5000 Mile Road Tires

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bretcahill, Nov 14, 2003.

  1. Bretcahill

    Bretcahill Guest

    Has anyone ever managed to get over 3,000 miles out of a performance tire?

    Bret Cahill

    Tags:

  2. Andrew Price

    Andrew Price Guest

    "BretCahill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone ever managed to get over 3,000 miles out of a performance tire?

    Possible on the front wheel with a light rider.

    Doubt any of them will last on the rear carrying 90kg +

    best Andrew (tried Michelin Axial Pro, Continental 3000, Hutchison and Vittoria Open Corsa)

  3. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    I'm at about 2600 miles on the rear using a Pariba Evo Pro from Performance. Excellent ride quality,
    just like the parent company Vredestein's. I expect no problem hitting 3000 but that will be getting
    close to the end. The front is still like new.

    FWIW, I wipe my tires down with Armorall at least once a week, a trick I learned from a bicycle shop
    manager in New Orleans.

    "Andrew Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "BretCahill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Has anyone ever managed to get over 3,000 miles out of a performance
    tire?

    > Possible on the front wheel with a light rider.
    >
    > Doubt any of them will last on the rear carrying 90kg +
    >
    > best Andrew (tried Michelin Axial Pro, Continental 3000, Hutchison and Vittoria Open Corsa)

  4. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    I should add two things:

    1. I refuse to spend more than $20 for road tires and simply wait for items to be cleared by
    mail order firms. The Paribas cost from $17 to $20 via Performance. They were originally
    aroud $35 each.

    2. These were not the same as the lot of defective Paribas that some guy was hawking over at
    r.b.marketplace a couple of years ago.

    There are losts of great tires out there to be had for far less than Vittoria and alike. You may be
    surprised at how they compare to the top$$ rip offs. My opinion, of course.

    news:[email protected]et...
    > I'm at about 2600 miles on the rear using a Pariba Evo Pro from
    Performance.
    > Excellent ride quality, just like the parent company Vredestein's. I
    expect
    > no problem hitting 3000 but that will be getting close to the end. The front is still like new.
    >
    > FWIW, I wipe my tires down with Armorall at least once a week, a trick I learned from a bicycle
    > shop manager in New Orleans.
    >

    > "Andrew Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "BretCahill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Has anyone ever managed to get over 3,000 miles out of a performance
    > tire?
    > > >
    > > Possible on the front wheel with a light rider.
    > >
    > > Doubt any of them will last on the rear carrying 90kg +
    > >
    > > best Andrew (tried Michelin Axial Pro, Continental 3000, Hutchison and Vittoria Open Corsa)

  5. Fox

    Fox Guest

    What is the benefit of using Armorall ? Does it not leave the tires "greasy" ?

    > I'm at about 2600 miles on the rear using a Pariba Evo Pro from
    Performance.
    > Excellent ride quality, just like the parent company Vredestein's. I
    expect
    > no problem hitting 3000 but that will be getting close to the end. The front is still like new.
    >
    > FWIW, I wipe my tires down with Armorall at least once a week, a trick I learned from a bicycle
    > shop manager in New Orleans.
    >

    > "Andrew Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "BretCahill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Has anyone ever managed to get over 3,000 miles out of a performance
    > tire?
    > > >
    > > Possible on the front wheel with a light rider.
    > >
    > > Doubt any of them will last on the rear carrying 90kg +
    > >
    > > best Andrew (tried Michelin Axial Pro, Continental 3000, Hutchison and Vittoria Open Corsa)

  6. Ross

    Ross Guest

    I've got 4100 miles on my rear Conti GP 3000...the middle is worn and looking pretty flat but so far
    it's holding out pretty well. While most people don't like spending over $20 for a tire I'm of the
    opinion that you get what you pay for and I've always been pleased with Continentals!

    Ross "Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > What is the benefit of using Armorall ? Does it not leave the tires
    "greasy"
    > ?

    > > I'm at about 2600 miles on the rear using a Pariba Evo Pro from
    > Performance.
    > > Excellent ride quality, just like the parent company Vredestein's. I
    > expect
    > > no problem hitting 3000 but that will be getting close to the end. The front is still like new.
    > >
    > > FWIW, I wipe my tires down with Armorall at least once a week, a trick I learned from a bicycle
    > > shop manager in New Orleans.
    > >

    > > "Andrew Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > "BretCahill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    > > tire?
    > > > >
    > > > Possible on the front wheel with a light rider.
    > > >
    > > > Doubt any of them will last on the rear carrying 90kg +
    > > >
    > > > best Andrew (tried Michelin Axial Pro, Continental 3000, Hutchison and Vittoria Open Corsa)

  7. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > What is the benefit of using Armorall ? Does it not leave the tires
    "greasy"
    > ?

