mary's loop while looking down a 150' drop at the Colorado river. There are some good rides here in OR, but for my money CO is the best mtb state in the union. I miss it greatly some days, but I suppose that is what vacations are for. Please, please go have a pint at the Wheel bar for me, I miss it. I hope it's still open! I'm coming "home" next summer for a week. Maybe I'll see you on the trails. Have fun.

K.

Originally posted by Allo
Canberra, Australia. So much bush in the middle of town, I used to be able to commute 90% off-road from the suburbs to the centre. Some awesome single track right in the middle of the city, and if you want to get up into the mountains absolutely world class dh course as well as amazing xc at blue range. I'm sure there are better places on this fair earth, but that sure as hell is better than where I am now in Prague.

Sam

I have to agree... im now living in Canberra, surrounded by mountains and bush land... amazing quality downhill, singletrack and xc courses everywhere, especially Mt Majura. sionce i have moved here my riding has doubled...

btw how is Prauge for you... i love that city but i can understand the problem with MTB there!!!

Llanwrtyd Wells, Wales. miles upon miles of forestry fireroad and singletrack, plenty of MTB events all year round culminating in the Real Ale Wobble, a biking beer festival. Can life get any better.

Chico, CA has great mountain biking - everything from the most beginner trails to the most advanced. Upper Bidwell Park is the second largest state park in the country, and the riding there can be extremely technical; lower park has lots of nice single track for even a novice. Gotta ride early morning in the summer, as it reaches well above one hundred degrees here sometimes. But that's okay, just jump off your bike and into one of the many swimming holes along the canyon's yahi trail to cool off.

I usally ride my apollo 1999 mountain bike as fast road bike since they are faster than road bikes i use my MTB for suburb to suburb riding like from home to train station and from train station to college and back again and for quick riding to places I mainly use it for transport.

I am from Melbourne Australia and Melbourne has many bike tracks, there is a bike track in front of my college and thats like a quick route from the station.

Originally posted by MTBDangerMouse
I am from Melbourne Australia and Melbourne has many bike tracks, there is a bike track in front of my college and thats like a quick route from the station.

Really? where are you from in melbourne?? Used to live in the eastern suburbs.... around Camberwell... not much good riding in there though!

Do any of the Aussies have any experience with places like Threadbo or the other snow field areas in the Summer season???

Originally posted by Lasalles
Do any of the Aussies have any experience with places like Threadbo or the other snow field areas in the Summer season???

I have seen a few of the runs and a few of my mates have ridden at thredbo and jinderbine (where x-games was)... the are pretty awsome... if your thinking of going.. DO IT... but i cant give you any tips about where to ride cos i havnt done any myself..

Originally posted by sinnicm
I have seen a few of the runs and a few of my mates have ridden at thredbo and jinderbine (where x-games was)... the are pretty awsome... if your thinking of going.. DO IT... but i cant give you any tips about where to ride cos i havnt done any myself..
Thanks,i just returned from skiing at Threadbo afew weeks ago and now that i have a Mtn Bike i figured id love to go back at the end of next January(work holidays) and do some serious stuff like get to the top of Mt Kosciousko.I hope they have some descent trails to get up though as i wouldnt like to push my bike to the top.

Just back from Copper Harbor, MI and need to add this town to the list. Lots of varying difficulty trails.

They had the Fat Tire Festival going on there this weekend - lots of sweet lookin' rides there!

since no one has been overseas in this forum, I say again, Peru, S.A. Huancayo, Ayacucho, Macho Pichu...these are a just the tip of the ice berg...pardon me if you haven't left your MTB magazine couch.........

Cadrona New Zealand a ski field in summer they held nationals there.

Man, canada never gets the nod ! I'll bet we have some of the most challenging and diverse, not to mention the best mountain biking in North America for sure. Just a couple of short hours from Winnipeg,Manitoba lies some of the best MTB'ing Canadian Shield style! Rocks, roots, water, granite walls, fallen logs....you name it. My buds and I are not fans of hardpack bike paths, we enjoy putting our bods and bikes in harms way. Anyone care for more info, pm me.......until then ....keep it real!!

Alice Springs, Central Australia. The MacDonell ranges coughs up thousands of miles of dirt road, 4WD track, single track and goat track. Simply awesome. You can literally ride from here to the outskirts of Perth without even seeing a bitumen road!!

See www.cabc.info

Cheers,

Wave

Just regarding the Snowy Mountains in NSW,a guy told me Cooma was heaps better than Threadbo.