6 MPH Speed Limit on the Union Canal?

On 31 Jan, 20:01, iarocu <[email protected]> wrote:
> After complaints about speeding cyclists British waterways impose a
> 6mph speed limit on all users of the towpath.
>
> That will mean no jogging then?

No running ahead of the boat to open the lock gates either.

On 1 Feb, 16:24, Mark <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <65effaef-e715-48d8-9c0c-056d0bb465e8
> @e4g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, [email protected] says...> On 31 Jan, 20:01, iarocu <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > After complaints about speeding cyclists British waterways impose a
> > > 6mph speed limit on all users of the towpath.

I have ridden this towpath a lot, usually doing about 20-25kph as part
of a commute from Livingston to the Gyle. I have a bell, good lights
and slow down and sound the bell at 'pinch points' such as the bridges
etc. In doing this I keep a car off the road and save quite a lot of
CO2, but I have to be able to go reasonably fast. 6mph is about 9.5
kmph so abiding by the speed limit will mean that a journey that
currently takes about an hour will take nearly 2.5 - far too long to
fit into a working day's routine.

I have always managed to greet pedestrians cheerfully and avoid any
serious incidents. The ones that are most difficult to deal with are
joggers with their walkmans on. It's not uncommon for them to be
running 3 abreast taking up the full width of the track. I have
dinged, shouted and waved - they are oblivious. Even slowing to their
pace (6mph?) and shouting again still doesn't get through to some, the
only option being to tap them on the shoulder (which makes them jump).
Their usual response is "blinking biker" (or words similar and staring
with an "f".)

I have also been chased by dogs (they easily exceed 6 mph) either
because they weren't under control or in one case because the human
thought that it was OK to encourage them. Oh and in case I forget to
mention it there is an old guy who haunts the stretch after the
aquaduct and before Armondell park who turns to face you and actively
seeks to stand in your way. (It may be the effects of his Buckfast).

The 6 mph is daft - consideration BY ALL users FOR ALL users is what
is required.

On 3 Feb, 11:47, Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > On 1 Feb, 16:24, Mark <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> In article <65effaef-e715-48d8-9c0c-056d0bb465e8
> >> @e4g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, [email protected] says...> On 31 Jan,

Here's the Scottish division email address
[email protected]

I suggest you report people, dogs, motorcyclists etc exceeding the 6
mph speed limit every time you see them - it is your civic duty to do
so!

On 3 Feb, 16:58, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On 3 Feb, 11:47, Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > [email protected] wrote:

> Here's the Scottish division email address
> [email protected]
>
> I suggest you report people, dogs, motorcyclists etc exceeding the 6
> mph speed limit every time you see them - it is your civic duty to do
> so!

HUM - did that come out? enquiries [dot] scotland [at] and so on.

[email protected] wrote:
> On 3 Feb, 16:58, "[email protected]"

You are using google, which munges emails to stop software grabbing them
from its' site for junk mail lists.

Google manages to post the email correctly, see your most recent address
above, but munges the email when google reads the post back in.

>> Here's the Scottish division email address
>> [email protected]

Hence the above address appeared correctly to most people the first time
you posted, but got munged for you on google.

>> I suggest you report people, dogs, motorcyclists etc exceeding the 6
>> mph speed limit every time you see them - it is your civic duty to do
>> so!

Now that sounds like a superb idea ;-)