5000 Mile Road Tires

"Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >FWIW, I wipe my tires down with Armorall at least once a week, a trick I learned from a bicycle
> >shop manager in New Orleans.
>
> this sounds like an invitiation to disaster.
> --------------
> Alex

5+ years and 30,000+ miles without anything resembling a loss of traction. I ride and have ridden
with at least a dozen people who have the same experience.

[email protected] (BretCahill) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Motor vehicle tires don't dry rot in three months.
>
> "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]>
>
> . . .
>
> >FWIW, I wipe my tires down with Armorall at least once a week, a trick I learned from a bicycle
> >shop manager in New Orleans.

Top-Posting coward, when are you going to stop dodging my bet?

Jason

Carl Fogel wrote:

> As Sheldon Brown keeps patiently reminding us, tires don't dry rot at all.
>
> They can, however, suffer serious damage in a short time if exposed to plenty of direct sunlight
> and ozone. Google for Sheldon and "dry rot" and you'll learn as much as I did.

It's received wisdom that tyres should be stored in the dark (possibly on a rim, but I think this
only applies to tubs), or at least in a dim room. From experience I can confirm that the sidewalls
of Conti tyres deteriorate badly if left in a shed with a clear perspex roof. Some slightly *older*
tyres of the same type, kept in the garage, are perfect with no drying or cracking of the sidewalls.

Depends on what you consider "performance tire" you mean those condoms some cyclists put on their
rims? I think they have to change them after every ride. (J/K)

I get about 4000 out of my Profil U's, which were considered "traning/touring tires"

"May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills!"

See you on the road. Chris Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

[email protected] (BretCahill) writes:

> Has anyone ever managed to get over 3,000 miles out of a performance tire?

How do you define "performance tire?" I've gotten three times that many miles from a Continental
Grand Prix 700 x 23- bought in about 1993 and having been on several bikes, currently my commuter.
It shows no sign of being anywhere near wearing out. The matching rear tire is still around also,
but probably has only 4,000 miles on it.

B. Lafferty <[email protected]> wrote:

> No slickness problem encountered, ever. I never said it made the tread last longer. It does make
> the tire look nice and new right till the tread wears through to the cord. As to sidewall
> protection, the mfg claims that it blocks uv rays. Can't hurt to use it and again, FWIW, it make
> the tires look new all the time.

I wouldn't like to have any film thick enough to block UV rays between my tires and the road. On the
sidewalls, maybe it's fine.

From http://www.armorall.com/faq/pages/protectant.html

C: Can I use Armor All Protectant any place besides my car?

D: .... In all, Armor All Protectant can be used on any vinyl, plastic, rubber, sealed wood or
treated leather surface. But remember, while you may love the shine of Armor All Protectant,
avoid using it on surfaces where slipperiness can be a problem, such as floors, steering
wheels, vehicle pedals and grips, bench or cycle seats, cycle tires and brake drums.

Also their "Tire Foam Protectant" page specifically says sidewalls only and do not use on
cycle tires.

BretCahill wrote
> Has anyone ever managed to get over 3,000 miles out of a performance tire?

I got well over that from a rear-wheel Vred Fortezza All Black (NZ rugby special?). Not those
colored ones, the nice black ones that look like tires.

Zero flats either...I replaced it b/c the contact area had worn flat & handling seemed a little
kooky w/that corner on the sidewall.

This was from a "handmade in holland" box and I heard that those might have been made a bit better
than the newer ones - but I have no idea if there's anything to that.

Great tire though, reminds me of sewups. It's all I use anymore.

-Tad

"Benjamin Weiner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:3fbad1b9$1@darkstar...
> B. Lafferty <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > No slickness problem encountered, ever. I never said it made the tread
last
> > longer. It does make the tire look nice and new right till the tread
wears
> > through to the cord. As to sidewall protection, the mfg claims that it blocks uv rays. Can't
> > hurt to use it and again, FWIW, it make the tires
look
> > new all the time.
>
> I wouldn't like to have any film thick enough to block UV rays between my tires and the road. On
> the sidewalls, maybe it's fine.
>
> From http://www.armorall.com/faq/pages/protectant.html
>
> Q: Can I use Armor All Protectant any place besides my car?
>
> A: .... In all, Armor All Protectant can be used on any vinyl, plastic, rubber, sealed wood or
> treated leather surface. But remember, while you may love the shine of Armor All Protectant,
> avoid using it on surfaces where slipperiness can be a problem, such as floors, steering
> wheels, vehicle pedals and grips, bench or cycle seats, cycle tires and brake drums.
>
> Also their "Tire Foam Protectant" page specifically says sidewalls only and do not use on
> cycle tires.

Their lawyers have covered their asses very well. However, I haven't used the Tire Foam on bicycle
tires and that does appear to be quite different from my observation using it on the sidewall of my
car tires. It feels much slicker on the sidewall than the original Armorall.