5 mph...

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

G.T.

...and I royally ate ****. I can't believe how many bruises and cuts I have from one little crash.

My legs were a little sore today so I decided to do a little urban exploration. I was near Griffith
Park and decided to take a little path next to the street, slightly off-camber, downslope to my
left, upslope with a 2 ft high cement curb to my right, slightly uphill. I'm poking along and there
is an 8" high utility vault coming up, nothing at all really, but according to the grass growing
around it and the path to the downslope, nobody had been going over the vault. So I lift my front
wheel onto it, roll a foot or two, for some unknown reason come to a sudden stop, my front wheel
twists and gets stuck between the curb and the vault, and I slam into the ground with the end of my
handlebar stuck in my gut. I get up, the front wheel is warped, I ripped a seat that has survived
unscathed for 4 years (longest ever), scraped the **** of my bars, nasty cuts on my shins, a huge
bruise on my hamstring that runs from the back of my knee up to the bottom of my ass, and smaller
bruises all over.

I was only going walking speed and I still don't know how I fell.

Thankfully not a scratch on the new bike and no need to true the front wheel, one of the great
benefits of discs.

Greg
--
"Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late, the battles we fought were long and hard,
just not to be consumed by rock n' roll..." - The Mekons

"G.T." <[email protected]> had this to say
news:p[email protected]

> ...and I royally ate ****. I can't believe how many bruises and cuts I have from one little crash.
>
> My legs were a little sore today so I decided to do a little urban exploration. I was near
> Griffith Park and decided to take a little path next to the street, slightly off-camber, downslope
> to my left, upslope with a 2 ft high cement curb to my right, slightly uphill. I'm poking along
> and there is an 8" high utility vault coming up, nothing at all really, but according to the grass
> growing around it and the path to the downslope, nobody had been going over the vault. So I lift
> my front wheel onto it, roll a foot or two, for some unknown reason come to a sudden stop, my
> front wheel twists and gets stuck between the curb and the vault, and I slam into the ground with
> the end of my handlebar stuck in my gut. I get up, the front wheel is warped, I ripped a seat that
> has survived unscathed for 4 years (longest ever), scraped the **** of my bars, nasty cuts on my
> shins, a huge bruise on my hamstring that runs from the back of my knee up to the bottom of my
> ass, and smaller bruises all over.
>
> I was only going walking speed and I still don't know how I fell.
>
> Thankfully not a scratch on the new bike and no need to true the front wheel, one of the great
> benefits of discs.
>
> Greg

Dave

In news:p[email protected],
G.T. <[email protected]> typed:
> ...and I royally ate ****. I can't believe how many bruises and cuts I have from one little crash.
>
<snip tale of woe and human pathos>

Oh man. It's amazing what momentum will carry us over. When you don't have it, well...

Heal fast.

Mike

>
> Greg

lol that's what you get from eating all that Del Taco ****.
--
Slacker

Michael Dart wrote:
> In news:p[email protected],
> G.T. <[email protected]> typed:
>
>>...and I royally ate ****. I can't believe how many bruises and cuts I have from one little crash.
>>
>
> <snip tale of woe and human pathos>
>
> Oh man. It's amazing what momentum will carry us over. When you don't have it, well...
>
> Heal fast.
>

Thanks, nothing major but when I was just working on my bike I noticed a big ol' clump of leg hair
and a little skin stuck on the banjo bolt for my front caliper.

I still cannot figure out what happened which is what is really bothering me. Even while I was
falling over I was thinking "this can't be happening".

Greg

--
"Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late, the battles we fought were long and hard,
just not to be consumed by rock n' roll..." - The Mekons

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 02:48:15 GMT, G.T. wrote:

> Thankfully not a scratch on the new bike and no need to true the front wheel, one of the great
> benefits of discs.

Well, as long as the BIKE is OK! ;-)

Heal fast, keep the shiny side up.

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

>
> Greg

With slow crashes, you've plenty of time to think, which often proves painful.

g

G.T. wrote:
>
> My legs were a little sore today so I decided to do a little urban exploration. I was near
> Griffith Park and decided to take a little path next to the street, slightly off-camber, downslope
> to my left, upslope with a 2 ft high cement curb to my right, slightly uphill. I'm poking along
> and there is an 8" high utility vault coming up, nothing at all really, but according to the grass
> growing around it and the path to the downslope, nobody had been going over the vault. So I lift
> my front wheel onto it, roll a foot or two, for some unknown reason come to a sudden stop, my
> front wheel twists and gets stuck between the curb and the vault, and I slam into the ground with
> the end of my handlebar stuck in my gut. I get up, the front wheel is warped, I ripped a seat that
> has survived unscathed for 4 years (longest ever), scraped the **** of my bars, nasty cuts on my
> shins, a huge bruise on my hamstring that runs from the back of my knee up to the bottom of my
>
>
> benefits of discs.
>
> Greg

Well that sucks! Back in the saddle with you, as soon as you can sit on it. ;-) FWIW Was your tire
wet from the grass? Wet and metal are a bad riding surface.

