52-34 compact setup-What do you think.

Bruce L

Dec 31, 2003
I've read alot about 50/34 and even 52/36 setups. Does anyone have any experience or opinions about 52/34. Are there any advantages, disadvantages and can 8T jump work?????

Bruce L said:
I've read alot about 50/34 and even 52/36 setups. Does anyone have any experience or opinions about 52/34. Are there any advantages, disadvantages and can 8T jump work?????
You could always give it a try.

Biggest problem with that set-up is the huge 52.9 % gear change with a chainring upshift. It won't shift well underload without some downshifts on the casette.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

As far as chainrub goes? I have no idea.

Bruce L said:

You didn't note what group you're using, but Shimano FDs are only spec'd for 15, though a lot of folks seem to run them fine with the 16 delta of a 50/34. Going all the way to 18 might be a stretch. Interloc Racing makes a FD just for Shimano compact setups, but it's only spec'd for 16. Not sure about Campy but you might have more luck there since they actually offer compact cranks.

ST

Bruce L said:
Barbies math says it's a 18 tooth difference.I don't see the point. As someone else pointed out the shift between the big and small is MAJOR. Some think the 34/50 difference is a PITA.

I dont see why it wouldn't "work", the question is whether it would be worth doing. If you need this wide a range of gears it is probably worth going for a triple. Your main problem would be deraileurs. You may have difficulty getting both front and rear to co-operate with that wide a range on the front. Solutions for this would be either compact specific (or triple) front deraileur and a longer cage on the rear to pull up some of the excess chain tension. If you don't want to do this then you could just put the compact on and not use the extreme gears like 34x12 and 52x23.

BTW why do u want this wide a range of gearing?

Why are people saying go to a compact specific front derailleur? Those are meant for 50T rings.

This whole idea that shimano double front derailleurs can't handle anything more than 15T is baloney. I got mine to handle 17T with no issues. I have since removed that combo becasue I didn't like the big % change between gears.

53-11 said:
This whole idea that shimano double front derailleurs can't handle anything more than 15T is baloney. I got mine to handle 17T with no issues. I have since removed that combo becasue I didn't like the big % change between gears.
It's just regurgitation,and the clowns doing it are probably still on training wheels.