6 month weight loss report (+ seeking advice)

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by SlenderBender, Jan 24, 2005.

  1. Hello, I'm a guy, 26 years old, and 5'10" tall. I started got started on LC
    6 months ago today and have lost 31 lbs. I was originally 180 lbs. My
    "stubborn" fat on my stomach, side, and chest have decreased a lot, but
    there's still too much there.

    My question is, should I continue on my current LC, or make any changes to
    it (more protein, etc)?

    I was running 4 times a week, but I can't do that or lift any weights for a
    few months because I broke my arm recently.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Tags:

  2. Saffire

    Saffire Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Hello, I'm a guy, 26 years old, and 5'10" tall. I started got started on LC
    > 6 months ago today and have lost 31 lbs. I was originally 180 lbs. My
    > "stubborn" fat on my stomach, side, and chest have decreased a lot, but
    > there's still too much there.
    >
    > My question is, should I continue on my current LC, or make any changes to
    > it (more protein, etc)?
    >
    > I was running 4 times a week, but I can't do that or lift any weights for a
    > few months because I broke my arm recently.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    Welcome to the group, SlenderBender! Congratulations on your loss!

    If you successfully lost weight doing what you are doing, I'd say to
    continue. You can maintain for a while. Depending on how many calories
    you are consuming, you could considering cutting them temporarily. It
    looks like you are probably plenty slim for your height, though.
    Consider doing sidebends or situps to tighten the stubborn areas if you
    can.

    --
    Saffire
    205/144/125 - 5'1.5"

  3. "Saffire" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    >> Hello, I'm a guy, 26 years old, and 5'10" tall. I started got started on
    >> LC
    >> 6 months ago today and have lost 31 lbs. I was originally 180 lbs. My
    >> "stubborn" fat on my stomach, side, and chest have decreased a lot, but
    >> there's still too much there.
    >>
    >> My question is, should I continue on my current LC, or make any changes
    >> it (more protein, etc)?
    >>
    >> I was running 4 times a week, but I can't do that or lift any weights for
    >> few months because I broke my arm recently.
    >>
    >> Any help would be appreciated.

    > Welcome to the group, SlenderBender! Congratulations on your loss!
    >
    > If you successfully lost weight doing what you are doing, I'd say to
    > continue. You can maintain for a while. Depending on how many calories
    > you are consuming, you could considering cutting them temporarily. It
    > looks like you are probably plenty slim for your height, though.
    > Consider doing sidebends or situps to tighten the stubborn areas if you
    > can.

    Thanks for your reply. I am pretty slim, but I don't look as thin as I
    weigh. For example, I was at the YMCA pool a few weeks ago and my friend
    didn't believe that I weighed 150 until I got on the scale. He said my
    stomach and slight spare tire made me look heavier than I am.

    I'll try the situps, but can they be done (effectively that is) with one
    working arm?

  4. There is no such thing as spot reduction, so situps won't help reduce your
    stomach fat without reducing your calories. Try exercising with your legs
    instead of your arms.

    --

    Eat less, exercise more. -- MFW

    --
    "SlenderBender" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Saffire" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> [email protected] says...
    >>> Hello, I'm a guy, 26 years old, and 5'10" tall. I started got started
    >>> on LC
    >>> 6 months ago today and have lost 31 lbs. I was originally 180 lbs. My
    >>> "stubborn" fat on my stomach, side, and chest have decreased a lot, but
    >>> there's still too much there.
    >>>
    >>> My question is, should I continue on my current LC, or make any changes
    >>> it (more protein, etc)?
    >>>
    >>> I was running 4 times a week, but I can't do that or lift any weights
    >>> for a
    >>> few months because I broke my arm recently.
    >>>
    >>> Any help would be appreciated.

