550 W

Even though it was during a race and not intentional, I doubt I would do any better this time of year, as I have not done any VO2/AWC in months.

Originally Posted by bgoetz .

Even though it was during a race and not intentional, I doubt I would do any better this time of year, as I have not done any VO2/AWC in months.
Myself included...I currently tapering for a 40km TT in 7 days time...Most of my focus has been in and around FTP for past 3-4months.

Looking forward to cranking up the crit training soon.

Paul

I am so screwed for this competition. 54kg, that puts 550 watts at 10w/kg. Yeah I think I *might* manage 30-40 seconds. And that would impress me a lot.

I was curious to see what 550 feels like so I had a go. It was on an gym exercise bike, the fit sucks but I think the power numbers are fairly accurate. I had two go's at it after my swim, I hit 60s@550 both times. Its pretty intense and not all that impressive for me since thats only 5.5Watts/kg which is "untrained" according to some charts. Maybe with some practice I can do better.

Impressive work by the rest of you.

IMO, for road racing it all comes down to repedibility. If you can do 500 watts for 90 seconds over and over it is much better than 550 watts for 2 minutes. Now if you are doing track then it is one load all at once.

Originally Posted by bgoetz .

IMO, for road racing it all comes down to repedibility. If you can do 500 watts for 90 seconds over and over it is much better than 550 watts for 2 minutes. Now if you are doing track then it is one load all at once.
Absolutely!

I've done 2:05 for 550 and over 500 for 3 minutes but it's flattered by the aerobic portion 450 for 5 minutes and it's very unrepeatable - indeed it's only really doable in training / single effort, rather than repeatable in a race.

So despite a headline number of a 1 minute of 9.5w/kg I actually get slaughtered in any race with a ~1 minute decisive selection because it's completely unrepeatable. If I could find races with repeated 5minute selections I'd be in a much better position.