52 cm frame for a 184cm rider

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Alan Smollen, May 9, 2003.

  1. Alan Smollen

    Alan Smollen Guest

    If I use a long seat post and stem, would I be ok riding a 52cm frame Fuji Aloha triatholon bike? I
    am 184cm tall with a 88 cm inseam. I wonder also about a giant tcr aero 55cm seat post. the chart
    says it will fit with the 300 mm seat post. What is the deal. if your seat and hands and feet are in
    the correct position, does it matter what size the frame is. giant uses the slooped frame. the fuji
    is straight at the top tube.

    The reason for the questions is that I live in Japan and have found these bikes real cheap. I can
    not find a 58cm bike in this country with a reasonable price.

    thank you Alan Smollen

    --
    Acappella Radio=Check out what I'm listening to right now at http://www.live365.com/stations/266369
    . It's an online radio station on

    Tags:

  2. Alan Smollen <[email protected]> wrote:

    > If I use a long seat post and stem, would I be ok riding a 52cm frame Fuji Aloha triatholon bike?
    > I am 184cm tall with a 88 cm inseam. I wonder also about a giant tcr aero 55cm seat post. the
    > chart says it will fit with the 300 mm seat post. What is the deal. if your seat and hands and
    > feet are in the correct position, does it matter what size the frame is. giant uses the slooped
    > frame. the fuji is straight at the top tube.

    > The reason for the questions is that I live in Japan and have found these bikes real cheap. I can
    > not find a 58cm bike in this country with a reasonable price.

    I'm 169 cm and ride a 53 cm frame, which fits me well. While you can probably get the seat where you
    want it with a long seatpost with setback, the main problem would be getting the handlebar high
    enough. On a 52 cm frame compared to a 58 cm frame that 6 cm difference is also present in head tube
    length, so your handlebar would end up quite low. If the steerer tube of the fork hasn't been cut,
    you can obviously use a ton of spacers. You'd also need a long stem which would put more weight on
    the front wheel than usual.

    -as

  3. Alan Smollen <[email protected]> wrote:
    > If I use a long seat post and stem, would I be ok riding a 52cm frame Fuji Aloha triatholon bike?
    > I am 184cm tall with a 88 cm inseam. I wonder also about a giant tcr aero 55cm seat post. the
    > chart says it will fit with the 300 mm seat post. What is the deal. if your seat and hands and
    > feet are in the correct position, does it matter what size the frame is. giant uses the slooped
    > frame. the fuji is straight at the top tube.

    I really doubt it. At 185cm with an 89cm inseam, I ride about a 59cm c-c bike, even up to 62
    (59 toptube). I have a 56cm c-c and even with a 90 deg quill stem that provides rise, it is
    just too small.

    The 52cm bike will have a short top tube. You can make some of that up with a long stem, but
    probably not 5-6cm extra. Although a very long stem will get the bars far enough away, the weight is
    far out over the front wheel and it will handle terribly. This will be especially true if you have a
    tri bike with aero bars sticking out there.

    > The reason for the questions is that I live in Japan and have found these bikes real cheap. I can
    > not find a 58cm bike in this country with a reasonable price.

    A bike that does not fit is no bargain. I have no idea what the Japanese bike market is like, is it
    that the 58cm bikes are more expensive than the same in 52cm, or just that you can't find one at a
    closeout price?