500m-750m Training

Lasalles

Aug 6, 2003
Does anyone here do specific training for Olympic Sprints to concentrate on the 2nd or 3rd lap??? Do you think its possible to train for these with minimal gym time??? Anyone reccomend indoor sessions that assist in this event??? Thanks...

Originally posted by Lasalles
Does anyone here do specific training for Olympic Sprints to concentrate on the 2nd or 3rd lap??? Do you think its possible to train for these with minimal gym time??? Anyone recommend indoor sessions that assist in this event??? Thanks...

Based on a 250m Olympic velodrome.

The second and third riders are required to complete a 250m sprint on their turn at the front. This is after a standing start (more physically demanding) and being in the high speed draft, hoping front riders ride a steady line, for 250m and 500m respectively which requires some effort in the draft.

It would be obvious that training sprint endurance would be the key to the Olympic sprint. A sprinter during a 200m TT can only hold top speed for about 6 seconds before slowly fading. An Olympic sprinter has to be all out for 250m so it would be paramount to improve the "fade."

Apart from weights in the gym, if you are looking to hypertrophy to improve anaerobic power, I would suggest ergo training with sprinting resistance and cadence - 15 seconds on sprint with 45 seconds off spinning and building reps and sets over (say) 4 weeks until you can do 5 sets x 10 reps.

Gday,ive competed in Oly Sprints before at state champs but i got out of track and saold all my stuff vowing never to return.Its only recently that ive wanted to get back into it as i have a much better endurance now and no gym work.
What i was wondering was that if you were to ride the 2nd or 3rd lap wouldnt you need to do intervals on the trainer of 35-45 seconds???
I never did specific training for any of this before,just went to the gym,did minimal road km's and turned up for racing.

Originally posted by Lasalles
Gday,ive competed in Oly Sprints before at state champs but i got out of track and saold all my stuff vowing never to return.Its only recently that ive wanted to get back into it as i have a much better endurance now and no gym work.
What i was wondering was that if you were to ride the 2nd or 3rd lap wouldnt you need to do intervals on the trainer of 35-45 seconds???
I never did specific training for any of this before,just went to the gym,did minimal road km's and turned up for racing.

If you all start cleanly together (the object), the rider or riders ahead of you ride smooth and straight (so as you are not finding yourself at times in the wind) and you are nearly on the rider's rear tyre maximising draft benefits, there is a reduced effort at speed for those one or two laps.

I would not think any specific training would be required for the 250m or 500m while you are sitting in other than to practice your starts. Your aerobic, alactic, anaerobic, whatever, general conditioning should cover you.

Your maximum anaerobic effort for your turn on the front would be in the vicinity of 15 seconds, depending on the arranged changeover point.

If you want to train yourself at drafting speed, the only suggestion I would make is to go to Dunc Gray velodrome on a training night and get in the congo line behind the derny. The derny will gradually reach speeds higher than an Olympic sprint and you will experience the efforts required.