    >> Welcome to the group, SlenderBender! Congratulations on your loss!
    >>
    >> If you successfully lost weight doing what you are doing, I'd say to
    >> continue. You can maintain for a while. Depending on how many calories
    >> you are consuming, you could considering cutting them temporarily. It
    >> looks like you are probably plenty slim for your height, though.
    >> Consider doing sidebends or situps to tighten the stubborn areas if you
    >> can.
    >>

    > Thanks for your reply. I am pretty slim, but I don't look as thin as I
    > weigh. For example, I was at the YMCA pool a few weeks ago and my friend
    > didn't believe that I weighed 150 until I got on the scale. He said my
    > stomach and slight spare tire made me look heavier than I am.
    >
    > I'll try the situps, but can they be done (effectively that is) with one
    > working arm?

  5. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    "SlenderBender" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hello, I'm a guy, 26 years old, and 5'10" tall. I started got started on
    > LC 6 months ago today and have lost 31 lbs. I was originally 180 lbs. My
    > "stubborn" fat on my stomach, side, and chest have decreased a lot, but
    > there's still too much there.
    >
    > My question is, should I continue on my current LC, or make any changes to
    > it (more protein, etc)?
    >
    > I was running 4 times a week, but I can't do that or lift any weights for
    > a few months because I broke my arm recently.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    From the info you've given it sounds like you have too little muscle, and
    perhaps that's where you should focus. Upper body is a bit of a problem
    until the arm mends, but you can do legs and arms. Also if you just work on
    the good arm you'll get to look like a tennis player!

  6. DJ Delorie

    DJ Delorie Guest

    "SlenderBender" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Hello, I'm a guy, 26 years old, and 5'10" tall. I started got
    > started on LC 6 months ago today and have lost 31 lbs. I was
    > originally 180 lbs.

    Ok, so you're 5'10" and 150 lbs. You're at the point where losing
    more fat is hard (I'm 5'10" and 170, so I know). This is the point
    where you should start lowering calories a little more (not too fast
    though), keeping protein high (150g/day or more) and just be patient.
    It might take a year to get rid of the stubborn fat, but slow and
    steady win the race here.

    > My "stubborn" fat on my stomach, side, and chest have decreased a
    > lot, but there's still too much there.

    This will be the hardest to lose, too.

    > I was running 4 times a week, but I can't do that or lift any
    > weights for a few months because I broke my arm recently.

    You can do dumbell workouts on the other arm, and leg work on gym
    machines. For cardio, use the bikes at the gym. You can still walk,
    and go up and down stairs for legs, etc. Talk to your doc about this.

  7. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:08:33 GMT, SlenderBender <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > "Saffire" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> [email protected] says...
    >>> Hello, I'm a guy, 26 years old, and 5'10" tall. I started got started
    >>> on
    >>> LC
    >>> 6 months ago today and have lost 31 lbs. I was originally 180 lbs. My
    >>> "stubborn" fat on my stomach, side, and chest have decreased a lot, but
    >>> there's still too much there.
    >>>
    >>> My question is, should I continue on my current LC, or make any changes
    >>> it (more protein, etc)?
    >>>
    >>> I was running 4 times a week, but I can't do that or lift any weights
    >>> for
    >>> few months because I broke my arm recently.
    >>>
    >>> Any help would be appreciated.

    >> Welcome to the group, SlenderBender! Congratulations on your loss!
    >>
    >> If you successfully lost weight doing what you are doing, I'd say to
    >> continue. You can maintain for a while. Depending on how many calories
    >> you are consuming, you could considering cutting them temporarily. It
    >> looks like you are probably plenty slim for your height, though.
    >> Consider doing sidebends or situps to tighten the stubborn areas if you
    >> can.
    >>

    > Thanks for your reply. I am pretty slim, but I don't look as thin as I
    > weigh. For example, I was at the YMCA pool a few weeks ago and my friend
    > didn't believe that I weighed 150 until I got on the scale. He said my
    > stomach and slight spare tire made me look heavier than I am.
    >
    > I'll try the situps, but can they be done (effectively that is) with one
    > working arm?

