550 W

vspa

Jan 11, 2009
this information is about Miguel Indurain, does it mean his maximum power ? for how long can you sustain that ?

I'm not sure what that number refers to. Indurain's power for a complete hour when he set his hour record was ~509 watts and his lab tested 'max power' during a ramp test with 4 minute ramp steps was 572 watts which was the power during the final ramp step before exhaustion.

Here's a good paper on Big Mig and his hour record: http://jap.physiology.org/content/89/4/1522.full

-Dave

That is just unreal to think about, 509watts for 1hr, basically my 3-4minute MMP and I am not a slouch on the bike!

Originally Posted by bgoetz .

That is just unreal to think about, 509watts for 1hr, basically my 3-4minute MMP and I am not a slouch on the bike!
Yeah, but think about it more like the way a good college level basketball player might do compared to say Michael Jordan in his prime or maybe a top level country club golfer playing head to head with Tiger Woods back when he was winning everything.

These guys were at the top of their sports for good reason and it's no different in cycling. The top pro riders are just way out of our league and trying to compare amateurs, even very good amateurs to the top pros in their prime is humbling.

-Dave

I just think of the effort it takes to put out a 3-4 minute MMP, the taste of vomit in my throat, legs just seizing. And then I imagine somone putting out that power for one freaking hour! It is just silly.

I just think of the effort it takes to put out a 3-4 minute MMP, the taste of vomit in my throat, legs just seizing. And then I imagine somone putting out that power for one freaking hour! It is just silly.
We should start up a 550watt challenge....See how long you can hold 550watts (lap AP) for and post your file? Can't post your result without a file to back up your proof

Paul

Yeah and to make it worse there's no reason to believe it was any more uncomfortable for him to lay down 510 watts for a full hour than it is for us to ride our best 40K time trial. It's not comfortable for anyone but he's putting out the kind of power we only see when deeply in the VO2 Max/Anaerobic pain cave at an effort level that would have felt reasonable for a run of the mill 2x20 set.

Of course the flip side as Lemond pointed out was that 'it doesn't get any easier, you just get faster...' IOW, there's a place he had to go to be his best for short duration efforts but he was likely pushing something like 700+ watts for a couple of minutes when he went there. That's closing in on a horsepower of human powered effort for a couple of minutes or more. I have no idea what his MMP looked like for those shorter AWC/VO2 Max efforts but it had to be pretty amazing!

-Dave

fluro2au said:
We should start up a 550watt challenge....See how long you can hold 550watts (lap AP) for and post your file? Can't post your result without a file to back up your proof Paul
Haha, sounds fun, but a good way to derail my training plan :(. I am pretty sure 3-4 minutes is about it for me.

Haha, sounds fun, but a good way to derail my training plan /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif. I am pretty sure 3-4 minutes is about it for me.
Well you're 3 to 4 times longer than me for that power :)

But to be fair the linked paper has his hour record power at ~510 watts and his final 4 minute step of a ramped test at 572 so I have no idea how long he was able to hold 550. It's still crazy impressive but not quite as crazy.

-Dave

bgoetz said:
Haha, sounds fun, but a good way to derail my training plan :(. I am pretty sure 3-4 minutes is about it for me.
If you can hold 550 for 3-4 mins you would be in a similar league to the worlds best pursuit riders.

Ill start the bidding...this morning I got 549W for 1 minute trying to bridge up to a group following a bus...the bus got away...and I was left in the middle thinking that hurt a bit and was a fairly stupid thing to do (cause it hurt...and I really didn't need to be doing that sort of effort). But anyway...settled down a bit...and finally bridged up..took another minute at 330ish...and that still hurt...

Absolutely couldn't imagine anybody doing 500+ for an hour!

Sam

Haha, sounds fun, but a good way to derail my training plan /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif. I am pretty sure 3-4 minutes is about it for me.
Come on Bgoetz...How could a 1-5min effort derail your training plan?

I'm up for it

Will have a crack on boxing day and set the standard /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif, which won't be too high...LOL

Paul

I am thinking more along the 3 minute range, my 5 min MMP is 450, and my 1 min MMP north of 700. I know I have seen over 500 for two minutes on a hill that I train on. My 1min AWC intervals rarely drop under 550 and I have done 20 in a row, I think that day a couple went south of 500. I am testing this week, maybe I can find time to pop one off AFTER my testing is complete. I am pretty structured in the way I train and if I am going to go after a max effort I am going to be fresh for it, but I won't let it get in the way of my max efforts that actually matter to me. I have had people suggest I give track racing a try, but "among the worlds best" is a bold statement without knowing what I weigh.

I am thinking more along the 3 minute range, my 5 min MMP is 450, and my 1 min MMP north of 700. I know I have seen over 500 for two minutes on a hill that I train on. My 1min AWC intervals rarely drop under 550 and I have done 20 in a row, I think that day a couple went south of 500.
I am testing this week, maybe I can find time to pop one off AFTER my testing is complete. I am pretty structured in the way I train and if I am going to go after a max effort I am going to be fresh for it, but I won't let it get in the way of my max efforts that actually matter to me.
I have had people suggest I give track racing a try, but "among the worlds best" is a bold statement without knowing what I weigh.
Hmmm, you're right - looking at your avatar pics, I'm guessing you're not a climber...?/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif 1min MMP north of 700... you'd be an animal on the track - pity the kilo isn't in vogue these days!

Haha, no not a climber. I am currently 81kg and will hopefully be down to 77 by race season. Those #s were when I was 82kg. I suspect my VO2 and AWC is not nearly as trained as it was then either, we will see this week though.

500 and 550 are two totally different animals.
I'd be up for a 500.

the thing is 505 watts (Mig's hour) has to be calculated at watts per kilogram.
I believe Boardman's 440 or was it 460 was a slightly higher watts per kilogram.
Miguel was a big dude, and recently tried a workout to 'prove' he could do that wattage drug-free.

TShame said:
500 and 550 are two totally different animals. I'd be up for a 500.  
You need to provide a file, KK trainer is not going to work. As I think I stated in your other thread, I am very skeptical of any #s based off of an estimated power curve, sorry. But if you can provide a file from one of the power meters that you used to verify the accuracy of you KK trainer that will work :).

Hi,

Had a crack to see how long I could hold 550watts today.

Managed to last 1min and 48seconds.....The amateur bar has been set....The Challenge is open /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

http://app.strava.com/activities/35193083

Paul

Opps made a mistake....It was only 1min and 16sec...../img/vbsmilies/smilies/hissyfit.gif

I have not tried yet, I looked and have an effort from last season that is just over 2 minutes.