50 Conditions That Mimic "ADHD"

Depending on what I do, I make more over the summer than I do during the
school year. Last year, I couldn't take an additional job during the
summer so this year I'm taking a part-time after-school job.
The part-time job is with a different agency, but pays the same amount
as my teaching job. I'm a tutor for students who are homebound.

Magi

Bob LeChevalier wrote:
> They cannot likely supplement their income at the hourly equivalent of
> their salary.

"Magi D. Shepley" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Not for a new patient. This isn't the first time this has happened,
> either. It happened in my last state too: I picked a doctor, but when I
> called, she only saw new patients 3 times per month, and didn't have any
> appointments for 2 weeks. The fact that I had no voice, and a fever of
> 100 didn't make any difference. I was told to go to the ER. Which I'm
> not wiling to do, as that isn't covered by my insurance and is just flat
> out silly.
>
> Magi

You might want to look into an insurance that covers ER visits. We have
military Tricare, it seems to pay more and faster on emergency visits for my
daughters accidents than any of the other services. As I am one of those
impatient people, who like to have medical issues address as soon as
possible vs. an assigned appointment ... ER is fine with me. I just bring a
good book, something for the girls to do while waiting and snacks to nibble
on. ER doctors have always be quite kind and helpful and will set up any
followup needed in a timely manner.

Leah aka

I work 11 months a year, but I'm not eligible to earn leave. I do earn
sick leave (3 hours per month). I can't use the sick leave before I
earn it, and if I don't have enough sick leave, I don't get paid.
If I don't work, I don't get paid.
In some cases, if I do thing that go "above and beyond", like the day I
stood in the rain for 12 hours to assist with a student activity on a
Saturday, I am given comp time. If I have perfect attendance for a
whole semester, I get 4 hours of comp time (of course, if you earn the
comp time, you have to use it in the quarter it was given, so you can't
really ever get perfect attendance if you earn comp time and you use
it!). Comp time is given at the discretion of the administration: I do
NOT get it when I go to required trainings. IE, I must go to CPR
training and it goes 90 minutes past my usual work stop time. I won't
be paid for that, and I won't get comp time for it. I also won't get it
when I work on Saturday because I'm going to a reading conference, or
when I attend required training for the community service club that I
sponsor.
I am paid for the 216 days I work. If I don't work because of a snow
day, I make up that time at the end of the year and I'm not paid extra
for that because I was already paid for that day.

MAgi

Nessa wrote:
> we are both paid based on hourly work. the difference is the BENEFITS. I
> earn leave he does not.
>
> Nessa

There's a huge difference in going to the ER for an accident or a
serious problem versus going to the ER for laryngitis and a fever of
100. One is the purpose of the ER; the other is silly. The ER isn't a
doctor's office and shouldn't be used as such. Its for EMERGENCIES.
When its used as the doctor's office (as is the case in the inner city
where I live and teach) true emergencies can't be seen in a timely fashion.

Magi

DeChiera wrote:
> "Magi D. Shepley" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>
>>Not for a new patient. This isn't the first time this has happened,
>>either. It happened in my last state too: I picked a doctor, but when I
>>called, she only saw new patients 3 times per month, and didn't have any
>>appointments for 2 weeks. The fact that I had no voice, and a fever of
>>100 didn't make any difference. I was told to go to the ER. Which I'm
>>not wiling to do, as that isn't covered by my insurance and is just flat
>>out silly.
>>
>>Magi

> You might want to look into an insurance that covers ER visits. We have
> military Tricare, it seems to pay more and faster on emergency visits for my
> daughters accidents than any of the other services. As I am one of those
> impatient people, who like to have medical issues address as soon as
> possible vs. an assigned appointment ... ER is fine with me. I just bring a
> good book, something for the girls to do while waiting and snacks to nibble
> on. ER doctors have always be quite kind and helpful and will set up any
> followup needed in a timely manner.
>
> Leah aka

"Magi D. Shepley" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Not for a new patient [that the wait is typically 9 days].
> This isn't the first time this has happened,
> either. It happened in my last state too: I picked a doctor, but when I
> called, she only saw new patients 3 times per month, and didn't have any
> appointments for 2 weeks. The fact that I had no voice, and a fever of
> 100 didn't make any difference. I was told to go to the ER. Which I'm
> not wiling to do, as that isn't covered by my insurance and is just flat
> out silly.

I agree that it would not have been appropriate to go to the ER (and so
agree with the insurer not paying for it). However, three months for a new
patient, while certainly not unheard of, is also not the norm. I also don't
think it is good practice and would say that the doc in question probably
should just close to new patients until (s)he can better serve the current
ones (since you know they also have quite a bit of a wait). It is reasonable
to expect to be seen expediently so if the insurer does not want to pay for
ER visits (or urgent care?) then it would be reasonable for you to ask them
for help indentifying where you might obtain the care you are paying for.

Most practice management experts say that the current standard should be to
try to get sick patients seen within a day or two (same day or next) and
there are a number of scheduling schemes to help do this. The biggest
barrier is that many docs, through years of poor mangement, have accrued a
backlog that they would have to work through in order to catch up and
implement them. FWIW my office offers to see all sick patients the same day
provided they are not calling too close to closing (in which case they can
be seen the next day).

