6 month weight loss report (+ seeking advice)

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by SlenderBender, Jan 24, 2005.

  1. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    DJ Delorie wrote:
    :: [email protected] (The Queen of Cans and Jars) writes:
    ::: DJ Delorie <[email protected]> wrote:
    :::: But spot muscle development, which is what "tightening" is, is
    :::: certainly an option.
    :::
    ::: his best option is to reduce his bodyfat, and you know it.
    ::
    :: Of course I know it. I recommended it in an earlier post, too. But
    :: meanwhile, strengthening the underlying muscles can improve the
    :: appearance of that area while you're waiting.

    but this best option is to lose bodyfat - to solve the problem as stated.
    Moving those legs is a good way to do that....stationary bike, dreadmill,
    walking...

  2. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    DJ Delorie wrote:
    :: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> writes:
    ::: What what tightening is? Says who? Fat on top of muscle ain't
    ::: tight.
    ::
    :: If I tighten my abs, I suck in my gut, I look thinner, yes?

    :)

    If you get rid of the fat, your gut shrinks without sucking in your gut. If
    you add muscle, you gut expands. If had muscle that is under fat, your gut
    thickens while not necessarily revealing that muscle. If you add muscle
    with little fat under the skin, you get a six pack!

  3. DJ Delorie

    DJ Delorie Guest

    "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> writes:
    > but this best option is to lose bodyfat - to solve the problem as stated.

    Yes. My first post on this thread said that.

  4. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    DJ Delorie wrote:
    :: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> writes:
    ::: but this best option is to lose bodyfat - to solve the problem as
    ::: stated.
    ::
    :: Yes. My first post on this thread said that.

    oh....sorry.

  5. Lurker

    Lurker Guest

    JC Der Koenig wrote:

    > There is no such thing as spot reduction, so situps won't help reduce your
    > stomach fat without reducing your calories. Try exercising with your legs
    > instead of your arms.

    She said to do them in an attempt to tighten the areas, not to reduce
    the fat. Making the obliques and abs tighter at rest will make the areas
    in question look smaller won't it?

  6. Lurker

    Lurker Guest

    SlenderBender wrote:

    > Hello, I'm a guy, 26 years old, and 5'10" tall. I started got started on LC
    > 6 months ago today and have lost 31 lbs. I was originally 180 lbs. My
    > "stubborn" fat on my stomach, side, and chest have decreased a lot, but
    > there's still too much there.
    >
    > My question is, should I continue on my current LC, or make any changes to
    > it (more protein, etc)?
    >
    > I was running 4 times a week, but I can't do that or lift any weights for a
    > few months because I broke my arm recently.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    HIIT on a stationary bike?

  7. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:28:53 -0800, Lurker <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > JC Der Koenig wrote:
    >
    >> There is no such thing as spot reduction, so situps won't help reduce
    >> your stomach fat without reducing your calories. Try exercising with
    >> your legs instead of your arms.
    >>

    > She said to do them in an attempt to tighten the areas, not to reduce
    > the fat. Making the obliques and abs tighter at rest will make the areas
    > in question look smaller won't it?

    Unless you gain muscle mass in that area and don't lose weight. Ever see
    Mike Mentzer?

    --
    Bob in CT

  8. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:44:18 -0500, Roger Zoul <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Lurker wrote:
    > :: SlenderBender wrote:
    > ::
    > ::: Hello, I'm a guy, 26 years old, and 5'10" tall. I started got
    > ::: started on LC 6 months ago today and have lost 31 lbs. I was
    > ::: originally 180 lbs. My "stubborn" fat on my stomach, side, and
    > ::: chest have decreased a lot, but there's still too much there.
    > :::
    > ::: My question is, should I continue on my current LC, or make any
    > ::: changes to it (more protein, etc)?
    > :::
    > ::: I was running 4 times a week, but I can't do that or lift any
    > ::: weights for a few months because I broke my arm recently.
    > :::
    > ::: Any help would be appreciated.
    > :::
    > :::
    > :: HIIT on a stationary bike?
    >
    > Very possible provided one can really haul butt with one hand....

