5200 project one

anteyeradio

Jan 30, 2007
I found a 2003 trek 5200 project one for sell at the lbs the guy is asking $1000 for it, is this a good price? I don't have any pictures but it is in really good shape, its a deep red, all stock.It is his personal bike, and it is my size which is rare because I ride a 52cm.

never crashed, all ultegra, low miles, no scratches, chips on frame original tires, brake pads, seat etc.there is a scratch on one of the shifters ,looks like were it has been leaned against a wall. He done a couple of tris on it and some regullar training.He bought the bike before he bought the bike shop, he is a specialized dealer so know he rides a s-works tarmac.

Plus I was wondering if any one knows how much these bikes weigh.

anteyeradio said:
I found a 2003 trek 5200 project one for sell at the lbs the guy is asking $1000 for it, is this a good price? I don't have any pictures but it is in really good shape, its a deep red, all stock.It is his personal bike, and it is my size which is rare because I ride a 52cm.

never crashed, all ultegra, low miles, no scratches, chips on frame original tires, brake pads, seat etc.there is a scratch on one of the shifters ,looks like were it has been leaned against a wall. He done a couple of tris on it and some regullar training.He bought the bike before he bought the bike shop, he is a specialized dealer so know he rides a s-works tarmac.

Plus I was wondering if any one knows how much these bikes weigh.
Yes, it's more than a good price ... IMO, it's probably a great price.

The bike probably weighs about 18 lbs., give-or-take ... it depends on the wheels & tires, the saddle, and the pedals ... it could be lighter with different components (e.g., Campagnolo RECORD) OR heavier. Regardless, don't worry about the bike's weight (or, that of any other bike) ... you'll have a tough time getting more bike for your money ... plus, the TREK 5200 may be a better frame (for some conditions/riders ...) than the S-Works Tarmac ... the Trek 5200 is what I would choose if those were the only two frames I had to choose between (in case you were interested).

I am going to buy a bike from this shop and I was trying to decide between a 2008 felt f85 or a 2008 specialized allez elite, and he mentioned that he would sell me one of his bikes, of these three which would be the best deal, this will be my first road bike. I have rode other road bikes on long rides and such so I have a little experince riding road bikes.I race mtb for this shop so I get a pretty good discount on stuff there.

anteyeradio said:
I am going to buy a bike from this shop and I was trying to decide between a 2008 felt f85 or a 2008 specialized allez elite, and he mentioned that he would sell me one of his bikes, of these three which would be the best deal, this will be my first road bike. I have rode other road bikes on long rides and such so I have a little experince riding road bikes.I race mtb for this shop so I get a pretty good discount on stuff there.
First, there are at least two different philosophies with regard to the frame/fork ... and, while I have what some might argue is a nicer carbon fiber frame than the Trek 5200 (the 5200 was the top-of-the-line Trek & was the frame that was used to win at least one Tour de France), I actually fall into the camp that thinks that the frame MATERIAL is almost irrelevant, that the weight is almost irrelevant to the average rider, and that the geometry AND fork make most of the difference ...

The Project ONE option is a few hundred dollar premium which is manifested by the "custom" paint + the user's choice of components -- it indicates a semi-custom assembly -- all of which may seem plain or dull compared to the flashier paint scheme & decals of an off-the-rack bike, but don't be deceived -- the owner wanted the high-end frame, but probably didn't want to be appear to be a Lance butt-boy -- before the days of bling, it would have been like buying a Bentley instead of a Rolls ... you want the car, but you don't want the too recognizeable RR grill.

If you were to buy a TREK 5200 FRAME with a Project ONE option, then or now, I presume you would have to pony up more than $2000 before tacking on the cost of the components & wheels.

When you look at what may seem to be a plain-jane, red 5200, you're looking at a bike that probably set the owner back about $3000+ ... even if the FELT or SPECIALIZED bike you are considering have newer components, they will always be lesser bikes in the grand scheme of things ... and besides, a few hundred dollars eventually (if ever) updating the components would be better spent on Campagnolo components if/when you decide that you have out-grown the Ultegra components.

Of course, others may have a different opinion ...

FWIW. If you greatly prefer trigger shifting to grip shifting, then Shimano's shifters may be more to your liking, and vice-versa ... but, if you know & appreciate/prefer the advantages of grip shifting (multiple cogs per shift), then you may like Campagnolo shifters better, and vice-versa.

Personally, I greatly prefer Campagnolo shifters ... some people actually like Shimano shifters (I actually "love" Shimano's other components).

Don't let ANY scratches on the shifters influence you (they scratch VERY EASILY).

Regardless, I am sure that all of the bikes you are looking at have Shimano shifters ...

FYI. Ultegra is the XT-equivalent in Shimano's ROAD groups.

While the other bikes are certainly "good" ... for $1000, if you want a ROAD bike, the particular Trek 5200 is a deal you probably won't be able to match for quality & value.