    I cleans the tread and sidewall with ease. The theory of using it, especially in New Orleans, was
    that it helped prevent uv breakdown of the tire, especially the sidewall. It comes off the tread
    within a couple of revolutions of the tire. I've never encountered a slippage problem in 5 years of
    using it this way. And my tires always look brand new.

  8. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Ross" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've got 4100 miles on my rear Conti GP 3000...the middle is worn and looking pretty flat but so
    > far it's holding out pretty well. While most people don't like spending over $20 for a tire I'm of
    > the opinion that you get what you pay for and I've always been pleased with Continentals!

    I've got a pair of Ultra 2000s on one set of wheels and I do love the way Conti tires roll. IMO,
    they ride a bit on the harsh side. Unfortunately, you won't see Conti tires on clearance for some
    reason---restraint of trade perhaps? My point is that if you wait, you can get $35 to $40+ tires on
    sale for far less than the original sale price. I've now got enough Paribs to last a few years.

  9. On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 04:52:10 +0000, BretCahill wrote:

    > Has anyone ever managed to get over 3,000 miles out of a performance
    tire?

    I usually get about 4000 with Avocet fasgrips.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Deserves death! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve _`\(,_ | death. And some that die
    deserve life. Can you give it to (_)/ (_) | them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in
    judgement. -- J. R. R. Tolkien

  10. Demicco

    Demicco Guest

    B. Lafferty wrote:
    > FWIW, I wipe my tires down with Armorall at least once a week, a trick I learned from a bicycle
    > shop manager in New Orleans.

    The tread? No way would I do that, as it makes the rubber slick and you risk a crash. Anyway,
    Armorall might keep the rubber from cracking, but I can't see how it would make it wear longer.

  11. "B. Lafferty" wrote:
    > I refuse to spend more than $20 for road tires and simply wait for items to be cleared by
    > mail order firms. The Paribas cost from $17 to $20 via Performance. They were originally
    > aroud $35 each.

    I just checked and they're "on sale" three for $80 and only available in 700 x 21. Do they come in
    wider sizes?

    Art Harris

  12. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "demicco" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > B. Lafferty wrote:
    > > FWIW, I wipe my tires down with Armorall at least once a week, a trick I learned from a bicycle
    > > shop manager in New Orleans.
    >
    > The tread? No way would I do that, as it makes the rubber slick and you risk a crash. Anyway,
    > Armorall might keep the rubber from cracking, but I can't see how it would make it wear longer.

    No slickness problem encountered, ever. I never said it made the tread last longer. It does make the
    tire look nice and new right till the tread wears through to the cord. As to sidewall protection,
    the mfg claims that it blocks uv rays. Can't hurt to use it and again, FWIW, it make the tires look
    new all the time.

  13. Marathon

    Marathon Guest

    only 1400 miles on Vittoria rear, I am 175 lb.

    > "Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:%[email protected].rogers.com...
    > > What is the benefit of using Armorall ? Does it not leave the tires
    > "greasy"
    > > ?
    > >

    > I cleans the tread and sidewall with ease. The theory of using it, especially in New Orleans, was
    > that it helped prevent uv breakdown of the tire, especially the sidewall. It comes off the tread
    > within a couple of revolutions of the tire. I've never encountered a slippage problem in 5 years
    > of using it this way. And my tires always look brand new.

  14. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    The 21 is a nominal rating. They are as fat as any 23c Vredestain you'll ever see. "Arthur Harris"

  15. On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, B. Lafferty wrote:

    > "demicco" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > B. Lafferty wrote:
    > > > FWIW, I wipe my tires down with Armorall at least once a week, a trick I learned from a
    > > > bicycle shop manager in New Orleans.
    > >
    > > The tread? No way would I do that, as it makes the rubber slick and you risk a crash. Anyway,
    > > Armorall might keep the rubber from cracking, but I can't see how it would make it wear longer.
    >
    > No slickness problem encountered, ever. I never said it made the tread last longer. It does make
    > the tire look nice and new right till the tread wears through to the cord. As to sidewall
    > protection, the mfg claims that it blocks uv rays. Can't hurt to use it and again, FWIW, it make
    > the tires look new all the time.