Another hurdle, which I suspect is operative in your case, is that docs
never really fully embraced the implications (as far as their
responsibilities) of HMO's. With fee for service patients it is clear who is
and is not your patient. If you have seen them they are and if not there has
never been any relationship. In captitated HMO's the doc is paid a set fee
every month for being your doc whether he sees you or not. One upshot to
this is that one way to make capitation profitable is to limit their access
(another, the desired one, is to provide good care). In this case, however,
the distinction between an established patient and not is artifical since
(s)he has been collecting money for some time for being your doc. It is a
bit disengenuous of him/her to collect all that money and then suddenly
claim to not be your doctor when you actually ask to be seen.

If this is the case one approach that might work (has in the past) would be
to contact the insurance company and explain that despite collecting your
capitation the doc is now claiming no relationship and giving you less
access than his other patients (which when you word it that way is hard to
not view as wrong). Suggest that if he will not see you that you switch docs
to one who will have have all previous payments retroactively switched to
the new party. That would probably get the attention of both the old doc and
the new one. Not all insurers will do this but I have seen some do it in
the past. Keep in mind that the insurance company is in the busienss of
keeping you happy (within a certain cost limit) and does not care which doc
you see or who they send the check to (within their panel, of course).

--
CBI, MD

"Magi D. Shepley" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> CBI wrote:
> > "Magi D. Shepley" <[email protected]> wrote

in
> > message news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>As a doctor, you also get paid a hell of a lot more than I do.

> > How is that relevant to whether you call spring break a paid vacation or
> > not?

> Its very relevant. Doctors really DO get paid vacations.

Huh? I get no baseline salary and am completely paid on productivity. If I
take a day off I am paid nothing. THAT is not getting a paid vacation.

> I'm not
> saying they don't work hard... or that they have better schedules than
> teachers, because I know they don't. But there is a huge difference
> that is made up by more money!

Whether one salary or another is more worth it does not change whether the
vacation is paid for or not. You take a week off for spring break and the
next paycheck is the exact same. If I do my next check is smaller.

--
CBI

"Magi D. Shepley" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Yes, because we're paid for X number of days, and when you add days to
> the contract, we're not paid for them!
>
> Magi

In addition, when extended contract time is allowed, the pay rate is often
quite low. My school does extended day classes and extended school year
classes. 4 weeks of extended school year, 4 hours a day earns a teacher,
regardless of experience, a whopping $1000. Extended school day pays $15/hr,
for up to 6 hours a week.

In comparison, Sylvan learning centers pays $22.50 for their supplementary
services program held in the school after hours.

> CBI wrote:
> > "Joni Rathbun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:p[email protected]...
> >
> >>Ever noticed what happens when a district tries to add days to a
> >>teacher's work year?

> > Yeah, the teachers object.

"Magi D. Shepley" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> CBI wrote:
> > "Magi D. Shepley" <[email protected]> wrote

in
> > message news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>But I work more than 8 hours a day. I'm only PAID for 7.5 of the hours
> >>I work though.

> > If that is how your contract is worded then that is a legitimate gripe.

My
> > impression is that mosyt teacher's contracts are not worded to include

how
> > many hours they are to work (there may be a clause about minimum times

to be
> > on campus but not how many hours to work).

> My contract says that I must be on campus from 7:30 to 3:30, M-F. I'm
> actually on campus from 6:30 to 4:00. I wouldn't have to take as much
> work home if I had the software I use to create some materials on my
> computers at school, but I don't.

> > is

> >>Uhm, yea... but the norm is also that people have flexibility in that
> >>time. They don't need to BEG for time off to take care of an emergency.

> > That is also not at all uncommon. I hear that complaint all the time.

> Funny. I've worked retail, food service, fast-food, engineering, temp,
> and journalism. I've NEVER had to beg off for an emergency AND had to
> arrange coverage for my position.

Teaching is the only profession I know of where you can be held responsible
for what happens when you're not there.

> Magi

"Joni Rathbun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> > The school schedule, as it exists, is
> > antiquated. Students need to spend more time in school. With all the
> > hootin and hollerin that takes place about excellence in education, no

move
> > has been made to extend the school year. How come?
> > ~Cate

> It certainly couldn't be money. This is the richest nation in the world.

Unfortunately, it is. Everyone sees education as something that benefits
someone else. The rich send their kids to private schools while the poor
don't think the kids are benefiting ("When am I ever going to use this?).
What the rich (or anyone really) don't appreciate is how much they benefit
from an educated population (both in terms of workers and consumers).

Read "Wealth and the Commonwealth" by William Gates (Sr. not the Microsoft
guy). The subject is ostensibly about the inheritance tax but much of the
discussion is about how the rich benefit from general society and so have
debt to it.

--
CBI

"Joni Rathbun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> BTW, my previous contract was very much the same. It spelled out
> how long each contracted day was to the hour and the minute.

Then you should work it and not complain or take it up with the employer if
he asks for more. If it is spelled out there should be no issue.

