5hr energy, any damage to my body?

p4lm3r

Aug 28, 2012
This is my first post here, but I always carry a bottle of 5hr energy in my jersey for rides. When I get close to bonking, I will shoot it. Seems to do good things. My concern, I go through a lot of water on rides(South Carolina, average 44oz/20miles) and I am concerned about what the massive amounts of B vitamins could do to my kidneys/liver. I sweat out all the water, and generally never have to urinate for hours after a ride. I use it just as a pick up when the banannas/granola/whatever haven't been able to carry me.

Caffeine helps the body burn fat to some degree. As for the B vitamins, I would guess that they are like most supplements--not a high level of bioavailability. That is, just because the label says there is 500 mg of some nutrient doesn't mean that's what your body will absorb. Usually it's a pretty low percentage. Your diet outside of riding is far more likely to cause problems (processed foods and residual pesticides are some of the biggest offenders).

Personally, I don't like to drink water while riding--I almost exclusively drink Gatorade (sometimes watered down). At normal strength, it's 50 Calories per 8 oz, so if you drink a quart per hour, that's 200 Calories per hour. That helps keep an even energy intake, helps with electrolytes (Gatorade doesn't have them all, so you may have to figure out some other supplements if you have problems).

I can't comment on the B-vit OD. And 5 hour energy seems great for concentration, alertness, and awareness, but as an anti-bonking aid? The only way to avoid a bonk is to ingest a replacement for the stored glycogen that is about to to become, or has become, depleted. 5 hour energy seems to contain nothing that can be converted to glucose. Keep the bananas and granola on hand JIC.