5 days in southern California... where to cycle...

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Nico Wieboldt, Feb 28, 2004.

  1. Hi guys,

    will be down in the LA area week after next. Have reserved 5 days for a cycling trip. Preferably
    road bike trips. Any suggestions?

    Thought of either a round trip (Santa Barbara area or Big Sur) or maybe just a part of the east
    coast, then back by train/bus. Any experiences from anyone out there?

    And what about doing just a "credit-card" trip? Know of any motels you can recommend?

    Open for all suggestions,

    thanks,

    Nico.

    w R i E e M b O l V d E [email protected] o m

    Tags:

  2. ... Must have been a little tired already when i posted... I meant "...or
    maybe just a part of the west coast..." (not east) ... :)

    "Nico Wieboldt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > will be down in the LA area week after next. Have reserved 5 days for a cycling trip. Preferably
    > road bike trips. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thought of either a round trip (Santa Barbara area or Big Sur) or maybe
    just
    > a part of the east coast, then back by train/bus. Any experiences from anyone out there?
    >
    > And what about doing just a "credit-card" trip? Know of any motels you can recommend?
    >
    > Open for all suggestions,
    >

    > thanks,
    >
    > Nico.
    >
    > w R i E e M b O l V d E [email protected] o m

  3. Rick Warner

    Rick Warner Guest

    On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 03:56:07 +0100, "Nico Wieboldt"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi guys,
    >
    >will be down in the LA area week after next. Have reserved 5 days for a cycling trip. Preferably
    >road bike trips. Any suggestions?
    >
    >Thought of either a round trip (Santa Barbara area or Big Sur) or maybe just a part of the east
    >coast, then back by train/bus. Any experiences from anyone out there?
    >
    >And what about doing just a "credit-card" trip? Know of any motels you can recommend?
    >
    >Open for all suggestions,
    >

    >thanks,
    >
    >Nico.

    For me, the better cycling would be to the north - Carmel down to Santa Barbara. One option would
    be to take the AmTrak (Pacific Surfliner) north to SLO and ride from there. The Surfliner has roll
    on capacity for bikes, but only goes as far north as SLO. Then you can ride from there. Riding
    north along the coast is normally upwind. So I would ride the train north then cycle south rather
    than vice-versa. Add to that the fact that there has been alot of rain lately, and some roads are
    closed; have not checked this weekend, but Hwy 1 along Big Sur was closed in several places a
    couple of weeks ago due to mud and rock slides. Love the Big Sur coast, but not wise to count on it
    being open this time of year.

    With 5 days from SLO I would probably loop up to San Simeon (short enough to not make the winds
    ornerous, and possibly inland to Paso Robles, then head back south. Would spend 1-2 days in the
    Solvang/Santa Ynez valley area. Probably a bit late to run into the USPS team that does do winter
    training there, but you can ride a lot of roads they use for training. The big climb up Figueroa
    Mtn is nice. Lots of other roads in that area to explore among the vineyards and orchards. You can
    climb up over the hills from the SY valley to SB taking back roads and avoid the 101 corridor. Lots
    of options.

    - rick