5200 or 5500?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Pasik

Hello, I'm thinking of a new road bike this spring. I have my eye on either a Trek 5200 or 5500. If
I'm reading the specs right, the only difference I see between the two is that the 5500 has
Durra-Ace components. The frames seem identical. If this is the case, is it worth the extra $$ for
the Durra-Ace components? I plan on riding around 1500 to 2000 miles per year. Also, how durable are
the Bontrager wheels. I'm not familiar with this make. Thanks for any advise.

Mike

--

"Mike Pasik" <[email protected]> wrote in news:L7U3a.9103$jR3.4921336 @news1.news.adelphia.net:
> If I'm reading the specs right, the only difference I see between the two is that the 5500 has
> Durra-Ace components. The frames seem identical. If this is the case, is it worth the extra $$ for
> the Durra-Ace components? I plan on riding around 1500 to 2000 miles per year. Also, how durable
> are the Bontrager wheels. I'm not familiar with this make.

2000 miles a year is about 40 miles a week. At that level, I think even a 105-level bike will be
more than adequate for your needs at half the price. You won't notice any difference between Ultegra
and Dura Ace unless you're a competitive racer. Bontrager is Trek's house brand and should be fine
unless you use them to jump curbs.

Ken

Got a 5200 in March last year. Have 3400 miles not even one problem. Just changed the Bontrager
Tires last week. Never even adjusted the wheels. Could not be more pleased with a bike. Ave about 18
-19 MPH. Would you believe not even a flat tire.

"Mike Pasik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello, I'm thinking of a new road bike this spring. I have my eye on either a Trek 5200 or 5500.
> If I'm reading the specs right, the only difference I see between the two is that the 5500 has
> Durra-Ace components. The frames seem identical. If this is the case, is it worth the extra $$ for
> the Durra-Ace
components?
> I plan on riding around 1500 to 2000 miles per year. Also, how durable are the Bontrager wheels.
> I'm not familiar with this make. Thanks for any advise.
>
> Mike
>
>
>
>
> --

Mike: You are correct, the 5200 & 5500 share identical framesets & wheels. Since those are the only
two components that affect the actual ride of a bike, they will ride exactly the same. The DuraAce
components will be a bit longer-last, and some people prefer the feel of the shifters. However, I'm
not convinced that the DuraAce triple is that much of a step up from the Ultegra version.

Price-wise, they're much no longer $1000 apart. A 5200 runs about $2500 (just $30 more for a triple)
while a 5500 double goes for $3100 and a triple for $3200. They brought the pricing closer by using
the same wheels on both bikes, while for 2002, the 5500 had the lighter-weight Race X-Lites.

Durability, in general, doesn't sound like it's going to be an issue for you, as either DuraAce or
Ultegra should both last many, many years if ridden only 2000 miles/year. However, that was the old
you. The new you is going to find a lot more time to get out and ride that cool bike! That's an
order, by the way. :>)

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Mike Pasik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Hello, I'm thinking of a new road bike this spring. I have my eye on either a Trek 5200 or 5500.
> the Durra-Ace
components?
> I plan on riding around 1500 to 2000 miles per year. Also, how durable are the Bontrager wheels.
> I'm not familiar with this make. Thanks for any advise.
>
> Mike
>
>
>
>
> --

Thanks for all the advise from everyone. It's a toss up but I think the 5500 will be the one. If I'm
lucky, it will arrive just in time when all the snow melts. I've got a lot of miles to put on
it...right Mike?

--

"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Mike: You are correct, the 5200 & 5500 share identical framesets &
wheels.
> Since those are the only two components that affect the actual ride of a bike, they will ride
> exactly the same. The DuraAce components will be a
bit
> longer-last, and some people prefer the feel of the shifters. However,
I'm
> not convinced that the DuraAce triple is that much of a step up from the Ultegra version.
>
> Price-wise, they're much no longer $1000 apart. A 5200 runs about $2500 (just $30 more for a
> triple) while a 5500 double goes for $3100 and a
triple
> for $3200. They brought the pricing closer by using the same wheels on
both
> bikes, while for 2002, the 5500 had the lighter-weight Race X-Lites.
>
> Durability, in general, doesn't sound like it's going to be an issue for you, as either DuraAce or
> Ultegra should both last many, many years if ridden only 2000 miles/year. However, that was the
> old you. The new you
is
> going to find a lot more time to get out and ride that cool bike! That's
an
> order, by the way. :>)
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
>
>
> "Mike Pasik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hello, I'm thinking of a new road bike this spring. I have my eye on either a Trek 5200 or 5500.
> > If I'm reading the specs right, the only difference I see between the
two
> > is that the 5500 has Durra-Ace components. The frames seem identical. If this is the case, is it
> > worth the extra $$ for the Durra-Ace
> components?
> > I plan on riding around 1500 to 2000 miles per year. Also, how durable are the Bontrager wheels.
> > I'm not familiar with this make. Thanks for any advise.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> >
>

Status
Not open for further replies.