5 speed internal hub gear

Tottodude

New Member
Dec 24, 2004
Hiya folks

I have been looking for a way to upgrade my Brompton L3 to, say, L5 level. Basicaly switching the existing Sturmey Archer AW 3 speed internal hub gear with something that has five or more speed. The Problem is that most modern hub gears are made for 135mm triangle not 110mm.

I have contacted Greenspeed guys in Victoria but they don't stock SA 5 speed hub gear and other makes they stock are wider. Can someone tell me where i can locate used or new hub gear (less coaster brake or hub dynamo) of five or more speed, I wouldn't mind vintage models as long as they still work well. I am sure some component taken from older city bikes can be used on my Brompy....

Can anyone help? Even if the item is located outside Australia if the price and shipping are reasonable i may consider....

cheers

Josh

"Tottodude" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Hiya folks
>
> I have been looking for a way to upgrade my Brompton L3 to, say, L5
> level. Basicaly switching the existing Sturmey Archer AW 3 speed
> internal hub gear with something that has five or more speed. The
> Problem is that most modern hub gears are made for 135mm triangle not
> 110mm.
>
> I have contacted Greenspeed guys in Victoria but they don't stock SA 5
> speed hub gear and other makes they stock are wider. Can someone tell
> me where i can locate used or new hub gear (less coaster brake or hub
> dynamo) of five or more speed, I wouldn't mind vintage models as long
> as they still work well. I am sure some component taken from older
> city bikes can be used on my Brompy....
>
> Can anyone help? Even if the item is located outside Australia if the
> price and shipping are reasonable i may consider....
>
> cheers
>
> Josh
>

> --
> Tottodude

If you haven't already done so then you should contact Sheldon Brown.
He's an expert in this field.

His website is here. http://sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer.html

Marty

"Marty Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Tottodude" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Hiya folks
> >
> > I have been looking for a way to upgrade my Brompton L3 to, say, L5
> > level. Basicaly switching the existing Sturmey Archer AW 3 speed
> > internal hub gear with something that has five or more speed.

<snip>

> If you haven't already done so then you should contact Sheldon Brown.
> He's an expert in this field.
>
> His website is here. http://sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer.html

Also consider St John Street Cycles in Bridgewater, UK. They have heaps of
touring gear, including shop-soiled and scond hand items. I got my Brooks
saddle from them and they were very good. They list one SA hub with 114mm
width, the XRF-5. Email them about the possibilities
www.sjscycles.com

Cheers
Peter

Tottodude said:
[...]