52/39 & 13/26...Does that sound about right for me?

mansize-rooster

Oct 28, 2007
Hi,
I am new to road biking and have recently bought a bike from a friend. It is a Peugeot road bike with Campagnolo Veloce 9 Speed components (52/42 front, 12/23 back), he originally bought in 2001 so is a little dated now.

However I believe this to be too highly geared for me as really struggle to keep the bike moving on even moderately difficult climbs so am looking to change to a 52/39 front and 13/26 back.

1.Will this give me the extra range I want as I intend to ride it in the Peak District/Lake Distict in the UK (hilly areas!)?

2. Do I have to replace Campagnolo Veloce with Campagnolo Veloce or can it be any other Campagnolo chaninrings/cassettes?

3. Any suggestions as to which cassette/chainrings i should purcahse (limited budget) in the UK?

Any advice welcome. Thanks

mansize-rooster said:
Hi,
I am new to road biking and have recently bought a bike from a friend. It is a Peugeot road bike with Campagnolo Veloce 9 Speed components (52/42 front, 12/23 back), he originally bought in 2001 so is a little dated now.

However I believe this to be too highly geared for me as really struggle to keep the bike moving on even moderately difficult climbs so am looking to change to a 52/39 front and 13/26 back.

1.Will this give me the extra range I want as I intend to ride it in the Peak District/Lake Distict in the UK (hilly areas!)?

2. Do I have to replace Campagnolo Veloce with Campagnolo Veloce or can it be any other Campagnolo chaninrings/cassettes?

3. Any suggestions as to which cassette/chainrings i should purcahse (limited budget) in the UK?

Thought this might help as far as gear ratios.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

The Lake District is quite hilly I believe.

Unless you are in pretty good shape, you might want to go with a compact crank - this will give you more range for the hills. Will also cost a little more, but since you are going to change the front chainrings anyway.....

Does Campy do a cassette with 27T or 28T low gear? If so, I'd go for that. The compact crankset suggestion has some merit, also.

Campy manufacture a 13/29 for 10 speed, but not sure if its available for 9 speed. I wish Shimano would do a 13/29 as well....

Campy offers a 13-28 Veloce cassette that might be better for you. It's cheaper than switching to a compact crankset. If you do want to switch to a compact crank, that will give you even more low-gearing options.

Also, you don't have to use a Veloce cassette. Any other Campy 9-spd cassette would work just as well. Cassettes from higher in the Campy range--Record, Chorus--only cost more. They don't have any performance advantage.

You might also consider looking for dealers that offer Campy cassettes put together in custom fashion from individual cogs. I'm not sure who does that in the UK, but here in the US, Branford Bike does such things. You can check out their site to get an idea of what you could get once you find someone selling similar parts in your area or in the UK.

mansize-rooster said:
Hi,

If memory serves me correctly, you can also use a Shimano 9 speed with a Campy drivetrain. Many people have found it a useful (cheaper) alternative and Shimano might also make better set up. FWIW though, 13-26/53/39 is what I have on one of my bikes and I can do the hills fine. I too switched from a 12-23. Try it first, you'll probably find it makes a world of difference. Good luck.