5 reasons why Contador should abandon the Tour

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by No_Positives, Jul 24, 2010.

1. No_Positives

No_Positives New Member

In the spirit of the Yellow Jersey, Alberto may want to bow out.

1. He did not win a stage
    2. He sucked more wheel than a tailpipe
    3. He attacked during a mechanical
    4. He lost the final TT by more than five minutes
    5. He's a dique

Tags:

2. campbellj

campbellj New Member

+1 on that, Alberto is a total dousche, but even if Andy did keep his 8 seconds lead and never have the mechanical failure, Alberto would have still beat him in the TT. It was looking like Andy could have been doing something at the first checkpoint today, but he obviously couldn't keep that pace for the last 2/3 Oh well, he will get it next year!

3. genedan

genedan New Member

1. The GC is decided by cumulative time, not stage victories.
    2. Sucking wheel is a legitimate tactic.
    3. There are no rules against attacking during a mechanical. Also, name a main contender who did not attack during a mechanical during this Tour?
    4. Again, the GC is decided by cumulative time. Contador still has the lowest accumulated time.
    5. Nice guys finish last.

Alberto has this tour locked up. Why should he leave?

4. Andrija

Andrija Member

Because Negatives says so.
    Because Negatives thinks if he attributes $hit to Contador that would make Armstrong greater.

5. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

Better be careful. You making WAAAAYYYY too much sense here. You know that can get you flamed on, don't you??:D

Yeah, that stage win gift to AS had me nauseous too...

AS looks alot more like LA than AC, so the considerable disappointment being openly displayed makes sense on an emotional level. Frankly, the on-the-road performance really has nothing to do with derision AC is receiving, IMO. He could gift the jersey back to AS and his detractors will still find something to whine about - that's what makes his stage win gift to AS so meaningless and why he shouldn't have done it...

Irrespective of what you've did, done, or gonna do, some people are gonna hate 'cha regardless because you're successful and they're simply envious/jealous...

6. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

gene, i don't think anyone is disputing the fact that the lowest accumulative time wins, it was the fashion that was lacking in his riding that makes it , well, so juvenile, so boring, with nothing spectacular to speak, nothing breakout and extraordinary comparatively to so, so many of the tours of the past. i think you know this already.

+1 op.

7. pennstater

pennstater New Member

Wow!!! Reallly? He should abandon the tour because he didn't win a stage and the other reasons you highlight? I agree that he should have just beaten AS on the stage up the tourmelet, but all the AC haters, after he didn't break any rules when attacking when Schleck had a mechanical problem, which may or not have been Schlecks own fault, whould have went after him with pitchforks and torches. Lets not forget that he never won a stage in the 2008 Giro. Perhaps he should give the Giro title to Ricco', I'm sure he deserves it more than Contador since Ricco' I think won two stage during that giro, which according to some of you guys means more than overall time.

8. No_Positives

No_Positives New Member

I think stage wins matter. If Hushovd wins the green jersey, would you say he is a better sprinter than Cavendish? The tour organizers should bring back the time bonuses for stage wins. If memory serves, it was like 20 seconds for a win, 10 for second, etc. which would have made things more interesting. If time bonuses were in effect, AS would not have dragged AC up the Tourmalet all the way to the finish. It would have been cat and mouse, then AS would have launched like he did in that other stage (stage 10?) when AC could not hang on.

Schleck knew all along that AC was not going to come over the top of him on the line, because you're right, AC would have been beaten like a rented mule by the entire peloton.

9. pennstater

pennstater New Member

Yeah, but both knew there were no time bonuses at the finish line. I agree, however, I think the addition of time bonuses make the tour more interesting.

I think it is speculation to say who would have won the stage up the Tourmalet. Both riders looked strong and if Schleck could have put time on AC he would have and if AC would have wanted to take the glory from Schleck I think he could have in the last few hundred meters of the stage. These are just opinions and I don't think we will ever know the "what ifs".

10. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Lets not forget that because Spartacus got his nuts twisted in his ladies panties and the 'riders protest' was organized on Stage 2, Andy Schleck should be eternally greatful that he didnt roll in that stage about 5 minutes down... That protest was only really advantageous for Saxo.

