51mm valve with 46mm rim??

jojoma

Sep 7, 2007
Hi,

Will this valve length work without a valve extender?? I normally use 60mm valves. I have trouble with extenders and would prefer not to use one.

Thanks a lot

How far does a 60mm valve extend beyond the rim? Then subtract 9mm.

I've never measured it myself (usually been able to tell by eye). In fact I've never been sure what part of the valve is supposed to correspond to the measurement. Is it just the length of stem up to the valve (many valves are still removable), or the length to the end of the valve body, or the length to the tip of the plunger?

Hi jojoma, I think that all you need to do is with your 60mm valve on the rim, subtract 9mm from it and see if you think there is enough length left between your rim and pump head (whatever it is called).

Another approach is to connect your pump to your 60mm valve and measure the distance between the rim and the pump head. If it is more than about 12mm then a 51mm valve is probably ok :)

Originally Posted by KLabs . Another approach is to connect your pump to your 60mm valve and measure the distance between the rim and the pump head. If it is more than about 12mm then a 51mm valve is probably ok :)
Very good idea! I have only about 5-6mm of valve showing when I do this. Looks like I'll be sticking with the 60mm.