    Another, differing, data point, from Sheldon B. back in June:

    From: Sheldon Brown ([email protected]) Subject: Re: aqua planning on 1.5 tyres? Newsgroups:
    rec.bicycles.tech Date: 2003-06-12 10:36:31 PST

    Mark Hickey wrote:

    > Some tires come coated with a protectant that is VERY slick. I discovered this the hard way on the
    > first corner after mounting a new set of tubulars (I hit the ground before I even knew it was
    > coming).

    A friend of mine washed his motorcycle a few years ago, and used Armorall on the tires. Looked
    really great for a few minutes.

    He just barely survived the crash, doesn't use two-wheeled vehicles any more, doesn't walk all that
    well either...

    Sheldon "Shiny Isn't Always Good" Brown

  16. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    Lots of other factors could also have caused that motorcycle accident. I just got in from a nice 35
    mile ride in 39F with 22mph winds. On the way back I went down a 1.6 mile hill as fast as I always
    do (curves at 38 to 42 mph) with no problems. Less weight and torque to a human engine--my guess.

    "trent gregory hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, B. Lafferty wrote:
    >

    > > "demicco" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > The tread? No way would I do that, as it makes the rubber slick and
    you
    > > > risk a crash. Anyway, Armorall might keep the rubber from cracking,
    but
    > > > I can't see how it would make it wear longer.
    > >
    > > No slickness problem encountered, ever. I never said it made the tread
    last
    > > longer. It does make the tire look nice and new right till the tread
    wears
    > > through to the cord. As to sidewall protection, the mfg claims that it blocks uv rays. Can't
    > > hurt to use it and again, FWIW, it make the tires
    look
    > > new all the time.
    > >

    > Another, differing, data point, from Sheldon B. back in June:
    >
    > From: Sheldon Brown ([email protected]) Subject: Re: aqua planning on 1.5 tyres?
    > Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech Date: 2003-06-12 10:36:31 PST
    >
    > Mark Hickey wrote:
    >
    > > Some tires come coated with a protectant that is VERY slick. I discovered this the hard way on
    > > the first corner after mounting a new set of tubulars (I hit the ground before I even knew it
    > > was coming).
    >
    > A friend of mine washed his motorcycle a few years ago, and used Armorall on the tires. Looked
    > really great for a few minutes.
    >
    > He just barely survived the crash, doesn't use two-wheeled vehicles any more, doesn't walk all
    > that well either...
    >
    > Sheldon "Shiny Isn't Always Good" Brown

  17. > The tread? No way would I do that, as it makes the rubber slick and you risk a crash. Anyway,
    > Armorall might keep the rubber from cracking, but I can't see how it would make it wear longer.

    I'm right there with ya. I took a ride on a new MTB tire on the front, rode around on pavement about
    a 1/4 mile, took a corner I usually took fast, and the front just washed right out. I was on flats
    and stabbed a foot down to prevent a crash, but I took it careful from then on due to the mold
    release compound. I suspect Armor-all would cause the same situation easily.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  18. > No slickness problem encountered, ever. I never said it made the tread
    last
    > longer. It does make the tire look nice and new right till the tread
    wears
    > through to the cord. As to sidewall protection, the mfg claims that it blocks uv rays. Can't hurt
    > to use it and again, FWIW, it make the tires
    look
    > new all the time.

    I would have to dispute that one. I often take corners fast and need the traction, not "like-new"
    looks. I would suspect that the armorall definitely doesn't help traction, and it is that fact that
    would prevent me from ever putting that stuff on my tires.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  19. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    [email protected] (BretCahill) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Motor vehicle tires don't dry rot in three months.
    >
    > "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]>
    >
    > . . .
    >
    > >FWIW, I wipe my tires down with Armorall at least once a week, a trick I learned from a bicycle
    > >shop manager in New Orleans.

    Dear Bret,

    What rot! (Sorry, couldn't help it.)

    As Sheldon Brown keeps patiently reminding us, tires don't dry rot at all.

    They can, however, suffer serious damage in a short time if exposed to plenty of direct sunlight and
    ozone. Google for Sheldon and "dry rot" and you'll learn as much as I did.

    Carl Fogel

  20. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >FWIW, I wipe my tires down with Armorall at least once a week, a trick I learned from a bicycle
    >shop manager in New Orleans.

    this sounds like an invitiation to disaster.
    Alex