5-year Hiatus is over! What should I do to my Cinelli??

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Andy & Denice Katz, Jul 30, 2005.

  1. Hey -

    I moved to NJ, and had 2 kids (well, my wife did that). In the past 5 years,
    I haven't ridden my Cinelli Supercorsa w/ Campy Record 8 speed. Even when I
    got it new in '98, I didn't ride that much - summers in Central Park, around
    the loop a few times a week.

    Now I've decided to get back into light riding, and have some gear questions
    since I've been out of the loop for so long.

    I have a Cinelli XA stem and the Cinelli 64 Bars. I see now most bikes come
    with the threadless headstock and fixed stem post. Is there an advantage to
    getting an adapter so that I could buy a different stem and bars? Or will my
    XA stem last another 10 years?

    I wanna keep it at 8 speeds, but since my '94 rear record derailleur has a
    crack at the mounting bolt, I have to buy either an old 9-speed, or newer 10
    speed derailleur (not gonna spend $240 for a brand new 10-speed carbon
    Record job at this point). My chain is a Campy C-9, so can I buy a used
    10-speed and swap to the 9-speed pulleys--and still use my Ergo 8-speed
    shifters?

    Finally, I assume my barely used Torelli PGV tires will have to go, even
    though they weren't really used for 6 years??

    Thanks for the help!

    Andy

    Tags:

  2. Lee

    Lee Guest

    Andy,

    *Any* Campagnolo indexing derailleur will work with your 8 speed. Pick up an
    8, 9 or 10 speed derailleur on ebay and you'll be fine.

    With regard to the tires...I'd replace them with new ones. You'll have
    better performance from the latest generation of tires...and there are a lot
    of great choices available. Me, I use Vittoria, Michelins and Contis.

    And keep your beautiful XA stem. Nothing wrong with it and no, you will gain
    absolutely nothing from using a quill adapter and a threadless mount stem,
    aside from 2 hours down the toilet removing and remounting your bars, and
    some wasted bar tape.

    I've got a beautiful mid-90s Cinelli Super Corsa hanging on my wall, waiting
    to be built up as a fixxie. My every day rider, until recently, was an '89
    Colnago Spiral Conic SLX (replaced by a C40), and I'm curious to see how the
    two compare.

    Lee

    news:BF05B607.47B%[email protected]

  3. Andy & Denice Katz wrote:
    > Hey -
    >
    > I moved to NJ, and had 2 kids (well, my wife did that). In the past 5 years,
    > I haven't ridden my Cinelli Supercorsa w/ Campy Record 8 speed. Even when I
    > got it new in '98, I didn't ride that much - summers in Central Park, around
    > the loop a few times a week.
    >
    > Now I've decided to get back into light riding, and have some gear questions
    > since I've been out of the loop for so long.
    >
    > I have a Cinelli XA stem and the Cinelli 64 Bars. I see now most bikes come
    > with the threadless headstock and fixed stem post. Is there an advantage to
    > getting an adapter so that I could buy a different stem and bars? Or will my
    > XA stem last another 10 years?

    If it fits ya, no reason to switch. These things do not wear out.

    > I wanna keep it at 8 speeds, but since my '94 rear record derailleur has a
    > crack at the mounting bolt, I have to buy either an old 9-speed, or newer 10
    > speed derailleur (not gonna spend $240 for a brand new 10-speed carbon
    > Record job at this point). My chain is a Campy C-9, so can I buy a used
    > 10-speed and swap to the 9-speed pulleys--and still use my Ergo 8-speed
    > shifters?

    No need to do anything but put the 10s rear der on. No need to swap
    pulleys ir anything else. a 10s rear derailleur will work with an 8s
    chain without problem.

    > Finally, I assume my barely used Torelli PGV tires will have to go, even
    > though they weren't really used for 6 years??

    If they are not cracked, pump them up and go ride!! Congratulations on
    getting back on that really nice ride. As you get more into it, do not
    be swayed by the new crappola out there. None match the sweet ride of
    your Cinelli. They may be a few pounds lighter but remember lighter is
    just lighter, not better.

