531 Carlton Kermesse

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by rifraf, Oct 5, 2006.

1. rifraf

rifraf New Member

Hi, I just picked up one of these and cant find anything about this particular model online.
    Does anyone know anything about them?
    It has a Reynolds Butted 531 sticker (frame tubes) on the down tube and 531 (fork blades) stickers on the forks.
    Raleigh cranks, suntour derailer (rear) and Raleigh (front), Weimann brake levers and calipers and mavic rims.
    Any info much appreciated
    cheers

Tags:

2. rifraf

rifraf New Member

Anyone?

3. rifraf

rifraf New Member

An email from a Carlton authority
    "Frame number dates the bike to December 1981. The W is for Worksop, where the bike was made. Must have been one of the last. The Kermesse was generally one of the better models, and from it’s reintroduction in 1978 had a Reynolds 501 Chrome-alloy frame. I can’t find any reference to the Kermesse after 1980, so don’t know if they changed the frame to 531. It is a bit of a difficult period as Carlton had their own catalogue, with different Carltons in the Raleigh catalogue and short runs of some models that only appeared on a loose sheet.

Sorry I can’t be of more help."

Well I know a lot more now than I did so I decided to share it with you all

4. dharbon

dharbon New Member

I have a Carlton Kermesse that I bought when I was 16 (1984 ish). At that time I believe that Carlton had been bought by Raleigh. It has a Reynolds 501 Chrome-alloy frame, Shimano 105 chain gear (originally) and weinmann brakes, levers and I think wheels.

I've been using this bike recently to get back into cyling with the local club but I have had to modify it a little as the cassette I had was not compatable with my derailer.

It is now destined to be my winter bike after buying a modern bike.

Regards

Dave

5. dogsection

dogsection New Member

he Hi

Saw your post.

The Carlton Kermesse was the mercedes of the Carlton range-the Careera was the Bentley.

Both the Kermesse and the Careera were handbuilt and numbered-both coming with certificates-built in Worksop in Nottinghamshire-England.

The Kermess was built usng reynolds 501 tubing-the Careera with the 531.

These bikes were built from the 85-87.

My father bought me a Careera in 87 for 300 pounds-(alot of cash back then, especially for a 14 year old!) -also in store was the Kermess, but was not expensive eneough for a spoilt kiddie like me!!

Hope ths helps

G

6. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

I am not going to be much help except that I do remember that Carlton did build quite a few high end British Raleigh frames in the 1980's. They were the more coveted frames with Raleigh built frames basically being junk.