50!

I know the feeling!

Once, a few years back, I was at the top of San Francisquito Pass Rd. (North-west of El-Lay). A 15%
grade, smooth pavement, almost perfectly straight, no driveways or cross streets, and a 20MPH
tailwind!!

At the bottom I looked at my Comp', and it showed me a max speed of
62.3, (100KPH for you Europeans)! Not bad for a old Schwinn touring bike!

From that day forth I have called that particular grade "Mile-A-Minute hill"...

David storm wrote:

"Could have gone faster but a darned Porsche was in my way.."

How many Cyclists can say that? LOL!!

You went 70 doun a hill at NIGHT?! And people calle me brave/insane!!

No, I didn't go 70 mph at night. I said I have heard that tandem racers do it. I'm still a little
sane and want a few more years on this planet.

"Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> David storm wrote:
>
> "Could have gone faster but a darned Porsche was in my way.."
>
> How many Cyclists can say that? LOL!!
>
> You went 70 doun a hill at NIGHT?! And people calle me brave/insane!!
>
> May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris
>
> Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

[email protected] (Claire Petersky) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> For the first time on the commute into work this morning -- I had a personal best of the top speed
> of 50+ mph coming down Kamber Road.
>>
> Claire Petersky ([email protected])

Congrats on the road bike boogie.. Anything over 40 is flying. My last time at 50+ was a downhill on
the mid Tennesee Century in '99. I hit 52 and the locals said that over 55 was possible.

I remember just tucking in, praying,looking at the computer,and going sh**, sh** a whole bunch.

islandtime

[email protected] (Claire Petersky) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> For the first time on the commute into work this morning -- I had a personal best of the top speed
> of 50+ mph coming down Kamber Road.

Happy 50, Claire!!! Wow! I don't have many hills like that, so I haven't felt that rush, yet.
Plus, with the tank I ride, the fastest I've gone (peddaling downhill at full speed, in highest
gear), is 36mph!

We do have a considerable hill near my house. Some day I'll have to brave it, and go full speed down
it! Problem is (and the only reason I haven't "braved it"), once I hit bottom, the hill back up is
exactly as steep and as long! Yuck!

Glad to see that some people don't lose their courage! Congrats!

--
Smile!!

__O _-\ <,_ Eric Babula (_) / (_) Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

We all know that 50 is off the chart fast for most bicyclists, but that is a routine speed in a car
to say the least. 50 on a bike *feels* so much faster than 50 in a car due to the wind resistance
pressure, wind buffeting, noise, rush of the ground going by, relative instability of the bike
compared to a 4 wheel car, etc. Any other?

I think perceived speed on a bike is at least twice that of in a car. 25 on a bike is like 50 in a
car perceptually. Or is it even more, perhaps an exponential relationship. Air resistance is
exponential.

Opinions?

Wayne

In article <[email protected]>, Wayne Pein <[email protected]> writes:
> We all know that 50 is off the chart fast for most bicyclists, but that is a routine speed in a
> car to say the least. 50 on a bike *feels* so much faster than 50 in a car due to the wind
> resistance pressure, wind buffeting, noise, rush of the ground going by, relative instability of
> the bike compared to a 4 wheel car, etc. Any other?
>
> I think perceived speed on a bike is at least twice that of in a car. 25 on a bike is like 50 in a
> car perceptually. Or is it even more, perhaps an exponential relationship. Air resistance is
> exponential.
>
> Opinions?

I haven't hit 50 mph yet; just 38.something (which I think is doing pretty good, considering my ride
and how it's accessorized). But I consider a couple of things:

1) there are times when everything goes so right. Like when a hitter just *knows* he's gonna
moon-rocket that baseball right outa the park, and then he does. At those times, everything
just clicks, without thinking about air resistance, or any other self-second-guessing
factors. At those times, the rest of the world seems to stand still, and time itself seems to
stop for a moment.

2) really, truly *speeding* in a car doesn't really seem so fast -- until you've gotta stop, or
carve a turn, or get a blowout. Maybe it can be the same on a bike.

So, I think there can well be times & places where doing 50 on a bike can just feel ... natural, and
without any freak-out factors.

And, conversely, other situations where it might be downright scary :)

cheers, Tom