54 frame 17cm headtube

beertech

Oct 13, 2011
hello looking to step up from a hybrid to roadbike. I was fitted and was told short legs long torso. Anyways i was told i needed a 54 frame with 17cm headtube for more of an upright position. Anyone know of any models i should look at. Pricerange is up to 1700

Don't know if you've already purchased a bike, but Trek makes some very good aluminum compact frames. Check out the 2.1 and 2.3 on trekbikes.com. I also have short legs and have the 2.1 in your size, paid about $1400 I believe. The 2.3 has a better group set.

I have a short torso also; my LBS also recommended I try a taller head-tube bike. And, I'm a size 54, typically.

The one that jumped out in my memory for having a 170mm head tube was the Jamis Xenith Endura. However, I don't think they make an alloy version, so it might be out of your price range (cheapest MSRP on website is $2300).

The Specialized Secteur is available in size 54 with a 165mm HT and the Cannondale Synapse has a 165mm HT in size 54 also. I test rode the carbon versions of these bikes (Secteur is the alloy version of the Roubaix, I believe), but they are out of your desired price range. The alloy versions have many options in your price range, however.

Scott

If a 54 Secteur is only 16.5, then a 17 is going to be a very difficult find, because Specialized is about as tall as they come. You may want to compromise your shop's recommendation, though, especially if your arms are more proportionate to your legs and you have decent flexibility. If this is the case, I wouldn't hesitate to try any moderate design such as Trek H2, Scott CR1/Speedster, Specialized Allez, etc.

If your legs are extremely long, such a 50% or more of your total height, and/or the arms are short and/or the flexibility is a problem, your best find might be a Secteur or a Felt Z-series.

Did the advice about the head tube size include spacers beneath the stem? If not, then you should take into account that you can, usually, 2-3 cm of spacers beneath the stem.

The Cinelli's come with a 150mm headtube on their 54's across the range. Not as tall as the Specialized Roubaix or Secteur but they are taller than most other sport/racing roadbikes. With the added spacing factor Alienator points out, along with "flipping" the stem, quite a bit of leeway can be made up for.

This is a handy comparison tool for calculating where the bars will end up under various configs:
http://alex.phred.org/stemchart/Default.aspx

Enter the headtube length (along w/spacers) in the 'Spacers' field for a comparison to what you currently have or the various models you are looking at. Simply flipping the stem (assuming a +/- 6 degree rise) with all else being equal gets a 2cm rise.

Test riding a 54cm with a flipped stem on one of the models above (or any taller headtubed bike) will give you an immediate barometer of the fitters recommendation. Stem length is another consideration - test riding most stock bikes would feel too big for me (too long really) despite the frame fitting fine. Stock 54's usually come with a 100 or 110mm stem. 54 is my size too but my stubby arms need a 90mm stem. Food for thought.