58 or 60T Campy compatible chain-ring?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by ProfTournesol, Mar 29, 2006.

  1. ProfTournesol

    ProfTournesol New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2003
    I wonder if anyone knows of a 58 or 60 tooth campagnolo 10 speed compatible chain-ring? It needs to have chain-lifters on it to accurately lift the chain without over lifting it or failing to lift it.
    I'm no Robbie McEwan beating sprinter, I just want it to gear up my Bike Friday (with 451 wheels) and currently I'm restricted to the largest ring that Campagnolo make - a 53 tooth.

    Tags:

  2. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Here's a 56T, not quite wha toyu were after, but better.

    http://www.cyclinginnovations.com/newsite/products/tiso/CampyChainrings.html

    presumably you DO have a 11T on the back? :D

  3. EuanB

    EuanB New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    I'm glad you explained that. Having recently gone the compact route with a 50/34 I was starting to wonder.

  4. Rory Williams

    Rory Williams New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2003
    I understand that Greenspeed can make up chainwheels to any size you like, they're fairly pricy though. Preumably a 135 BDC to fit Campag shouldn't be an issue but the ramps and pins may be beyond them.

    There were also some early SR chainrings in 135BDC, I've got a 54 on my stationary system. Again no ramps or pins

    RoryW

  5. Ideal

    Ideal Guest

    Again , I know it is not exactly what you want but we have a couple of 55 &
    56t to suit 135 Campy pattern , without the ramps & pins but for $25ea they
    are a cheap alternative.
    Steve

    Ideal WA
    http://ideal1984.blogspot.com/

  6. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher Guest

  7. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    ProfTournesol wrote:

    > I wonder if anyone knows of a 58 or 60 tooth campagnolo 10
    > speed compatible chain-ring? It needs to have chain-lifters on
    > it to accurately lift the chain without over lifting it or failing to lift it.

    Ya need an Egg-ring. http://www.highpath.co.uk/cycles/products/eggs/01.html

    Custom chainrings up to 110 teeth. They even do oval ones, if that's your perversion. Not cheap though.

    Cheers,

    Suzy

  8. ProfTournesol

    ProfTournesol New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2003
    it's exactly the pins that I need. I have tried a campy compatible Speedlite chainring that has ramps but not pins and it doesn't work. It's exacerbated by the relatively short wheelbase and the chain angles from running a triple (this is the bike that I'm taking cycling the Pyrenees with a 15kg trailer)!! I have the low range OK but I need a larger chainring too as it isn't all uphill:))

  9. Resound

    Resound New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2004
    They do customs too! That could be just the thing for the funky street fixie. Speaking of which, how's that track bike coming along?

  10. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    SJS Cycles show TA 135BCD chainrings up to 57t -
    http://www.sjscycles.com/store/cat500.htm.

    With that large a chainring, you will need to remove the RH crank when
    packing the Bike Friday in the hard shell case. For that reason I stick with
    the 53t big ring on mine - it just fits in the case with the crank in place,
    and 53-11 seems a big enough gear on the 451 wheels.

    Nick

    "ProfTournesol" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:p[email protected]

    > I wonder if anyone knows of a 58 or 60 tooth campagnolo 10 speed
    > compatible chain-ring? It needs to have chain-lifters on it to
    > accurately lift the chain without over lifting it or failing to lift
    > it.
    > I'm no Robbie McEwan beating sprinter, I just want it to gear up my
    > Bike Friday (with 451 wheels) and currently I'm restricted to the
    > largest ring that Campagnolo make - a 53 tooth.

  11. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-03-30, Resound (aka Bruce)
    > suzyj Wrote:
    >> Custom chainrings up to 110 teeth. They even do oval ones, if that's
    >> your perversion. Not cheap though.

    > They do customs too! That could be just the thing for the funky street
    > fixie. Speaking of which, how's that track bike coming along?

    I saw a beautiful fixie last night at the alleycats.

    A front 54 tooth ring, and a back 34 tooth ring. He had trouble with
    the threads, ended up brazing the ring onto the hub. "fixed" indeed :)

    P.S. It had a lovely basket on the front. :)

    P.P.S It was funny watching him spin and still lose big time to
    Hannah.

    P.P.P.S I found the owner of the Hoffy fixie we saw at the games road
    race on Sunday.

    --
    TimC
    "Saving four times is just paranoia. Unless you're using an Exabyte

  12. andyinchville

    andyinchville New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2010
    HI,

    King's Sales and Service can make the custom sprockets (they call them Super Sprockets) for your application (maybe minus the "lifter" though).

    The web page is : kingssalesandservice.com

    Hope this helps you.

    Andrew

  13. swampy1970

    swampy1970 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2008
    Messages:
    10,057
    You could always go for a double reduction system like this one...

    A 70x13 main on the left of the bike driving a 60x15 secondary.

    [​IMG]

    Back in t' days when men were men and sheep were scared... very scared. The chainring probably cost 7 months wages.

    [​IMG]

  14. alfeng

    alfeng Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2005
    Messages:
    6,723
    Quote:

    it's exactly the pins that I need. I have tried a campy compatible Speedlite chainring that has ramps but not pins and it doesn't work.
    Because the "pins" are really just rivets, almost anyone can add "pins" to almost any chainring which currently lacks "pins":

    • Drill appropriately-sized holes (based on the diameter of the "pin" used) in the appropriate location on the ring (use an existing, "pinned" chainring for reference)
    • Insert a rivet or (better) a self-taping metal screw & file down the screw's head (create-or-leave enough "edge" so that it can be removed) ... with the self-taping screws, you'll want the diameter of the hole to be slightly smaller than the OD of the screw's threads ... because of the short stays on the Bike Friday, initially, I would probably file the head of the screws so that they are about 0.5mm prouder than a normal "pin" AND then by trial-and-error see how proud you can leave the head while allowing the chain to still move freely between the chainrings.

    If in doubt, then just do ONE, first ... and, test. Then, when you are satisfied, add the rest of the "pins" to the chainring.

    If you still have (access to) the Speedlite chainring, then you can modify it, accordingly ... and then, you will have the chainring ready for your next trip to-and-through the Pyrenees.