6 D-Cell Maglight Mounts?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Brad, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. Brad

    Brad Guest

    Does anyone know of company that sells or some way to mount 6 D-Cell maglite on a bike with a
    quick release?

    I live in Los ANgeles, and over the last few months I've havd increased issues with "wilding"
    attacks (assaults and attempted assaults from young males looking for racial and social
    economic revenge).

    Because of California's pro-criminal legal system, carrying a gun or knife would be a violation of
    the attackers civil rights if I used it, but a flashlight on a bike at night doesn't automatically
    equal carrying a weapon with the intent to use it for self defense.

    Yes I realize it is a legally grey, but with a 10-30 minute police reponse time on a good day, an
    improvised weapon is better then having cinder blocks dropped on ones head for half an hour until
    the police arrive.

    Changing paths and routes isn't much of an option because the attackers go into the "good
    neighborhood" to look for people to attack, and they will attack people even in broad daylight and
    on well traveled streets. (last attack was 4 blocks from a police station).

    Tags:

  2. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    Why not just move elsewhere...

    "Brad" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know of company that sells or some way to mount 6 D-Cell maglite on a bike with a
    > quick release?
    >
    > I live in Los ANgeles, and over the last few months I've havd increased issues with "wilding"
    > attacks (assaults and attempted assaults from young males looking for racial and social economic
    > revenge).
    >
    > [snip...]
    >
    > Changing paths and routes isn't much of an option because the attackers go into the "good
    > neighborhood" to look for people to attack, and they will attack people even in broad daylight and
    > on well traveled streets. (last attack was 4 blocks from a police station).

  3. Cipher

    Cipher New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2002
    The only way I see you having any kind of 'quick access' is to have it stuck in a small backpack slung over your shoulder with the end of it sticking out to grab...

  4. Zeeexsixare

    Zeeexsixare Guest

    "Nick Payne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Why not just move elsewhere...

    Because anybody can just stop what they're doing and move... Bad response to a valid question.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  5. Frkrygow

    Frkrygow Guest

    Brad wrote:

    > Does anyone know of company that sells or some way to mount 6 D-Cell maglite on a bike with a
    > quick release?

    This looks like something to start with. http://www.tacticalflashlights.com/flashlights/maglite-auto-clamps--2-per-
    package.html

    A front pannier rack (not a "low rider" style) could hold those, open end up. Clip the flashlight
    in, and it's obviously a headlight.

    If necessary, something like heavy rubber bands (say, made of thin "bungee" cord) could make them
    more secure.

    --
    Frank Krygowski [To reply, omit what's between "at" and "cc"]

  6. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:12:03 -0500, "ZeeExSixAre"
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"Nick Payne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> Why not just move elsewhere...
    >
    >Because anybody can just stop what they're doing and move... Bad response to a valid question.

    It's no worse a response than is common in this newsfroup. It certainly makes sense -- there's
    nothing that would make me stay with that sort of thing going on. Then again, there's nothing that
    would ever get me there in the first place...

    Next time I think the locals here are crazy, I'll just have to remind myself of what's going on at
    the opposite end of the country.

    it somewhere. I'll post again if my fuzzy memory focuses.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  7. Bfct

    Bfct Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, usenet- [email protected] says...
    > Brad wrote:
    > > Does anyone know of company that sells or some way to mount 6 D-Cell maglite on a bike with a
    > > quick release?
    >
    > The only way I see you having any kind of 'quick access' is to have it stuck in a small backpack
    > slung over your shoulder with the end of it sticking out to grab...

    I was hoping for some kind of frame clamp. Have to see what a friend of mine with a shop might be
    able to whip up.

    Too repond to one of the other people, about why don't I just leave...

    So when should YOU stop running? If people don't take a stand eventually the gangstas will turn
    every city into a third world war zone.

    During the King Riots in LA, when the police turned tail and hide like cowards me and my neighbors
    took the barricades to defend the fire department so they could save our neighborhood from the
    racist gangstas.

    Bicycle theieves should be treated like horse where in the old west. The police will nor or can not
    protect us, and we have to hit back and hit hard.

  8. Fredzep

    Fredzep Guest

    On 10 Feb 2004 12:24:16 -0800, [email protected] (Brad) wrote:

    >Does anyone know of company that sells or some way to mount 6 D-Cell maglite on a bike with a
    >quick release?
    >
    >I live in Los ANgeles, and over the last few months I've havd increased issues with "wilding"
    >attacks (assaults and attempted assaults from young males looking for racial and social economic
    >revenge).
    >
    >Because of California's pro-criminal legal system, carrying a gun or knife would be a violation of
    >the attackers civil rights if I used it, but a flashlight on a bike at night doesn't automatically
    >equal carrying a weapon with the intent to use it for self defense.
    >
    >Yes I realize it is a legally grey, but with a 10-30 minute police reponse time on a good day, an
    >improvised weapon is better then having cinder blocks dropped on ones head for half an hour until
    >the police arrive.
    >
    >Changing paths and routes isn't much of an option because the attackers go into the "good
    >neighborhood" to look for people to attack, and they will attack people even in broad daylight and
    >on well traveled streets. (last attack was 4 blocks from a police station).

    What about some sort of spray repellant. You could always claim in court that it was intended for
    protection against an over aggressive dog.

    Fredzep

  9. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 10 Feb 2004 12:24:16 -0800, [email protected] (Brad) may have said:

    >Does anyone know of company that sells or some way to mount 6 D-Cell maglite on a bike with a
    >quick release?

    Take a short, cheap, thick, solid aluminum threadless stem, cut the steerer end off, drill and tap a
    couple of holes into the stub, mount a long piece of aluminum flat stock on that, and these on the
    flat stock:

    http://www.knifeandgear.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ASXD026

    Using suitable shims in the handlebar clamp, mount the whole mess to the bars wherever there's room.