    You shouldn't use either arm for situps. There's also crunches (though
    these may be hard with one arm). Leg raises on the floor, although again
    one arm is rough. You can't jog?

    --
    Bob in CT

  8. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 08:38:23 -0500, Anthony <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "SlenderBender" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Hello, I'm a guy, 26 years old, and 5'10" tall. I started got started
    >> on
    >> LC 6 months ago today and have lost 31 lbs. I was originally 180 lbs.
    >> My
    >> "stubborn" fat on my stomach, side, and chest have decreased a lot, but
    >> there's still too much there.
    >>
    >> My question is, should I continue on my current LC, or make any changes
    >> it (more protein, etc)?
    >>
    >> I was running 4 times a week, but I can't do that or lift any weights
    >> for
    >> a few months because I broke my arm recently.
    >>
    >> Any help would be appreciated.

    > From the info you've given it sounds like you have too little muscle, and
    > perhaps that's where you should focus. Upper body is a bit of a problem
    > until the arm mends, but you can do legs and arms. Also if you just
    > work on
    > the good arm you'll get to look like a tennis player!

    With a broken arm, it might be hard to do legs. You couldn't do squats
    with weights, for instance (although you could do them without weight).
    You'd be relegated to machine movements, like leg presses and curls. Even
    standing calf raises might be hard (I always stabilize myself with my
    hands). If you could go to the gym and do 15-20 minutes of machines and
    then jog (could you do a stair stepper machine or treadmill?), it might
    not be bad.

    --
    Bob in CT

  9. Saffire <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    > > Hello, I'm a guy, 26 years old, and 5'10" tall. I started got started on LC
    > > 6 months ago today and have lost 31 lbs. I was originally 180 lbs. My
    > > "stubborn" fat on my stomach, side, and chest have decreased a lot, but
    > > there's still too much there.
    > >
    > > My question is, should I continue on my current LC, or make any changes to
    > > it (more protein, etc)?
    > >
    > > I was running 4 times a week, but I can't do that or lift any weights for a
    > > few months because I broke my arm recently.
    > >
    > > Any help would be appreciated.

    > Welcome to the group, SlenderBender! Congratulations on your loss!
    >
    > If you successfully lost weight doing what you are doing, I'd say to
    > continue. You can maintain for a while. Depending on how many calories
    > you are consuming, you could considering cutting them temporarily. It
    > looks like you are probably plenty slim for your height, though.
    > Consider doing sidebends or situps to tighten the stubborn areas if you
    > can.

    spot reduction is a myth.

  10. DJ Delorie

    DJ Delorie Guest

    [email protected] (The Queen of Cans and Jars) writes:
    > > Consider doing sidebends or situps to tighten the stubborn areas
    > > if you can.

    > spot reduction is a myth.

    But spot muscle development, which is what "tightening" is, is
    certainly an option.

  11. DJ Delorie <[email protected]> wrote:

    > [email protected] (The Queen of Cans and Jars) writes:
    > > > Consider doing sidebends or situps to tighten the stubborn areas
    > > > if you can.

    > > spot reduction is a myth.

    > But spot muscle development, which is what "tightening" is, is
    > certainly an option.

    his best option is to reduce his bodyfat, and you know it.

  12. SlenderBender wrote:

    > Hello, I'm a guy, 26 years old, and 5'10" tall. I started got started on
    > LC
    > 6 months ago today and have lost 31 lbs. I was originally 180 lbs. My
    > "stubborn" fat on my stomach, side, and chest have decreased a lot, but
    > there's still too much there.
    >
    > My question is, should I continue on my current LC, or make any changes to
    > it (more protein, etc)?
    >
    > I was running 4 times a week, but I can't do that or lift any weights for
    > a few months because I broke my arm recently.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    I'm the same height. I thought my ideal weight was 72kg/158lb when swimming
    50 min/day, 4 days/week.

    When your arm gets better consider joining a gym for
    conditioning/strengthening your upper body. An well-qualified gym
    instructor can get you putting on muscle in the right places.

