6 speed derailleur problem

Shincat

Guest
Hello,

I have a 1986 road bicycle equipped with Shimano 600 EX parts. The short cage rear derailleur was
destroyed in a crash. They don't make 6 speed rear derailleur anymore. What are my viable options
short of selling this bicycle.

Thanks, Ted.

Any modern short cage derailleur should be a suitable replacement.

Nick

news:[email protected]...

"ShinCat" wrote:
> I have a 1986 road bicycle equipped with Shimano 600 EX parts. The short cage rear derailleur was
> destroyed in a crash. They don't make 6 speed
rear
> derailleur anymore. What are my viable options short of selling this bicycle.

Those derailleurs often show up on eBay. But if you're using friction shifters, I think any modern
derailleur (e.g., Shimano 105) would probably work at least as well as your 600EX. Make sure your
derailleur hanger wasn't bent in the crash.

Art Harris

shincat-<< I have a 1986 road bicycle equipped with Shimano 600 EX parts. The short cage rear
derailleur was destroyed in a crash. They don't make 6 speed rear derailleur anymore. What are my
viable options short of selling this bicycle. >><BR><BR>

Use any modern shimano short cage rear der, any one they make, from DA down to Sora...all will work
just fine...

Thanks for all the responses. Suppose I wanted index shifting. The rear cog is a 105 index rear, I
believe. I would only require a 6 speed index downtube shifter then?

Thanks! ShinCat.

> shincat-<< I have a 1986 road bicycle equipped with Shimano 600 EX parts.
The
> short cage rear derailleur was destroyed in a crash. They don't make 6 speed
rear
> derailleur anymore. What are my viable options short of selling this bicycle. >><BR><BR>
>
> Use any modern shimano short cage rear der, any one they make, from DA
down to
> Sora...all will work just fine...

Originally posted by Shincat
Thanks for all the responses. Suppose I wanted index shifting. The rear cog is a 105 index rear, I
believe. I would only require a 6 speed index downtube shifter then?

Thanks! ShinCat.

> shincat-<< I have a 1986 road bicycle equipped with Shimano 600 EX parts.
The
> short cage rear derailleur was destroyed in a crash. They don't make 6 speed
rear
> derailleur anymore. What are my viable options short of selling this bicycle. >><BR><BR>
>
> Use any modern shimano short cage rear der, any one they make, from DA
down to
> Sora...all will work just fine...

You might want to get a 7 speed deraileur and use the stop limits while using a six cogger just in case you later upgrade to 7 speed. The difference in indexing between a six and seven is small enough that you can use 7 speed indexing on that cog. Since it sounds as if you're considering new shifters. If you get the five speed der, you might not find it would work on the 7 speed freewheel/cassette. Likewsie, if you upgrade to index shifters, go with 7 not 6.

Originally posted by meb
You might want to get a 7 speed deraileur and use the stop limits while using a six cogger just in case you later upgrade to 7 speed. The difference in indexing between a six and seven is small enough that you can use 7 speed indexing on that cog. Since it sounds as if you're considering new shifters. If you get the five speed der, you might not find it would work on the 7 speed freewheel/cassette. Likewsie, if you upgrade to index shifters, go with 7 not 6.
There really is no such thing as a '7' speed RD. The indexing is in the shifter,although the RD also has to have the compatible throw ratio. A RD off a 6 speed shimano index system would work as well as a current 9 speed. One has to be careful of the pre 9 speed DA RD and use them only with the appropriate DA shifters. If it's a friction system, anything works.

Originally posted by boudreaux
There really is no such thing as a '7' speed RD. The indexing is in the shifter,although the RD also has to have the compatible throw ratio. A RD off a 6 speed shimano index system would work as well as a current 9 speed. One has to be careful of the pre 9 speed DA RD and use them only with the appropriate DA shifters. If it's a friction system, anything works.

Shincat's first post indicated Shimano no longer makes 6 speed deraileurs. There is a range of travel issue with the deraileur, not an indexing issue in the deraileur. A five speed deraileur is pushing the envelope on a 7 cog system. Some 5 speed derailuers cannot handle the travel for a 7-cog system, but should have no problem with a 6 cog system.

Shincat's second post indicated he is considering changing to indexed shifters, if changing shifters anyway-a 7 speed shifter could prove prudent for use as a forseeable upgrade-a six speed indexed shifter ought not work on seven cogs.

Hello,

thanks for all the excellent advice everyone. I now have a much better picture of what I need. The
best solution would be to find a rare 600 EX SIS RD and indexed shifter since I wouldn't have to
change the cog set. The next best thing would be to find a 7 speed SIS system. Am I correct? Budget
is very limited.

Thanks and yours truly, Ted (ShinCat)

"meb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Shincat wrote:
> > Thanks for all the responses. Suppose I wanted index shifting. The
rear
> > cog is a 105 index rear, I believe. I would only require a 6 speed
> > downtube shifter then? Thanks! ShinCat. "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > message

[email protected]:20031024083923.18272.0000-

ShinCat wrote:

> Hello,
>
> thanks for all the excellent advice everyone. I now have a much better picture of what I need. The
> best solution would be to find a rare 600 EX SIS RD and indexed shifter since I wouldn't have to
> change the cog set. The next best thing would be to find a 7 speed SIS system. Am I correct?
> Budget is very limited.

I snipped below your top post.

No, that's not correct. You need only the shifter and a Shimano-type rear changer. Any Shimmano type
changer (Shimano, SunRace, etc) . It matters not what number is hot-stamped on the front (
5,6,7,8,9,10 speed), the ratio of cable input to body lateral movement is the same.

(Peter clearly wrote just that yesterday.)

You might possibly find the limiting screws too short for a five or six setup with a newer changer.
It is trivial to swap a longer 4mm screw. I find this only where the high gear is radically far from
the outside.

Seven speed shifters and freewheels are very available and cheap.

Hello,

Thanks for the advice. My current freewheel/cog set is a 6 speed Shimano unit. I can purchase a 7
speed index shifting system (DR and shifter) and adjust the limiting screws so it doesn't shift into
either the chain or the spokes. I can later purchase a 7 speed cog set. Correct? Any recommendations
and what you folks would use for a 7 speed index system? How much would it cost? This bike is my
commuter vehicle.

Thanks, ShinCat

A shy person wrote:

> Thanks for the advice. My current freewheel/cog set is a 6 speed Shimano unit. I can purchase a 7
> speed index shifting system (DR and shifter) and adjust the limiting screws so it doesn't shift
> into either the chain or the spokes. I can later purchase a 7 speed cog set. Correct?

Not quite. 7-speed shifters won't index properly with your 6 speed cluster, so you shouldn't replace
the shifters until you're ready to convert completely to 7-speed.

As long as you stick with the 6-speed setup, you can use any current Shimano derailer. The derailer
does not care how many speeds. Any modern Shimano derailer will work with 5-, 6-, 7-, 8-, 9-, or
10-sprocket clusters, as long as the shift lever matches the number of sprockets.

> Any recommendations and what you folks would use for a 7 speed index system? How much would it
> cost? This bike is my commuter vehicle.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/derailers.html#rear

_Any_ of the Shimano derailers listed there will work for you.

| The people who live in a Golden Age usually go around | complaining how yellow everything looks.
| | -- Randall Jarrell |