    You'd have to set up the bike for this, but maybe that's possible.

    --
    Bob in CT

  9. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Lurker wrote:
    :: SlenderBender wrote:
    ::
    ::: Hello, I'm a guy, 26 years old, and 5'10" tall. I started got
    ::: started on LC 6 months ago today and have lost 31 lbs. I was
    ::: originally 180 lbs. My "stubborn" fat on my stomach, side, and
    ::: chest have decreased a lot, but there's still too much there.
    :::
    ::: My question is, should I continue on my current LC, or make any
    ::: changes to it (more protein, etc)?
    :::
    ::: I was running 4 times a week, but I can't do that or lift any
    ::: weights for a few months because I broke my arm recently.
    :::
    ::: Any help would be appreciated.
    :::
    :::
    :: HIIT on a stationary bike?

    Very possible provided one can really haul butt with one hand....

  10. Lurker

    Lurker Guest

    Bob M wrote:

    > On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:28:53 -0800, Lurker
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> JC Der Koenig wrote:
    >>
    >>> There is no such thing as spot reduction, so situps won't help
    >>> reduce your stomach fat without reducing your calories. Try
    >>> exercising with your legs instead of your arms.
    >>>

    >> She said to do them in an attempt to tighten the areas, not to reduce
    >> the fat. Making the obliques and abs tighter at rest will make the
    >> areas in question look smaller won't it?
    >>

    > Unless you gain muscle mass in that area and don't lose weight. Ever
    > see Mike Mentzer?

    Ok, ok, do you wanna hold the straw or the razor?

    Lurker

  11. Lurker

    Lurker Guest

    Roger Zoul wrote:

    > Lurker wrote:
    > :: SlenderBender wrote:
    > ::
    > ::: Hello, I'm a guy, 26 years old, and 5'10" tall. I started got
    > ::: started on LC 6 months ago today and have lost 31 lbs. I was
    > ::: originally 180 lbs. My "stubborn" fat on my stomach, side, and
    > ::: chest have decreased a lot, but there's still too much there.
    > :::
    > ::: My question is, should I continue on my current LC, or make any
    > ::: changes to it (more protein, etc)?
    > :::
    > ::: I was running 4 times a week, but I can't do that or lift any
    > ::: weights for a few months because I broke my arm recently.
    > :::
    > ::: Any help would be appreciated.
    > :::
    > :::
    > :: HIIT on a stationary bike?
    >
    > Very possible provided one can really haul butt with one hand....

    I don't have any idea. I loath stationary bikes. Will do the dreadmill
    way before hand. I was just brainstorming outloud.

    Lurker

  12. DJ Delorie <[email protected]> wrote:

    > [email protected] (The Queen of Cans and Jars) writes:
    > > DJ Delorie <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > > But spot muscle development, which is what "tightening" is, is
    > > > certainly an option.

    > > his best option is to reduce his bodyfat, and you know it.

    > Of course I know it. I recommended it in an earlier post, too. But
    > meanwhile, strengthening the underlying muscles can improve the
    > appearance of that area while you're waiting.

    marginally, yeah.

  13. DJ Delorie <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> writes:
    > > but this best option is to lose bodyfat - to solve the problem as stated.

    > Yes. My first post on this thread said that.

    well then, we're all in agreement!

    :D

  14. "Lurker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > JC Der Koenig wrote:
    >
    >> There is no such thing as spot reduction, so situps won't help reduce
    >> your stomach fat without reducing your calories. Try exercising with your
    >> legs instead of your arms.
    >>

    > She said to do them in an attempt to tighten the areas, not to reduce the
    > fat. Making the obliques and abs tighter at rest will make the areas in
    > question look smaller won't it?

    The amount that you get "tighter" wouldn't be noticed under all that flab.