5'2" - need new bike

lindagrimm

Jun 28, 2004
I am new to this forum and looking for some advice. Just completed my first tri on a mountain bike. Had a great time, but now I've been bitten by the "bug" and want to race faster!

Anyway...I would like to purchase a road bike, but am rather on the "short" side at 5'2". Are there special considerations that I should look for? Any favorite brands/models geared toward shorter riders?

Thanks.

Several manufacturers make "Women Specific" bikes, which you can learn more about in another thread here.

Probably not a Lemond, as the frames are bigger than average (ie, a 55 cm Lemond is bigger than other 55 cm).

Trek might work. That's the only one off the top of my head that makes "WSD" frames. Of course, you can try the men's frames, but the smallest frames are 50 cm.

I am a shorty too!
5`2` and all meanness...
I ride a Japanese bike (Anchor RA-5, refer to my post `Proud mama of a Japanese speed demon`) because #1 I live in Japan and #2 I am apparently built like a Japanese man..small.

Look for something with geometry that fits you! Women typically have long legs and short torsos (opposite men)...so WSD bikes generally have a short top tube. Test ride, test ride, test ride!
And expect to change the seat once you start riding distance...

Good luck!
e

Thanks to all for the advice. It will be nice to go to the LBS more informed and a few bike models to try!

Now...onto my quest!

Originally posted by lindagrimm
I am new to this forum and looking for some advice. Just completed my first tri on a mountain bike. Had a great time, but now I've been bitten by the "bug" and want to race faster!

Anyway...I would like to purchase a road bike, but am rather on the "short" side at 5'2". Are there special considerations that I should look for? Any favorite brands/models geared toward shorter riders?

Thanks.

An old 'friend' of mine is your height and found great success with an Independent Fabrication bike, both road and MTB. They are not cheap but you'll be assured that you'll be getting a bike that fits. Check them out at www.ifbikes.com

:eek:

Was able to test ride a few bikes the other day. The Lemond, while a nice bike, made me feel too stretched out. Also tried a Serotta Fierte (48) which felt great...anyone have experience with them? Please let me know. Trying to decide if spending the $2000 for that bike is worth it....although if it fits me best, I suppose it would be. Definitely a sweet ride!

I still want to try the Trek 1500WSD and Specialized Dolce before spending the extra $1000. Trying to locate one of each in my size.

I am also 5'2" and bought a Cannondale R500 earlier this year. Have fun shopping! :)

Diane

A friend, 5'2" and over 55, also a runner, just bought a 17" Giant Perigee flat bar road bike as her first bike. It seems ideal as her training speeds are the same as other road bikes and it is more comfortable for her to ride.

She considered the Bianchi Donna and the ML3 flat bar, http://www.awcycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s134p3309 but the Giant prooved better value for the $$.

lindagrimm said:

Thanks.

Hi there, i know the feeling you've got just now i was the same plus same hight. I got a Giant OCR 3T http://www.giantbicycles.com/uk/030...ear=2003&bikesection=8792&range=69&model=9829
great bike i love it. :D

Well I am about 160cm (just under 5'2) and ride an Alchemy. Alchemy is an Australian brand and this year they have released a range of women's specific bikes designed by Anna Millward (2X world road champion). I have one with ultegra components and that comes with carbon forks and rear seat stays - its a beautiful bike. They have different model bikes available with the whole shimano range of running gear sora to dura-ace and regardless of the model they are great bikes with frames to perfectly fit us more petite women.

ausgirl said:
Well I am about 160cm (just under 5'2) and ride an Alchemy. Alchemy is an Australian brand and this year they have released a range of women's specific bikes designed by Anna Millward (2X world road champion). I have one with ultegra components and that comes with carbon forks and rear seat stays - its a beautiful bike. They have different model bikes available with the whole shimano range of running gear sora to dura-ace and regardless of the model they are great bikes with frames to perfectly fit us more petite women.

Can you provide a web link to this bike please?

I am also 5'2''. I just bought a 48'' Specialized Dolce Elite last week. So far I love it! It is my first road bike as well, as I am new to cycling. I had been riding a Specialized Crossraods hybrid bike for about 4 years, but wanted to get something a bit speedier than I could use for my school's cycling team or for charity rides, as well as some bike routes and rides around town. Good luck finding a bike!

diane143 said:
I am also 5'2" and bought a Cannondale R500 earlier this year. Have fun shopping! :)

Diane
I'll second the Cannondale R500 Fem. It fits like a dream for under $1000 and has with Tieagra (sp?) shifters. Yes, I am new but enthusiastic.

Hi there. I am also 5'2" and I just bought at Cannondale R500 Femine! And I love it. It's a great bike. I highly recommend it. Happy Shopping and Happy Riding! :)

Jillybean72 said:
Hi there. I am also 5'2" and I just bought at Cannondale R500 Femine! And I love it. It's a great bike. I highly recommend it. Happy Shopping and Happy Riding! :)
Doesn't it roll real nice?

My husbands got a nice expensive bike but tried mine out & was just a tad envious.

lindagrimm said:

Thanks.
My best friend who is 5'1 uses a Bianchi 44cm bike to do tri's with. Sorry not sure which one since I'm a mountain kind of girl, but I know she loves it although she does complain about the seat quite a bit.