5 reasons why Contador should abandon the Tour

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by No_Positives, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Andrija

Andrija Member

Well, he won every GT he's started except one - 2005 Tour.
    Five out of six is impressive.

2. genedan

genedan New Member

I think Contador could win 5 Tours but I think it's just as likely another prodigy will pop up out of the blue and overtake him before he gets his chance. After all, Ulrich was supposedly going to win 5 Tours until Pantani and Armstrong showed up.

I still think Contador has a good chance to win the Tour next year. I'd give him the edge over Schleck because of his TT skills, but Schleck still has room for growth. I'd put the Contador/Schleck as the favorites with the gap smaller than that of Armstrong/Ullrich.

I wouldn't bet $1000 US monkeys on it though. I'm not aware of any monkeys indigenous to the US and I'm not sure if I can find them anywhere for a thousand dollars apiece.

3. gtm

gtm New Member

+ 1

He's the dominant stage racer of his generation - no two ways about it.

This was in many ways his most impressive victory because he wasn't on his best form & had to deal will a much improved Schleck. He still found a way to win. I've no doubt he would have wanted to win with more panache but at the end of the day he got the job done. The fact he burst into floods of tears at the end of the ITT showed what pressure he was under. He rode a tactically astute race with great maturity - no forgetting to eat or misguided attacks.

I think he'll win by a wider margin next year assuming the course is without a cobbled stage, has a longer prologue & has a TTT. I'd like to see him attempt the Giro / Tour double. If anyone can do it AC can. any idea's if he's going to attempt the Vuelta?

'Chaingate' is a red herring - Schleck got lucky several times during the race. Quid Pro Quo etc.

4. Yonni

Yonni New Member

I stand corrected - my info came from David Harmon (British Eurosport) who repeated the "fact" several times during this year's Tour.

5. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

mrs. armstrong always "think(s) stage wins matter" except whenever someone points out the great gulf between armstrong's number of stage wins and those of merckx and hinault. at that point, mrs. armstrong then thinks the g.c. matters most. curious world mrs. armstrong lives in.

6. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I agree Contador is a disgrace to cycling, I mean allowing your photo to be taken with Tom Cruise. Tasteless!

7. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

+1 That was really tacky.....

8. mattp1975

mattp1975 New Member

6. He's not American?!

He did us a favour not winning a stage...we didn't have to witness the ridiculous pistol nonsense.

9. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

LOL! How hypocritical can one get?
    Is it really possible that some Americans, gun lovers that they are, actually fail to appreciate seeing AC fire his pistol after shooting down another challenger??? Say it isn't so, Dimaggio...

10. pearl-drum-man

pearl-drum-man New Member

He had the squirt gun in the final stage, that satisfied me.:p