    There's probably a ready-made version in sporting goods stores for use on ATVs.

    it's also possible that I'm busy.

  10. On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 01:37:40 -0500, Fredzep <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On 10 Feb 2004 12:24:16 -0800, [email protected] (Brad) wrote:
    >
    >>Does anyone know of company that sells or some way to mount 6 D-Cell maglite on a bike with a
    >>quick release?

    Check hardware stores for "C" shaped devices normally used to hold flashlights, long handled tools,
    etc... to walls. These clips can then be attached to strap-on bottle cage mounts and attached to the
    bike. The weight of the 6D light may require more than 2 clips.

    Personally, I'd probably shove the lamp in a back pack, like an arrow in a quiver, just as
    I do pumps.

    Barry

  11. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "Fredzep" wrote

    > What about some sort of spray repellant. You could always claim in court that it was intended for
    > protection against an over aggressive dog.
    >
    > Fredzep

    Pepper spray has its limitations, especially if the wind is against you....
    --
    mark

  12. Robert Canon

    Robert Canon Guest

    "Brad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I live in Los ANgeles, and over the last few months I've havd increased issues with "wilding"
    > attacks (assaults and attempted assaults from young males looking for racial and social economic
    > revenge).

    Am I the only one who finds the premise of this post disingenuous?

  13. Q.

    Q. Guest

    "Brad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know of company that sells or some way to mount 6 D-Cell maglite on a bike with a
    > quick release?
    <snip>

    Others here have posted links to the clips ... but why not use a chain instead? One of those
    Kryptonite NY Chains with a heavy lock would be as effective as a flashlight. It would be a very
    easy thing to justify in court too ... personally if I was in a jury I wouldn't buy your Maglite
    story. We're talking about pretty serious stuff here. If you were forced to kill your attacker you
    would be questioned heavily. A bicycle specific locking device would be easier to explain than a 6 D
    Cell flashlight (especially if it happens at 1 in the afternoon while you're running an errand).

    Myself, I was thinking of making a metal bicycle pump / hammer at my friends machine shop.

    C.Q.C.

  14. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 12:13:10 -0600, "Robert Canon"
    <[email protected]> may have said:

    >"Brad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> I live in Los ANgeles, and over the last few months I've havd increased issues with "wilding"
    >> attacks (assaults and attempted assaults from young males looking for racial and social economic
    >> revenge).
    >
    >Am I the only one who finds the premise of this post disingenuous?

    Having a relative who lives in the same area, I find it to be only slightly paranoid.

  15. Robert Canon <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Brad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > I live in Los ANgeles, and over the last few months I've havd increased issues with "wilding"
    > > attacks (assaults and attempted assaults from young males looking for racial and social economic
    > > revenge).

    > Am I the only one who finds the premise of this post disingenuous?

    No, you're not. Although, Los Angeles is very large and some parts are more hairy than some other
    parts. OTOH, my most analogous experience there was when some yahoos threw eggs out of an SUV at me
    (I was on foot) in a ritzy area of Pasadena, and I'm pretty sure they were whiteboys from San Marino
    (rich, rich, rich). I don't buy the "revenge" bit. There are always some bullies who try to get a
    little sociopathic fun by picking on what they see as easy targets.

  16. According to Brad <[email protected]>:
    >Does anyone know of company that sells or some way to mount 6 D-Cell maglite on a bike with a
    >quick release?
    >
    >I live in Los ANgeles, and over the last few months I've havd increased issues with "wilding"
    >attacks (assaults and attempted assaults from young males looking for racial and social economic
    >revenge).

    What area is this in? I ride on the Eastside often, never with any incident. What riding I've done
    downtown has also been without hassle.

    ---
    Lars

  17. Zeeexsixare

    Zeeexsixare Guest

    > Myself, I was thinking of making a metal bicycle pump / hammer at my
    friends
    > machine shop.

    Wouldn't that constitute intent to maim or kill? What would a cyclist need the hammer part for? I'm
    not trying to be difficult, I'm trying to see it from your (insightful) perspective.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  18. Q.

    Q. Guest

    "ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Myself, I was thinking of making a metal bicycle pump / hammer at my
    > friends
    > > machine shop.
    >

    > Wouldn't that constitute intent to maim or kill? What would a cyclist
    need
    > the hammer part for? I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm trying to see it from your (insightful)
    > perspective.

    Well, many pumps are already shaped like one anyways ... something like this:

    http://tinyurl.com/2lefo

    If it was made from a nice solid piece of metal, then they way you would swing it would be like a
    hammer for self defense. It wouldn't necessarily be a hammer, but I could see the value of a hammer
    in certain situations ... like when you wipe out and have to bend things back just to get home. I
    still like the chain and lock carried around the waist idea myself. That one seems to be popular
    with NYC bike messengers.

    C.Q.C.

  19. Robert Canon

    Robert Canon Guest

    "Lars Lehtonen" wrote
    > According to Brad <[email protected]>:
    > >I live in Los ANgeles, and over the last few months I've havd increased issues with "wilding"
    > >attacks (assaults and attempted assaults from young males looking for racial and social economic
    > >revenge).
    >
    > What area is this in? I ride on the Eastside often, never with any incident. What riding I've done
    > downtown has also been without hassle.

    Thank you!

    In addition to my suspicions about the credibility of the OP, I wonder about the practicality of
    improvised cudgels, maces, and war hammers for use from a bicycle...

  20. Brad

    Brad Guest

    Problem with those is that they don't work well on drunks & junkies. Also the stuff expires, and you
    have to replace it.