50cm too large for female?

KayT

Dec 6, 2006
I am buying a bike (most likely either a Motobecan or Windsor) online, and the smallest size is usually 50cm. On the site they say that this usually fits someone who is 5'1" (which I am) - 5'4". Are they gearing this towards men? I hear that sometimes the bike may be too big for a woman because of the reach for the arms. Can anyone help me out?:confused::)

Hmmmm, bike fit depends on a lot of factors besides just seat tube length, which is what the "size" of a bike is generally based on. You really need to look over the total geometry of the bicycle, including stand over and top tube length especially to see what size of bicycle will fit you.

I would suspect at 5'1" a 50 would pretty much always be too large for you. I am 5'0 and my bikes are a 44cm with 700c wheels, and a 47cm with 650c wheels. I am short torso'd and armed so I need a smaller size frame than all people of my size, but a 50cm would be seriously large. I'm not ever sure I could stand over a 50 and I have around a 29" inseam - which is pretty long for a shorty like myself.

Don't go with this bike just because it is cheap - if you buy a bike that is too large for yourself you will be uncomfortable, slow, have trouble climbing hills and you'll end up not liking the sport. I would encourage you to go to a local bike shop, get fit and work with them to find a bike that is in your budget.

KayT said:
I am buying a bike (most likely either a Motobecan or Windsor) online, and the smallest size is usually 50cm. On the site they say that this usually fits someone who is 5'1" (which I am) - 5'4". Are they gearing this towards men? I hear that sometimes the bike may be too big for a woman because of the reach for the arms. Can anyone help me out?:confused::)

I am 5' and my road bike is 47cm across the top. The way it is set up suits me, but I could have done with it being slightly smaller. It has 650 c wheels which is ideal. Be very careful, I sat on a bike tonight which is marginally bigger and the standover was too high for me! I could ride it but at what cost? Do not believe everything that you read on web pages they are often wrong! Most bike manufacturers are making top tubes too long! See if you can find someone who does proper bike fits in your area and ask their advice. Better to spend a little on advice than waste your money buying the wrong bike. Once you are armed with correct fitting information, you will be informed concerning what sort of bike to look for.