Heal Quick, Shawn

"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>
>
> benefits of discs.
>
> Greg

That's how it goes. The litle ones sneak up on you. Craig, a really good rider (our undisputed team
captain) and I decided to road ride our mtnbikes cross town for a cup of coffee one evening. We cut
through some fields, did some stunts over ditches, etc., and felt pretty full of ourselves. Had a
small curb to hop in front of the java joint. I made it first, a couple seconds later there's this
huge yard sale happenin sound behind me, and Craig's bit it pretty bad. No clue what happened, and
I've seen this guy ride stuff that was impossible.

Hope you heal up quick and that the mtb demons will now feel free to pick on someone else
for a while.

paladin

G.T. wrote:
>
<snip>

I think we've all done that. Probably more than once. I know I have. Glad it sounds like they are
relatively superficial wounds. Heal up!

Matt

RE/
>according to the grass growing around it and the path to the downslope,

>I was only going walking speed and I still don't know how I fell.

I rank grass right up there at the top of my hazard list - especially the nice, flat, smooth, mown
stuff. Weird things lurk down there....I like to see the dirt.
--
PeteCresswell

[email protected] (gazzer) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > ...and I royally ate ****. I can't believe how many bruises and cuts I have from one little
> > crash.
>
> > I was only going walking speed and I still don't know how I fell.
>
> >
> > Greg
>
> With slow crashes, you've plenty of time to think, which often proves painful.
>
> g

True. Too true. /s

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 02:48:15 GMT, "G.T." <[email protected]>
wrote:

>...and I royally ate ****.

[snip ouchy]

>I was only going walking speed and I still don't know how I fell.

...hate that.

>
>Thankfully not a scratch on the new bike and no need to true the front wheel, one of the great
>benefits of discs.

WTF!? NO NEED TO TRUE THE FRONT WHEEL! ARE YOU MAD!

>
>Greg

nice, bill

Stop Dave from humping, send money to have him/her spayed or nuetered.

"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
>
<snip woes>

I've had my share of low/no speed falls.

One that really stands out is when I was doing an urban ride due to wet weather. I was rolling
across a parking lot, came to the road, and a car was coming. Not a problem, I'll just keep my
balance until the car passes. Unbeknownst to me, where I stopped, was the low spot of the lot. My
front wheel was in sand about three inches deep, and I fell right over, still clipped in. It gave
the guy in the car a good laugh.

"mojo deluxe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> > ...and I royally ate ****. I can't believe how many bruises and cuts I have from one little
> > crash.
> >
> <snip woes>
>
> I've had my share of low/no speed falls.
>
> One that really stands out is when I was doing an urban ride due to wet weather. I was rolling
> across a parking lot, came to the road, and a car was coming. Not a problem, I'll just keep my
> balance until the car passes. Unbeknownst to me, where I stopped, was the low spot of the lot. My
> front wheel was in sand about three inches deep, and I fell right over, still clipped in. It gave
> the guy in the car a good laugh.

Doing our part to keep everybody happy. I rode back to our campground once with my kids, saw a
little six-inch log to hop, did everything right, knew there was no problem, except just in front of
the log was this gooey quicksand. My front wheel buried, and I endoe'd over the log and fubarred
things up pretty good. With at least a dozen admiring fans watching, too.

paladin

"Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "mojo deluxe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:p[email protected]...
> > > ...and I royally ate ****. I can't believe how many bruises and cuts
I
> > > have from one little crash.
> > >
> > <snip woes>
> >
> > I've had my share of low/no speed falls.
> >
> > One that really stands out is when I was doing an urban ride due to wet weather. I was rolling
> > across a parking lot, came to the road, and a car
was
> > coming. Not a problem, I'll just keep my balance until the car passes. Unbeknownst to me, where
> > I stopped, was the low spot of the lot. My
front
> > wheel was in sand about three inches deep, and I fell right over, still clipped in. It gave the
> > guy in the car a good laugh.
>
> Doing our part to keep everybody happy. I rode back to our campground once with my kids, saw a
> little six-inch log to hop, did everything right, knew there was no problem, except just in front
> of the log was this gooey quicksand. My front wheel buried, and I endoe'd over the log and
> fubarred things up pretty good. With at least a dozen admiring fans watching, too.
>
One of the first things I do, is to look around to see how many people saw me.

Status
Not open for further replies.