5 Minute Interval

leanman

Sep 20, 2009
whats the quickest way to be able to ride a 5 minute interval on the trainer in the 53x13 @ 100 rpm's? do a bunch of 30 second intervals faster than 100 rpm's in the 53x12? i aint talking building a huge base for months then the standard 20 minute intervals, then the hill repeats, then finally intervals, not the full year long plan, just the quickest way.. i aint sure, as i dont cram, but to give advice i imagine to be good in a 53x13 for 5 minutes, you should do short sprints in a 53x12 faster than 100 rpm's,or do maybe 60 second intervals faster than 100 rpms in a 53x14... i know squats and leg extensions are different muscle pattern movements...give me some advice please... thanks..

Why is the gear ratio so important? Gearing / speed on the trainer will not translate to the road, unless it is a computrainer.

You shod ride the trainer based on intensity, rpe, heart rate or power.

EPO, blood transfusions, being blessed with gifted parents and 20,000 miles a year and then 12 weeks of pursuit training might get you close.

30 seconds is a completely different type of effort than a VO2 Max hell 5 minute interval. There's no easy way, none. I've got more chance of persuading Demi Lovato that I'm a woman and that she should give lesbian sex another chance whilst listening to her song about her first try (Cool for the summer) than you do of 100rpm in the 13 cog at 100rpm.

I've never been a vegimaterian but someone could tempt me to try the tossed salad.

demi-lovato.jpg

hes got his bike on his trainer and the tension the way he wants it.. just a goal for him doing 5 minutes in his gear ...

Remove all resistance on the rollers, pump the tires up harder and put a little something under the bottom bracket to hold the weight of the bike and rider to further reduce rolling resistance.

Might as well do this outdoors. Find a highway descent off a mountain that's between 7 and 9% and bomb down that for 5 minutes in the 13 cog.

just a friend of a friend that does running and cycling as cardio along with weight training... hes not a runner or cyclist.. only runs and cycles 30 minute workouts..... just an all round in shape guy.. his goal, like i said, is riding the trainer, not going outside, in his gear.. hes already doing 3-4 minutes and wants to increase it to 5 minutes..

Just keep what he's doing and one day he'll get there. 4 minutes to 5 minutes isn't much - tell him to stop being such a puss and pedal for a bit longer. Since he's not a cyclist he may be better off lugging a 12 sprocket about 10 rpm less but since he has a bizarre goal of doing this in a 13 cog then tell him to just press on the pedals for another 60 seconds. What is so special about 100rpm and the 13 cog anyway?

swampy,, lol.. you can call him a puss. hes a friend of a friend.. if i called him that, its cool.. he knows im kidding.. if you called him that, he take your bike, and maybe your car too if he wanted it.. and seeing him a few times in the gym fighting, you and half the peloton wouldnt stand a chance..like i said .. hes after a pr in the biking part of his cardio..thanks for all your help though.. lol..

If he tried to take my bike from my garage I would shoot him in the face. :ph34r:

leanman said:
whats the quickest way to be able to ride a 5 minute interval on the trainer in the 53x13 @ 100 rpm's? do a bunch of 30 second intervals faster than 100 rpm's in the 53x12? i aint talking building a huge base for months then the standard 20 minute intervals, then the hill repeats, then finally intervals, not the full year long plan, just the quickest way.. i aint sure, as i dont cram, but to give advice i imagine to be good in a 53x13 for 5 minutes, you should do short sprints in a 53x12 faster than 100 rpm's,or do maybe 60 second intervals faster than 100 rpms in a 53x14... i know squats and leg extensions are different muscle pattern movements...give me some advice please... thanks..
I just turn the screw on the back of my trainer until the tire no longer contacts the tire.

for an old guy, i was hoping you have a better stupid remark than that one...seriously old guy.. you been around.. what pointer would you give? thanks

leanman said:
for an old guy, i was hoping you have a better stupid remark than that one...seriously old guy.. you been around.. what pointer would you give? thanks
I gave you the quickest way to achieve the stated goal.

he's already doing 3-4 minutes and wants to increase it to 5 minutes
53/13 @ 100rpm is about 31mph. About 400w on my trainer. There are no sortcuts.

I think Swampy nailed it. Just try to go longer at the given intensity.

leanman said:
He gave a valid response to a bizarre and silly goal. If your bud wants a quick and easy way to go faster then remove the pressure off the tire.

If your bud wants to really hammer 53x13 at 100rpm then he has a long process ahead of him and one where success is probably not going to happen. A 3 minute effort to anaerobic death and extending it to 5 minutes is harder than taking a 20 minute aerobic effort and extending it to an hour. Your friend either needs to harden the f**k up and deal with the massive volume of training required or do what both Old Man and myself have already said and cheat.

If you don't like this answer then, well, oh dear.