500m time trial - training/tips/racing/info

Hey Ness,

I was at training last night. Its pretty cool, especially the derny motorpacing. 8)

Were u there???

I didn't see any girls who were slow there ;D

catchya

Jonny

heya.

heheheh..boy am i in trouble..got email from Barrie and all! lol.. i was just stuffed after work, nearly fell asleep driving to engadine from the city, couldnt contemplate driving to bankstown, training and then driving home as well.. Sorry! I will be there next week for sure, barrie has a road bike for me possibly, so can get back into proper training soon!

the three girls that would have been there are all good, they race mtb or road, one of them is an australian triathlete rep so dont worry, you will see slow when you see me..! lol 8)

The current world record was set on altitude in Kunming China and is 34 seconds flat from CHN19730801 YONGHUA Jiang. <br />The most important things are leg speed and pure power. <br />here in belgium whe had a 17 years old who did a .37.20 take in cosideration that we are on sea level and that its a 166meter track. She turn her head to the road an bcame national champion between the pros age 20.<br /><br />Speed is partically genetically based you have a part of fast and slow muscles, only a limited portion can be transferred. It is easier to make slow from fast than fast from slow. Therefor it's important to focus on explosivity. Don't train too much long rides Tournant hase never ridden 200km on a bike on one day and he would be a fool when he did so.<br /><br />One specific bike exercice is to improve speed is give your max at a very small gear(and i mean really small) for about 6-7 seconds(about the time of effort your body can put out without activating any sort of energy delivery system). The key is to get your legs moving very fast(about 180rpm) the speed in km an hour you reach is of no importance. This is one of the key way's too make your muscles fast.<br /><br />Much work will also be done in the fitness room like mentioned before.<br /><br />When you got your training right then go for your gear. If you dont have it jet get yourself a rear disk weel and for de front an aero wheel with aero spokes(preferrably as less as possible) examples Cosmic Carbon and Campa Shamal(super wheels)and an aero helmet. Just the material can make you easily half a second faster and wehen you are talking of about 37-38 seconds you will do this is huge.<br /><br />I also want to rectify smothing somenone menthioned the big difference between your runnig history and a 500meters. Well its quite different from a 100m but has big overlappings with 200m which is over 20seconds and so also over the 6-7 sec point i mentionned before and its not that much of an endurance performance so be carfull with training long distances.<br /><br />I something is unclear please ask I'm not a native English speaker so when its unclearjust ask I'll try to explain my words or look it up.<br />

wow, thanks for all that info, in your opinion, what sort of KM per week on road should i do? and how long and how many track sessions?<br />(i do gym already))<br />ness

I got this information because I had a go on our vets 1km record once(and because I am a cyling freak :) ). I am not qualified to give you training advice'complete scheduals) as I haven't enough knowledge to do so. I have my own's scheduals for the record attempt but they won't be of much use for you as I am a male and my trainig was for the combined event(also Points race and 200meter and partially for local criteriums). <br /><br />I am afraid that for a real schedual you will have to contct a track coach in your area who's able to do the follow up and adapt your schedual to your progress.

I've been doing motorpace training during the off season and have seen big improvements in my leg speed and cardio. I need to work on my leg power, any suggestions?

Brian

Originally posted by Guest
Ok, well after my second session, and having a background in running 100 and 200m sprints and hating endurance events..i am thinking that i would like to concentrate on the 500m time trial.

I woul dlove any info on the event at all, from training ie what you do week to week - from what ive seen the sprinters do 5 or 6 rides of a flat out with long rests in between, gym work um, tips on the actual race and ideas on standing starts..pretty much want to pick everyones brain for info and would love to hear peoples stories, successes and failures!!
thanks 8)

Start of by getting a good base of road training and gradually start lifting intensity. Put in some strength endurance work and hill sprints a couple of times a week combined with a light motor pace program of 500m efforts at max speed. Before each motorpace session work on gettting off the mark and the timing associated with this. If ur just getting in to it there should be no need for gym work. Hope that helped but u should get someone experienced to set u a program.

Originally posted by Guest
Ok, well after my second session, and having a background in running 100 and 200m sprints and hating endurance events..i am thinking that i would like to concentrate on the 500m time trial.

I woul dlove any info on the event at all, from training ie what you do week to week - from what ive seen the sprinters do 5 or 6 rides of a flat out with long rests in between, gym work um, tips on the actual race and ideas on standing starts..pretty much want to pick everyones brain for info and would love to hear peoples stories, successes and failures!!
thanks 8)

More between a 200m and 400m track event. You will be fading towards the end.

Practice starts (on your road bike) in a big gear to build power. Then, after a few weeks, go to a smaller than your track gear and continue practising. Then use your normal track gear.

All starts should be practised from a stationary position. Not a very slow rolling position or a sudden stop (this stores energy). You have to replicate the track start so training should be 100% specific. Preferable to have a holder in training. Those first few revolutions should be maximum downforce power and smooth. Smoothness of applying power is a key element to success in this event.

Leg speed has been covered at length in other posts.

You need aerobic endurance and anaerobic endurance with the emphasis on the latter.

Sets of sprint endurance drills are helpful. Coming off the banking do 10 seconds on and during 50 seconds recovery return to the top of the banking and repeat. You will find your endurance improving when you can add to reps then add to sets. You may find youself starting at 3x5 and , with time, capable of 5x10.

Work on your top end speed with maximal recovery between efforts.

Anyone willing to share tips on 500m/tt training again. I find little beyond doing high quality work, 4-6 200m-700 repeats at max with 12-15 minute rest.