--
CBI

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> For those who reject that argument (on whatever grounds), I offer the
> following which I consider conclusive: There have been occasions when
> I and my colleagues HAVE worked during a vacation or holiday period.
> We were ALWAYS paid a per diem for that work. Therefore, CLEARLY, the
> district does not consider vacation or holidays as being "paid".
> Since THEY are the employer, and since THEY have a vested interest in
> considering these as "paid vacations" and DO NOT, then CLEARLY they
> ARE NOT "paid vacations".
>
> In the face of both arguments, anyone claiming we have "paid
> vacations" is either illogical, unable to read, or purposefully dense.

Way to keep an open mind. Whatever, if you are going to declare that anyone
who dares disagree with you must have something wrong with them then there
is no point. it is one thing to have a firm opinion. Maintaining that it is
impossible for you to be wrong is a different matter (and there is a word
for it).

The sad part is that you don't see the obvious flaw in the logic above.

--
CBI

"Joni Rathbun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> If I worked those "holiday breaks" (officially) my salary would be
> approximately $5000 more than it is per year.

So if you don't work the holiday your check is the same but if you do it is
larger than normal. And you don't think this means it is a paid vacation
day?

--
CBI

"CBI" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Joni Rathbun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> >
> > If I worked those "holiday breaks" (officially) my salary would be
> > approximately $5000 more than it is per year.

> So if you don't work the holiday your check is the same but if you do it

is
> larger than normal. And you don't think this means it is a paid vacation
> day?

Well...yeah.....duh. If I *don't* work it I *don't* get money for
it--so I'm *not* paid. If I DO work it, I DO get money for it-- so I
AM paid. So, if I don't get money for it, it's not a paid vacation day!

"Donna Metler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Teaching is the only profession I know of where you can be held

responsible
> for what happens when you're not there.

What?

Medicine (including nursing and pharmacy)
Law
Engineering
Accounting

What profession can't be?

--
CBI

"CBI" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > For those who reject that argument (on whatever grounds), I offer the
> > following which I consider conclusive: There have been occasions when
> > I and my colleagues HAVE worked during a vacation or holiday period.
> > We were ALWAYS paid a per diem for that work. Therefore, CLEARLY, the
> > district does not consider vacation or holidays as being "paid".
> > Since THEY are the employer, and since THEY have a vested interest in
> > considering these as "paid vacations" and DO NOT, then CLEARLY they
> > ARE NOT "paid vacations".
> >
> > In the face of both arguments, anyone claiming we have "paid
> > vacations" is either illogical, unable to read, or purposefully dense.

> Way to keep an open mind. Whatever, if you are going to declare that

anyone
> who dares disagree with you must have something wrong with them then there
> is no point. it is one thing to have a firm opinion. Maintaining that it

is
> impossible for you to be wrong is a different matter (and there is a word
> for it).
>
> The sad part is that you don't see the obvious flaw in the logic above.

I missed the obvious flaw, too. Why don't you explain it to us.

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 02:22:04 GMT, "CBI" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"toto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 01:44:55 GMT, "CBI" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >If you are int he US (which it doesn;t sound like you are) you should

>change
>> >docs.

>> Oh, she is in the US all right, CBI.
>>
>> How is she to find a new doc who is any better than the ones she
>> tried? Especially since she is probably limited by whatever health
>> insurance the district does give her. Not every doctor takes the
>> insurance and many people are limited to particular HMOs nowadays.

>The average "next appointment time" in the US is 9 days. Having to wait 6
>mos is pretty crappy. Sounds like something that needs to be renegotiated.

My docs here cannot get anyone in for a checkup unless you schedule
about 3 months in advance, though they do get us in for emergencies
in a day or two. Many docs, though, tell people to go to the ER for
emergencies.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 19:36:01 -0700, Joni Rathbun
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> >Most teacher contracts are based on a per diem rate.

>> As are most every other contracts. What's your point?

>I never had a contract in the private sector set up like my
>teaching contracts. My last salaried position allowed my employer
>to call on me at will.

So did my contracts with IBM and my husband's contracts
and my son's contract currently.

The problem is that teachers are treated only partly as salaried
professionals and partly as hourly labor in both the contracts
and the way administrators see them.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003, CBI wrote:

> "Joni Rathbun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> >
> > If I worked those "holiday breaks" (officially) my salary would be
> > approximately $5000 more than it is per year.

> So if you don't work the holiday your check is the same but if you do it is
> larger than normal. And you don't think this means it is a paid vacation
> day?

You have Saturday off this week. If you work Saturday, your employer will
pay you more money. If you don't work Saturday, you will receive your
regular pay. And you think that means you are paid to work Saturday?

"CBI" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Joni Rathbun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> >
> > BTW, my previous contract was very much the same. It spelled out
> > how long each contracted day was to the hour and the minute.
> >

> Then you should work it and not complain or take it up with the employer

if
> he asks for more. If it is spelled out there should be no issue.

As the beloved Ronnie Reagan used to say "There you go again." We're not
complaining, we're educating. You made a false statement, we corrected it.

Cate

--
"Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
Benjamin Franklin