11. mitosis

mitosis New Member

Have to disagree with most posters on this thread.
    No AC shouldn't leave the tour, he has done nothing wrong.
    The complaint that he didn't win a stage was only true because he had enough class to let the guy who did all the work win it.
    The complaint that he wheel sucked could be made about most tour winners once they are wearing yellow so you can rule that one out.
    Lost the final time trial? - there's no rule that says the winner has to be the best timer trialler - and not winning that is not without precedent.
    He's the **** is the key to the post. There is obvious dislike for AC and to justify the tears that he won it the poster has to resort to a personal attack.
    And to the poster who thought this year's race was boring. The race I saw was the most exciting tour de france in years. It ended up a real race. It couldn't be decided after some killer mountain stages and was only just decided after the final time trial and then only by seconds.
    Forget how much you like or dislike the riders and enjoy the end of the biggest sporting event in the world.

12. fastalarms

fastalarms New Member

The time trial result proves that Contador cheated his way to this tour win.
    It is acknowledged by Contador himself that he broke protocol to attack Sh;eck when he had a mechanical.

Some observers said that would become irrelevant after the time trial because Contador would have beaten Shleck by more time than he gained that day anyway.

In truth that was not the case.

On the stage where Contador attacked shlecks mechanical Shleck had a 31 second lead.
    Contador took 39 seconds from Shleck that day giving himself an 8 second lead.
    In the time trial he took 31 seconds off shleck to increase his lead in the Yellow Jersey.

However if we take away the debatable 39 seconds that he 'stole' then he and shleck are on exactly the same time overall..
    They would have been going into Paris on exactly the same time. (fractions of seconds are not recorded on the overall times.

This makes Contadors victory wholly attributable to his self confessed breach of protocol when he attacked the Yellow Jersey with mechanical trouble.

I haven't scanned the tour rules but it is my guess that in the case of identical times the win would be awarded to the rider with the most stage wins - which would be Shleck of course.

I have just scanned the rules.
    All stages the riders times are rounded down to the nearest second. With the exception of time trial stages where fractions of seconds are recorded in case there are two near times.
    in this case the timekeeper would have known wether the time Contador beat Shleck by was 31 seconds exactly or less. It could be argued that Shleck could be the winner on time if the time stolen by Contador is taken into account. At less than a second this could have been the closest tour finish ever if Contador hadn't cheated.

13. baker3

baker3 New Member

Contador is obviously a worthy winner, this thread is stupid. Karma and good fortune went both ways during the race, the result is fair.

14. pearl-drum-man

pearl-drum-man New Member

LOL.

15. -InFeRnO-

-InFeRnO- New Member

You simply can't assume that the events would unfold exactly as they did if the chain fiasco did not occur. Stages would have played out differently, and I really doubt Contador would have "given" Andy the stage win on Tourmalet like many say he did.

That being said, Contador's a douche.

16. Yonni

Yonni New Member

1. He's the best rider of his generation.
    2. He's the best all round rider.
    3. He's won every grand tour he's ever competed in. Every single one!
    4. He's not the first to win a tour without a stage win and he won't be the last.
    5. You don't understand professional cycling, do you?

17. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

you must mean me. yeah, i was pouting i bit when i said what with Lance having crashed out of contention which, btw, had he not have run into that series of horrifying luck then it could have been said it was a real race as we could just imagine how much of a race it could have turned out to be and the most exciting in years but not as it turned out, it was just not spectacular...and first time i've ever witnessed the yellow jersey boo'd as well.

nothing to write home about but decent.

18. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I didn't know this.
    He's won every GT he's started - phenomenal.

You're correct, AC is the rider of this generation and he's only 27.
    AC will almost certainly overhaul Hinault/Merckx/Indurain 5 T'sDF record.

19. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

i''ll take that bet, one grand that is $1000 US monkies that says he falls short of 5 tour victories.

gotta go (women wait for no man so i gotta jump on her quick) , see you tomorrow, have and answer by then if you wouldn't mind. sleep on it.

20. Andrija

Andrija Member

I'll take your bet.
    But you'll call it off. In fact, I'm not sure we'll be seeing you here anymore. Armstrong retired, so you have no reason to be here.

You can say good bye in style... Bet in 1000000$ on Armstrong winning Olympic marathon in London.
    Will Black should be the bookie.