    When you're near your ideal weight, adding muscle/reducing fat/becoming a
    chick magnet is a fine balancing act & genetic play a big part!

    gtoomey

  13. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:04:05 GMT, The Queen of Cans and Jars
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > DJ Delorie <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> > spot reduction is a myth.

    >> But spot muscle development, which is what "tightening" is, is
    >> certainly an option.

    > his best option is to reduce his bodyfat, and you know it.

    Not really. Adding muscle would be beneficial for multiple reasons, not
    the least of which is a larger amount of calories burnt daily. Plus,
    adding trunk muscle helps posture, which can make someone look thinner.

    --
    Bob in CT

  14. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    news:[email protected]

  15. Bob M <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:04:05 GMT, The Queen of Cans and Jars
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > DJ Delorie <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >> But spot muscle development, which is what "tightening" is, is
    > >> certainly an option.

    > > his best option is to reduce his bodyfat, and you know it.
    > >

    > Not really. Adding muscle would be beneficial for multiple reasons, not
    > the least of which is a larger amount of calories burnt daily. Plus,
    > adding trunk muscle helps posture, which can make someone look thinner.

    adding muscle is always beneficial. no one's saying it isn't.

  16. DJ Delorie

    DJ Delorie Guest

    [email protected] (The Queen of Cans and Jars) writes:
    > DJ Delorie <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > But spot muscle development, which is what "tightening" is, is
    > > certainly an option.

    > his best option is to reduce his bodyfat, and you know it.

    Of course I know it. I recommended it in an earlier post, too. But
    meanwhile, strengthening the underlying muscles can improve the
    appearance of that area while you're waiting.

  17. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:46:45 GMT, The Queen of Cans and Jars
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Bob M <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:04:05 GMT, The Queen of Cans and Jars
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> > his best option is to reduce his bodyfat, and you know it.
    >> >

    >> Not really. Adding muscle would be beneficial for multiple reasons, not
    >> the least of which is a larger amount of calories burnt daily. Plus,
    >> adding trunk muscle helps posture, which can make someone look thinner.

    > adding muscle is always beneficial. no one's saying it isn't.

    Spot reduction is, as you've noted, not correct (in fact, if you add
    muscle without losing weight, you can gain circumference, which will make
    some people feel even worse).

    --
    Bob in CT

  18. DJ Delorie

    DJ Delorie Guest

    "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> writes:
    > What what tightening is? Says who? Fat on top of muscle ain't tight.

    If I tighten my abs, I suck in my gut, I look thinner, yes?

  19. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    DJ Delorie wrote:
    :: [email protected] (The Queen of Cans and Jars) writes:
    :::: Consider doing sidebends or situps to tighten the stubborn areas
    :::: if you can.
    :::
    ::: spot reduction is a myth.
    ::
    :: But spot muscle development, which is what "tightening" is, is
    :: certainly an option.

    What what tightening is? Says who? Fat on top of muscle ain't tight.

  20. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Bob M wrote:
    :: On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:04:05 GMT, The Queen of Cans and Jars
    :: <[email protected]> wrote:
    ::
    ::: DJ Delorie <[email protected]> wrote:
    :::
    :::: [email protected] (The Queen of Cans and Jars) writes:
    :::::: Consider doing sidebends or situps to tighten the stubborn areas
    :::::: if you can.
    :::::
    ::::: spot reduction is a myth.
    ::::
    :::: But spot muscle development, which is what "tightening" is, is
    :::: certainly an option.
    :::
    ::: his best option is to reduce his bodyfat, and you know it.
    :::
    ::
    :: Not really. Adding muscle would be beneficial for multiple reasons,
    :: not the least of which is a larger amount of calories burnt daily.
    :: Plus, adding trunk muscle helps posture, which can make someone look
    :: thinner.

    But fat over muscle with make him look thicker.

    ::
    :: --
    :: Bob in CT