531 forks for a Super Galaxy

Has anyone got some ?? I'm looking for a pair to replace mine as they
have rusted by the dropouts. If you have bought any recently, where
from. Thanks

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> Has anyone got some ?? I'm looking for a pair to replace mine as
>> they have rusted by the dropouts. If you have bought any recently,
>> where from. Thanks

> Why not carbon? You can get carbon forks with bosses for V
> brakes/cantis, if that's what you need.

However, if the OP wants 531 (or something equivalent), then I'd contact one
of the many frame builders and restorers around the country, send them your
old rusty 531 forks and have them replace whatever bits need replacing. If
stuck for a name, try Bob Jackson in Sheffield.

I would find it a hard call between carbon and steel forks on such a bike.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

"Nigel Cliffe" <[email protected]>typed

> However, if the OP wants 531 (or something equivalent), then I'd
> contact one
> of the many frame builders and restorers around the country, send them your
> old rusty 531 forks and have them replace whatever bits need replacing. If
> stuck for a name, try Bob Jackson in Sheffield.

Umm... isn't Bob Jackson's shop in Leeds?
I don't think the man himself is still alive.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

"Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Nigel Cliffe" <[email protected]>typed
>

>> However, if the OP wants 531 (or something equivalent), then I'd
>> contact one
>> of the many frame builders and restorers around the country, send them
>> your
>> old rusty 531 forks and have them replace whatever bits need replacing.
>> If
>> stuck for a name, try Bob Jackson in Sheffield.

> Umm... isn't Bob Jackson's shop in Leeds?
> I don't think the man himself is still alive.

Yes on both counts. Also in Leeds is Woodrups. There's Ellis Briggs in
Shipley. Mercian somewhere in Derbyshire. Argos cycles in Bristol. Any of
the major comics will contain adverts for frame builders/restorers. I've
still got to get around to having my rear drop outs replaced on my battle
scarred Galaxy. That then leads to a respray. That then leads to
refurbishment/ replacement of parts that detract from the 'newness' of the
frame's look. Buying a new Galaxy would be marginally more expensive ;-)

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> "Nigel Cliffe" <[email protected]>typed
>

>> However, if the OP wants 531 (or something equivalent), then I'd
>> contact one
>> of the many frame builders and restorers around the country, send
>> them your old rusty 531 forks and have them replace whatever bits
>> need replacing. If stuck for a name, try Bob Jackson in Sheffield.

> Umm... isn't Bob Jackson's shop in Leeds?

Think you're right.

Excuse, for someone living East Anglia, anything north of Peterborough is
"up north" and anything west of Cambridge is "in the far west".

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

"Nigel Cliffe" <[email protected]>typed

> Think you're right.

> Excuse, for someone living East Anglia, anything north of Peterborough is
> "up north" and anything west of Cambridge is "in the far west".

Well, I have lived in Leeds and Sheffield as well as

Doncaster
Dudley
Stourbridge
Orpington
Cambridge
Shetland
Glasgow
Norwich (further east than you!)
London
Poole and
Salisbury

so I know the bike shops in those placess!