    > Thanks for the help!
    >
    > Andy

  4. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 12:23:09 GMT, Andy & Denice Katz <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hey -
    >
    >I moved to NJ, and had 2 kids (well, my wife did that). In the past 5 years,
    >I haven't ridden my Cinelli Supercorsa w/ Campy Record 8 speed. Even when I
    >got it new in '98, I didn't ride that much - summers in Central Park, around
    >the loop a few times a week.
    >
    >Now I've decided to get back into light riding, and have some gear questions
    >since I've been out of the loop for so long.
    >
    >I have a Cinelli XA stem and the Cinelli 64 Bars. I see now most bikes come
    >with the threadless headstock and fixed stem post. Is there an advantage to
    >getting an adapter so that I could buy a different stem and bars? Or will my
    >XA stem last another 10 years?
    >
    >I wanna keep it at 8 speeds, but since my '94 rear record derailleur has a
    >crack at the mounting bolt, I have to buy either an old 9-speed, or newer 10
    >speed derailleur (not gonna spend $240 for a brand new 10-speed carbon
    >Record job at this point). My chain is a Campy C-9, so can I buy a used
    >10-speed and swap to the 9-speed pulleys--and still use my Ergo 8-speed
    >shifters?
    >
    >Finally, I assume my barely used Torelli PGV tires will have to go, even
    >though they weren't really used for 6 years??

    Actually, the tires are the least of it. The alloyed steel in the frame will
    have crystallized by now that the bike is too dangerous to ride. If you ship it
    to me I can safely dispose of this potential disaster before it can harm you or
    anyone who might sue you.

    Ron

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Andy & Denice Katz wrote:

    > Hey -
    >
    > I moved to NJ, and had 2 kids (well, my wife did that). In the past 5 years,
    > I haven't ridden my Cinelli Supercorsa w/ Campy Record 8 speed. Even when I
    > got it new in '98, I didn't ride that much - summers in Central Park, around
    > the loop a few times a week.
    >
    > Now I've decided to get back into light riding, and have some gear questions
    > since I've been out of the loop for so long.
    >
    > I have a Cinelli XA stem and the Cinelli 64 Bars. I see now most bikes come
    > with the threadless headstock and fixed stem post. Is there an advantage to
    > getting an adapter so that I could buy a different stem and bars? Or will my
    > XA stem last another 10 years?
    >
    > I wanna keep it at 8 speeds, but since my '94 rear record derailleur has a
    > crack at the mounting bolt, I have to buy either an old 9-speed, or newer 10
    > speed derailleur (not gonna spend $240 for a brand new 10-speed carbon
    > Record job at this point). My chain is a Campy C-9, so can I buy a used
    > 10-speed and swap to the 9-speed pulleys--and still use my Ergo 8-speed
    > shifters?
    >
    > Finally, I assume my barely used Torelli PGV tires will have to go, even
    > though they weren't really used for 6 years??

    Yes, yes, yes, why?, why?
    There are simple inexpensive adapters which allow use of AH
    type stems, those stems come in all the same angles and
    lengths as quill stems, modern quill stems are made with or
    without face plates ( AH stems come both ways too). And
    there's wider selection in bars too - wide, narrow, curved,
    truncated curves, silver, black, etc

    So, if your bike doesn't fit well, by all means change your
    bar, your stem, or better yet, both. But since you can get
    every size shape and feature in a quill stem, I don't see
    any advantage of more weight and expense of buying the
    adapter _and _ a stem.

    Derailleurs don't care how many cogs you have. Since 8 is
    poorly supported, choose any current Campagnolo rear
    changer. I have not seen a case of incompatibility but
    theoretically pre-2000 derailleurs have a slightly different
    geometry than current. For best performance, adjust the
    limits and then set your cable tension in a middle gear so
    any variance is spread between high and low. I have not seen
    any cage width issues but in theory ten rollers are skinnier
    than eight. Your 8 rollers will fit in a new changer if you
    feel they are necessary. Finally, 8 chain with snaplinks is
    plentiful and cheaper than your nine chain without snaplink.
    8 chain will shift better, last longer, cost less and
    changing your chain more often will extend cassette tooth life.

    Modern tires are mostly nylon which doesn't rot so unless
    your 6 year old tire is cut or bruised it's useful.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org