6 D-Cell Maglight Mounts?

Brad

Guest
Does anyone know of company that sells or some way to mount 6 D-Cell maglite on a bike with a
quick release?

I live in Los ANgeles, and over the last few months I've havd increased issues with "wilding"
attacks (assaults and attempted assaults from young males looking for racial and social
economic revenge).

Because of California's pro-criminal legal system, carrying a gun or knife would be a violation of
the attackers civil rights if I used it, but a flashlight on a bike at night doesn't automatically
equal carrying a weapon with the intent to use it for self defense.

Yes I realize it is a legally grey, but with a 10-30 minute police reponse time on a good day, an
improvised weapon is better then having cinder blocks dropped on ones head for half an hour until
the police arrive.

Changing paths and routes isn't much of an option because the attackers go into the "good
neighborhood" to look for people to attack, and they will attack people even in broad daylight and
on well traveled streets. (last attack was 4 blocks from a police station).

Why not just move elsewhere...

"Brad" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone know of company that sells or some way to mount 6 D-Cell maglite on a bike with a
> quick release?
>
> I live in Los ANgeles, and over the last few months I've havd increased issues with "wilding"
> attacks (assaults and attempted assaults from young males looking for racial and social economic
> revenge).
>
> [snip...]
>
> Changing paths and routes isn't much of an option because the attackers go into the "good
> neighborhood" to look for people to attack, and they will attack people even in broad daylight and
> on well traveled streets. (last attack was 4 blocks from a police station).

Originally posted by Brad
Does anyone know of company that sells or some way to mount 6 D-Cell maglite on a bike with a
quick release?

The only way I see you having any kind of 'quick access' is to have it stuck in a small backpack slung over your shoulder with the end of it sticking out to grab...

Brad wrote:

> Does anyone know of company that sells or some way to mount 6 D-Cell maglite on a bike with a
> quick release?

This looks like something to start with. http://www.tacticalflashlights.com/flashlights/maglite-auto-clamps--2-per-
package.html

A front pannier rack (not a "low rider" style) could hold those, open end up. Clip the flashlight
in, and it's obviously a headlight.

If necessary, something like heavy rubber bands (say, made of thin "bungee" cord) could make them
more secure.

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, omit what's between "at" and "cc"]

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:12:03 -0500, "ZeeExSixAre"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>"Nick Payne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Why not just move elsewhere...
>
>Because anybody can just stop what they're doing and move... Bad response to a valid question.

It's no worse a response than is common in this newsfroup. It certainly makes sense -- there's
nothing that would make me stay with that sort of thing going on. Then again, there's nothing that
would ever get me there in the first place...

Next time I think the locals here are crazy, I'll just have to remind myself of what's going on at
the opposite end of the country.

it somewhere. I'll post again if my fuzzy memory focuses.
--
Rick Onanian

In article <[email protected]>, usenet- [email protected] says...
> Brad wrote:
> > Does anyone know of company that sells or some way to mount 6 D-Cell maglite on a bike with a
> > quick release?
>
> The only way I see you having any kind of 'quick access' is to have it stuck in a small backpack
> slung over your shoulder with the end of it sticking out to grab...

I was hoping for some kind of frame clamp. Have to see what a friend of mine with a shop might be
able to whip up.

Too repond to one of the other people, about why don't I just leave...

So when should YOU stop running? If people don't take a stand eventually the gangstas will turn
every city into a third world war zone.

During the King Riots in LA, when the police turned tail and hide like cowards me and my neighbors
took the barricades to defend the fire department so they could save our neighborhood from the
racist gangstas.

Bicycle theieves should be treated like horse where in the old west. The police will nor or can not
protect us, and we have to hit back and hit hard.

On 10 Feb 2004 12:24:16 -0800, [email protected] (Brad) wrote:

>Does anyone know of company that sells or some way to mount 6 D-Cell maglite on a bike with a
>quick release?
>
>I live in Los ANgeles, and over the last few months I've havd increased issues with "wilding"
>attacks (assaults and attempted assaults from young males looking for racial and social economic
>revenge).
>
>Because of California's pro-criminal legal system, carrying a gun or knife would be a violation of
>the attackers civil rights if I used it, but a flashlight on a bike at night doesn't automatically
>equal carrying a weapon with the intent to use it for self defense.
>
>Yes I realize it is a legally grey, but with a 10-30 minute police reponse time on a good day, an
>improvised weapon is better then having cinder blocks dropped on ones head for half an hour until
>the police arrive.
>
>Changing paths and routes isn't much of an option because the attackers go into the "good
>neighborhood" to look for people to attack, and they will attack people even in broad daylight and
>on well traveled streets. (last attack was 4 blocks from a police station).

What about some sort of spray repellant. You could always claim in court that it was intended for
protection against an over aggressive dog.

Fredzep

On 10 Feb 2004 12:24:16 -0800, [email protected] (Brad) may have said:

>Does anyone know of company that sells or some way to mount 6 D-Cell maglite on a bike with a
>quick release?

