5 weeks to train for hills - please advise

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by the_ryder, Apr 4, 2006.

1. the_ryder

the_ryder New Member

Hey All -

I was just afforded an opportunity to go to the Tour of the Unknown Coast in Northern California with all expenses paid and I would like to take advantage of this opportunity. The deal is basically that my friend's dad wants me to pull him through the hill stages and I have 5 weeks to get myself optimized for this job. Here is the event web page:

http://www.tuccycle.org/store/clothes.html

Can anyone advise me as to how I should prepare for this? Right now I have a good cardio base to work off of I just to crank and refine. Thanks for all the help.

PS

If it is any help - some stats:
    Height: 5' 8 1/2"
    Weight: 135-140 lbs
    If you need any other numbers when considering let me know.

Tags:

2. achtervolger

achtervolger New Member

Ah, the hell in Humboldt! My home ride!

Get in as many miles as you can between now and then, and be ready for wind, wind and rain. It's a tough, tough ride.

Worst of it (for me) is the wall, nearer the end, a long, ridiculously steep climb.

Long intervals would be what I'd do indoors when I couldn't get the miles in, 20 mins to 1/2 an hour at or around LT should get you there.

3. Sillyoldtwit

Sillyoldtwit New Member

Just what I'm doing for a 160km ride on a roller coaster mountain ride here in Japan in June. At least one long ride a week I think is necessary. I stepped up my Sunday ride last week to 75km including a 6km climb, and intend to extend this course to over 100km in May. The intervals you mentioned, and that I've been doing, made the 6km hill a piece of cake.
    Best of luck!;)