60 Mph on tour

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by vchu7105, Jul 15, 2005.

1. vchu7105

vchu7105 New Member

I saw the guys in the Tour De France riding 60 MPH down hills. I have a trek 1000, Yr 2005 and I've never hit more then low 30's mph down hills. Are the hills that steep and/or is my bike holding me back that much?? Whats the fastest in MPH people have gone on an Al Frame??

Tags:

2. martin_j001

martin_j001 New Member

It has nothing to do with your bike or the material, but it does have everything to do with the length of the downhill. They are going downhill--at a -6% grade or greater for sometimes up to 20k at once--imagine the amount of momentum built up in that distance. Its not hard at all to reach those speeds when the downhills are that long--it is harder to control the bike though!!! :D

3. mdbrown

mdbrown New Member

and scary as hell too.

4. martin_j001

martin_j001 New Member

I hit about 58 or so before on my way down some of the mountains on the Three Gap ride up in Dahlonega, GA (I weigh about 230, so its not all that hard). I was enjoying it so much that I was chasing the motorcycles down the last descent. Now that I look back at that, I'm glad to be alive, and probably won't be sprinting downhill again too soon (although that could change when I get the adrenaline rush of going that fast)!! :D

5. 50mph

50mph New Member

The access road at Killington Vermont! I've done 53mph on a Cdale road bike someone let me ride and somewhere in the low 40's on my mountain bike. It's all about finding the right road!

6. vchu7105

vchu7105 New Member

I Live in SouthEastern Mass, Dartmouth area, can anyone recommend a somewhat car free hill, So I can try some speeds?

7. dhk

dhk New Member

55 mph here, down a local hill with a tailwind. Normal speeds are about 45 mph on this hill, which (according to Topo map software) has a straight 11% section for about 1/2 mile.

As previous poster said, really has very little to do with your bike. The key to speed is "sufficient" bodyweight, and a good aero tuck position. If you coast downhill with another rider of similar weight, the benefits of good aero position will be obvious.

8. Peter Verdesi

Peter Verdesi New Member

I hit 52mph on an old ('96 vintage) Cannondale R900 w/Spinergy Wheels and aerobars during a triathlon on a rather long decent. I agree with the other posts that it has alot to do with position on the bike, weight(maybe), and balls (some folks get a bit scared and hold back)

9. nun

nun New Member

35mph is my max on a hill between Belmont and Lincoln MA. It wasn't a very
    long hill, but I think I could have done over 40mph. At 35 I feathered the brakes becuase that's about fast enough for me given the unevenness of the surface.

10. meb

meb New Member

Radar gun recorded a 62 mph speed on stage 15.

11. 50mph

50mph New Member

There was a 15 mile 6% downhill the other day and everybody was doing 60's. That decent followed a grueling climb, so they all started it tired with dead legs, but that sort of decent takes a tremendous amount of strenghth, supporting your body weight the whole time is tough on legs and arms, plus bike has incredible amount of momentum at that speed, really takes a pro to ride like that. These guys are all just the best riders in the world and lance makes them all look like amateurs.

12. rv

rv New Member

53 mph on a short (3/4 mile), steep downhill w/o much pedaling.

13. dhk

dhk New Member

Hey, it's a lot easier than climbing up the hills! In fact, I don't find a straight descent to be work at all; just pure enjoyment and relaxation. Twisties on a long descent which require heads-up braking and cornering lines are another issue....my hands and forearms get tired from repeated braking after a few dozen corners.

14. 50mph

50mph New Member

I'm not saying that it's more tiring, but there's a HELL OF A LOT MORE AT STAKE. And the mountain roads they're on are twisty as hell!!

15. baj32161

baj32161 New Member

I have hit 41.1MPH on this bike, on my way to work here in Trenton NJ...just this past week. That is my personal best so far on this bike ('04 LeMond Tourmalet). I had to make a sweeping left turn at the bottom and that was very scary. My fastest ever was 47MPH on ym old 1978 Viscount Grand Touring when I was in HS back in 1978. It was a long downhill that made a nice right turn onto a longer (approx 2 mile) downhill...and I passed a VW Bug and his speedometer read 45MPH and I passed him slowly enough to read it...If I had any sense I wouldn't have done it with all of the potholes in that road.....

Ahhhhh youth and stupidity!!

But it was fun...I still remember it like it was yesterday

16. dhk

dhk New Member

Agree the twisty, winding descents can get tiring on a long mountain ride. Braking pumps up the forearms, and constantly having to pick out the lines and look ahead for gravel, motos, other bikes and cars does take a lot of concentration. It's fun for a while, then turns into work to maintain concentration and focus needed.

And as as you say, one mistake could be costly. Overcooking a corner, seeing gravel or mud at the last minute, locking up a wheel or having a car pull out in front of you all raise the risks and add to the stress factor.

17. RWillieK

RWillieK New Member

I hit the upper thirties, and mid forties on my bike all the time, but I also live in a hilly area. The tour runs through the mountains, I'm sure they hit greater speeds than that downhill.

Robbie

18. dhk

dhk New Member

Same here. I hit 38-40 mph in less than a minute after rolling out of my driveway every day. Guess those of us who live in the hills get a bit jaded to the speeds.

19. southwind

southwind New Member

Wow, real cool fatty.

20. impakt

impakt New Member

thats insane.. i topped my bike out at around 45 and think i wet myself. this is after 10 years of riding motorcycles capable of 190mph. and doing close to that myself.:eek: