6 speed to 7 speed upgrade, mountain bike

Andy Muzi wrote:

> Or a six speed cassette

I have an illustrated Web page that shows how to tell the difference
betwixt freewheels and cassettes:

http://sheldonbrown.com/free-k7

Sheldon "http://sheldonbrown.com/" Brown
| War is God's way of teaching Americans geography. |
| -Ambrose Bierce |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

[email protected] wrote:

> Long, long ago, *all* of Shimano's lines included 6-speed cassettes,
> from Dura-Ace:
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano1982/pages/21.html
> down to Adamas:
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano1982/pages/33.html

While Shimano _offered_ this option, very few bike makers actually
_bought_ them, so they're quite rare on the ground.

When Shimano moved to 7-speed, they initially only offered it in the
cassette format except for the high-priced Dura-Ace and Santé line.
This marketing move was what finally caused OEMs to start specing
Shimano Freehubs on bikes, 'cause it was the only way to do 7-speed SIS.

Clever scheme on Shimano's part that turned them from a minor hub
supplier to the dominant one.

> (Adamas? Wasn't he on "Battlestar Galactica"?)

Or was it Space 1999?

Sheldon "Cyclehistory" Brown
| Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. |
| --Salvor Hardin (Isaac Asimov) |