Take a short, cheap, thick, solid aluminum threadless stem, cut the steerer end off, drill and tap a
couple of holes into the stub, mount a long piece of aluminum flat stock on that, and these on the
flat stock:

http://www.knifeandgear.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ASXD026

Using suitable shims in the handlebar clamp, mount the whole mess to the bars wherever there's room.

There's probably a ready-made version in sporting goods stores for use on ATVs.

it's also possible that I'm busy.

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 01:37:40 -0500, Fredzep <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On 10 Feb 2004 12:24:16 -0800, [email protected] (Brad) wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know of company that sells or some way to mount 6 D-Cell maglite on a bike with a
>>quick release?

Check hardware stores for "C" shaped devices normally used to hold flashlights, long handled tools,
etc... to walls. These clips can then be attached to strap-on bottle cage mounts and attached to the
bike. The weight of the 6D light may require more than 2 clips.

Personally, I'd probably shove the lamp in a back pack, like an arrow in a quiver, just as
I do pumps.

Barry

"Fredzep" wrote

> What about some sort of spray repellant. You could always claim in court that it was intended for
> protection against an over aggressive dog.
>
> Fredzep

Pepper spray has its limitations, especially if the wind is against you....
--
mark

"Brad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I live in Los ANgeles, and over the last few months I've havd increased issues with "wilding"
> attacks (assaults and attempted assaults from young males looking for racial and social economic
> revenge).

Am I the only one who finds the premise of this post disingenuous?

"Brad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone know of company that sells or some way to mount 6 D-Cell maglite on a bike with a
> quick release?
<snip>

Others here have posted links to the clips ... but why not use a chain instead? One of those
Kryptonite NY Chains with a heavy lock would be as effective as a flashlight. It would be a very
easy thing to justify in court too ... personally if I was in a jury I wouldn't buy your Maglite
story. We're talking about pretty serious stuff here. If you were forced to kill your attacker you
would be questioned heavily. A bicycle specific locking device would be easier to explain than a 6 D
Cell flashlight (especially if it happens at 1 in the afternoon while you're running an errand).

Myself, I was thinking of making a metal bicycle pump / hammer at my friends machine shop.

C.Q.C.

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 12:13:10 -0600, "Robert Canon"
<[email protected]> may have said:

>"Brad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> I live in Los ANgeles, and over the last few months I've havd increased issues with "wilding"
>> attacks (assaults and attempted assaults from young males looking for racial and social economic
>> revenge).
>
>Am I the only one who finds the premise of this post disingenuous?

Having a relative who lives in the same area, I find it to be only slightly paranoid.

Robert Canon <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Brad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > I live in Los ANgeles, and over the last few months I've havd increased issues with "wilding"
> > attacks (assaults and attempted assaults from young males looking for racial and social economic
> > revenge).

> Am I the only one who finds the premise of this post disingenuous?

No, you're not. Although, Los Angeles is very large and some parts are more hairy than some other
parts. OTOH, my most analogous experience there was when some yahoos threw eggs out of an SUV at me
(I was on foot) in a ritzy area of Pasadena, and I'm pretty sure they were whiteboys from San Marino
(rich, rich, rich). I don't buy the "revenge" bit. There are always some bullies who try to get a
little sociopathic fun by picking on what they see as easy targets.

According to Brad <[email protected]>:
>Does anyone know of company that sells or some way to mount 6 D-Cell maglite on a bike with a
>quick release?
>
>I live in Los ANgeles, and over the last few months I've havd increased issues with "wilding"
>attacks (assaults and attempted assaults from young males looking for racial and social economic
>revenge).

What area is this in? I ride on the Eastside often, never with any incident. What riding I've done
downtown has also been without hassle.

---
Lars

> Myself, I was thinking of making a metal bicycle pump / hammer at my
friends
> machine shop.

Wouldn't that constitute intent to maim or kill? What would a cyclist need the hammer part for? I'm
not trying to be difficult, I'm trying to see it from your (insightful) perspective.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Myself, I was thinking of making a metal bicycle pump / hammer at my
> friends
> > machine shop.
>

> Wouldn't that constitute intent to maim or kill? What would a cyclist
need
> the hammer part for? I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm trying to see it from your (insightful)
> perspective.

Well, many pumps are already shaped like one anyways ... something like this:

http://tinyurl.com/2lefo

If it was made from a nice solid piece of metal, then they way you would swing it would be like a
hammer for self defense. It wouldn't necessarily be a hammer, but I could see the value of a hammer
in certain situations ... like when you wipe out and have to bend things back just to get home. I
still like the chain and lock carried around the waist idea myself. That one seems to be popular
with NYC bike messengers.

C.Q.C.

"Lars Lehtonen" wrote
> According to Brad <[email protected]>:
> >I live in Los ANgeles, and over the last few months I've havd increased issues with "wilding"
> >attacks (assaults and attempted assaults from young males looking for racial and social economic
> >revenge).
>
> What area is this in? I ride on the Eastside often, never with any incident. What riding I've done
> downtown has also been without hassle.

Thank you!

In addition to my suspicions about the credibility of the OP, I wonder about the practicality of
improvised cudgels, maces, and war hammers for use from a bicycle...

Problem with those is that they don't work well on drunks & junkies. Also the stuff expires, and you
have to replace it.